The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 29, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Bubsy

Tourist arrested at WTC memorial

A local news station is reporting today that a tourist from Tennessee was arrested for trying to check her gun at the WTC memorial. If this isn't a convincing reason for reciprocity I don't know what is. Instead of running stories about mayors against guns, I'd like to see our National News Stations run this story on the evening news! Here's the link http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=8483408
Old December 29, 2011, 01:08 PM   #2
sigcurious

While I certainly feel bad for the lady, she is responsible for checking the local laws before going.
Old December 29, 2011, 01:42 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

The earnest act of ignorantly attempting to 'comply' with NY's egregious laws is just heartbreaking. Just one more ray of light shined on NY's stupidity.
Old December 29, 2011, 01:55 PM   #4
thallub

NY does not have reciprocity with any other state. It behooves folks with carry permits to know this stuff before they travel. i feel sorry for the lady but she should have checked NY law before she went there with a gun.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:00 PM   #5
shabodah

The rules need to be federal. In most cases, I'd support individual state rights, but, when one state's rights infringes on another state's citizen's rights, they shouldn't be allowed to do so.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
hpg

I feel for her and she should have checked local laws. On the other hand it's total b.s., she asked where to check it in at. They should have ask her to leave and come back without it. Anyone with intent of harm will not ask where to check in a gun.

Last edited by hpg; December 29, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:27 PM   #7
pax

Of course she should have checked.

But she's looking at 3 1/2 years and a felony conviction.

In what universe does this make sense?

pax
Old December 29, 2011, 02:35 PM   #8
MLeake

Hopefully, SAF or NRA will take this one on.
Old December 29, 2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Alaska444

Folks who carry should carefully check each states laws before travel. There are many excellent places to do just that. Sadly, it is easy to commit a felony in certain states just by doing what is completely lawful in others. There are more dangers lurking out there than bad guys when it comes to CCW. I feel sorry for those in states that have constitutional carry where folks CCW without any benefits of classes going over different states and their laws.

Hopefully this lady will simply get a fine and forget coming to NYC any time soon in the future. MA and NY are pretty much off my travel list any time soon and my mother lives in MA. I guess we will get the plane tickets for her travel to see me in Idaho, but I doubt I will be back in MA any time soon.
Old December 29, 2011, 03:25 PM   #10
thrgunsmith

In NYC it all depends on who you know and how much money you have and what "race" you are.

A wealthy black celebrity will do time ( it happened a few times in recent history but I do not follow ball sports or rap music so I cant remember names )

Yet wealthy white celebs like that David Crosby 60's tunesmith or Drew Barrymore's mom can get caught with guns and get a slap on the wrist.

Its a shame that this happened at all to the lady.

I hope she has a lot of money to get a lawyer, its time we get nat reciprocity
Old December 29, 2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Now, she's facing 3 1/2 years in prison.

The medical student was in town for a job interview.
She was that old and a medical student, I wouldn't hire anybody that stupid. If she can read and write and still doesn't know about the stupid laws of New York she is to dumb to be allowed to have a gun. No sympathy from me. New Yorkers are bone heads for putting up with it but the fact is they are ruled by a liberal elite and they are in office because New Yorkers voted them into office.

If you don't want to give up your rights as a citizen of the United States then stay to heck out of Neutered York.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 29, 2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Musketeer

NYC does not even honor NY State permits! Seriously, NYC is about as anti as you get. What moron carries a handgun into NYC thinking their permit is valid...

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 29, 2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Patriot86

Just because something is LAW does not make it JUST.
I really hope someone challenges these type of draconian gun laws in the courts soon.
Old December 29, 2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Musketeer

Old Grump said:
Quote:
New Yorkers are bone heads
Wow, and that from a state which didn't issue ANY permits until recently while NY had and has carry permits...

There are many fine individuals here in NY doing far more fighting for the 2A than boneheads who sit elsewhere pointing their fingers at us and enjoying the benefits of money we NY'rs donated to the NRA/ILA knowing it was going to fights they could win in other states LIKE WISCONSIN.

