The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
histed

30-30 reloads "walking"

I'm working on a load for a 94 Winchester 30-30, 20" barrel. Last night I went to the range to shoot some new prospests, using both LVR and 8208XBR. Got an odd result with both. I shoot 5 shot groups, then let the rigle cool and shoot five more. Last night the first three of all four groups were well under 1" (50 yards), but the fourth would be about 2" left and # 5 about 2" high/left. RIfle cools, same thing - 3 touching, 2 flyers. Granted, I was shooting near max loads and the air temp was around 80F, but this still seems odd. Am I right in thinking it was heat from shooting the groups too fast? Never had this before - wild "patterns", yes - but not this.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2
AllenJ

I think you are correct in your assumption, it is a barrel heat issue, but there is only one way to prove it.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
histed

'Swhat I was thinking. Shoot slower and see what happens
Old May 18, 2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Salmoneye

Are you single loading, or filling the mag and firing?

If the rounds are in the mag, they may be deforming, or even getting set back due to slamming in the magazine...

Just a thought...
Old May 18, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
histed

These I'm single loading
Old May 18, 2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Hammerhead

I gave up on 5 shot groups with lever guns and single shots. The 4th and 5th shots often drift out of the group for me.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Howard31

walking reloads

Hammerhead is correct. Shoot 3 round groups, it will tell you as much as 5 round groups with a lot less powder and bullets. You don't have a free floating barrel and you have barrel bands and wood touching.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Look for pressure on the barrel. It could come from the fore end, the mag tube or possibly the magazine cap screw. Relieving this pressure will bring in your fliers.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:55 AM   #9
hdbiker

walking groups

I find that 3 shot groups,groupe well with a warm barrel,but 5 shot groups will walk as barrel heats up,when shooting 5 shots I let the barrel cool between shots.hdbiker
Old May 19, 2013, 04:56 PM   #10
birdshot

Three touching is good shooting. I would guess your reloads are fine. If shooting a cold barrel doesn't solve the spreading, look at how you are resting/holding the rifle. I know when I have a nice group going I tend to try harder with the last two shots and sometimes end up squeezing the rifle in a way that ruins the group. Especially so with guns that have two piece stock.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:12 AM   #11
TXGunNut

Good point, birdshot. I get best results putting the front bag as far back under the fore end as possible. I pull the rifle back into my shoulder with my right hand and squeeze the rear bag to adjust elevation. Consistency is very important with leverguns. Before I fixed the pressure issues I would fire 2-3, wait 15 minutes, then fire 2-3 until I fired a total of five.
On a hot day in TX you may need to take the rifle into an air-conditioned building between strings.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
histed

Thanks one and all for the comments and advice. 3 shot groups sound good to my wallet and I'll look for pressure points. Knew I could count on answers here
Old May 26, 2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Peter M. Eick

Naaah..

50 shot groups are the only way statistically to know that you have a good load. Anything less and I feel you are fooling yourself. Anyone can luck into a good 3 shot group, but put 50 in a row on paper and you can see what you and your gun can do.

Here are just two, 50 shot targets shot with my 30/30 off the bench at 100 yrds.

For me that is a decent load that I carefully worked up. I would probably do a bit better if I was not using the factory sights.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #14
TXGunNut

I've been fooled by 3-shot groups but will use 3 or even fewer shots to confirm sight settings on a load of known accuracy. For my purposes serious load testing starts at 5 rounds and some folks won't settle for less than 10. When I find a load I think my rifle likes I'll confirm it with two targets of 5 rounds each.