You could say "thanks" for the help we sent to WI or you could say "sorry" for disparaging comments made about an entire state's residents. You could even say nothing but taking cheap shots at us when you don't know the first damn thing about what we do to protect and practice our 2A rights is out of line.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 29, 2011, 05:14 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
The rules need to be federal. In most cases, I'd support individual state rights, but, when one state's rights infringes on another state's citizen's rights, they shouldn't be allowed to do so.
Wrong - no one is forcing you to go there or bring your gun there, therefore, there is no infringement
Old December 29, 2011, 05:34 PM   #16
langenc

NYC is just like Canada and Illinois--STAY OUT!!!!
Old December 29, 2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Nick S.

We're not all bone heads.

I live on Long Island, about 32 miles from the NYC border. I've been a NRA member since 1974 & vote for whoever they endorse. I look at NYC as a crazy town I am forced to drive through in order to get get off the Island. I'm afraid they're going to make an example of this poor woman. This right after they lost a cop to a criminal one of their judges released.
Old December 29, 2011, 05:52 PM   #18
Alaska444

For a medical student, this could be disaster for a career in medicine dependent on state licensing. Even a misdemeanor could end her career let alone a felony gun charge. Tragic.

I am hopeful that someone will choose to let her go with a fine. When I had graduated medical school and started my residency, I went to a Halloween part by the deputy chief of our department. I drank three or four beers all night over a 3-4 hour period of time. On the way home with three girls in halloween costumes, I was pulled over for going 50 in a 35 mph zone. The cop smelled alcohol on our breath and gave me a field sobriety test which I passed but just barely. I did the breathalizer and it came back .045%. Not a big deal for MA where I just left medical school that had a 0.1% limit, but in the state where I was at, the level was only .05%. I came within a couple of swigs of ruining my career not knowing the law.

Thankfully,the cop noted my military standing and he understood the devastating impact DUI has for an Army officer. He gave me a break and told me to go to the next 711 and get a cup of coffee before someone else pulled me over on the way home. That was one of the last times I ever drank socially. Just not worth the risk to what they can do.

The point I am trying to make is it is hard to know all of the laws going between differen states. Since there was no criminal intent, I would hope NYC will not ruin this woman's career. After all, how many serious mistakes have folks made that they were never caught that would have had serious impacts on the future? Compassion is the operative word. Fine and drop charges is of course the right way to proceed. A misdemeanor ruins her career just as quickly as a felony in most states.
Old December 29, 2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Onward Allusion

I just love it when the self-righteous ones post. <Sigh>

The lady was from Tennessee and probably thought her license (just like her driver's license) would be recognized everywhere.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - we NEED National CCW Reciprocity. I do not believe in the "State's Rights" argument in these situations. If that were the case, a person driving to another State would have to pull over and walk the rest of the way should their DL not be recognized. Stupid stupid stupid...
Old December 29, 2011, 06:07 PM   #20
MLeake

I also think we need national reciprocity, and would like to see the Heller and related decisions get some teeth.
Old December 29, 2011, 06:12 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska444
Hopefully this lady will simply get a fine and forget coming to NYC any time soon in the future.
Even a fine will leave her as a prohibited person for life. The Federal law is based on how much time "could" be sentenced, not how much time IS sentenced. Even if she gets a fine with no time behind bars, a fine would represent a conviction and she would lose her RKBA permanently. Everywhere in the U.S.
Old December 29, 2011, 06:15 PM   #22
Alaska444

Quote:
Today 03:12 PM
Aguila Blanca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska444
Quote:
Hopefully this lady will simply get a fine and forget coming to NYC any time soon in the future.
Even a fine will leave her as a prohibited person for life. The Federal law is based on how much time "could" be sentenced, not how much time IS sentenced. Even if she gets a fine with no time behind bars, a fine would represent a conviction and she would lose her RKBA permanently. Everywhere in the U.S.
Ouch!! Harsh reality for simply exercising her constitutional rights. Nope, no more travel back east without a very compelling reason to do so. This woman has much more to lose than just her right to carry. She is at risk of loss of her entire career which by no means is an easy accomplishment to attain.
Old December 29, 2011, 06:45 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

You know - I have no time to sort through folks calling each other names or denouncing entire states.

Closed.

Tags
new york city , reciprocity