The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Working up New Loads, How many do you build?

I have loaded plenty but it's been awhile. I had always loaded for revolvers in the past. I loaded 5 or 6 rounds of a starting load and then increased it slightly with the next 5 or 6 rounds etc. I carefully mark them as to their contents and take them to the range the next time out. I figure 5 is a nice round odd number and 6 is usually the cylinder capicity. I think it takes one or two shots to condition the barrel for a new load and then I have 3 or 4 to group on the paper target. I did not use a Chrony before, but I will be using one from now on.

How many rounds do you build for one sequence of test firing?
Old September 10, 2005, 01:50 AM   #2
BigSlick

For rifle, I usually work up about 10 rounds of each charge. When I find the one that shoots best on paper, I start working with different mfr bullets (same weight) and slight variances in seating depth, with that charge. When I find a combo I like, I then back off a little on the charge and try different primers and work up slowly again to fine tune the final load.

For pistol, same drill with a lesser number of bullet options, usually no more than four. I usually use Winchester Primers on all my pistol loads except 50 AE and 500 mag. CCI's seem to work a little better (for me) with slower powders at heavier charges.

If I find one mfr bullet shoots as good as another, I go with the cheaper of the two.

When I find a load I like, I will load enough rifle to cover a day out sighting in and about a box for the next hunt. For pistol, I'll load five or six boxes, unless I'm close to running out of a particular pound of powder. The I will use the rest of it. Next batch of powder (usually a different lot number) I will use the same components, load a few backing the charge off slightly to allow for lot to lot variance. If I don't find a problem, I'll go back to the sweet spot from the last lot and carry on.

FWIW,

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old September 10, 2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Russ5924

I like a few more for my revolvers I will load 24 that gives me 4 full loads to give the gun time to see if it likes them or not.Have seen times when you switch ammo takes the gun a few rounds to settle down with the new stuff and shoot right.
Old September 10, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
J.D.B.

Usually ten per test-lot here. For revolver , 12.
Josh
Old September 11, 2005, 12:31 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

Test loads

Dead-Nuts-Zero--BigSlick has it right on, and covered everything. 'Cept I make up 10 of each for my handguns, too, but that's just "individual differences" at work.

Good on you to get a chrono. They help a lot.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 12, 2005, 12:22 AM   #6
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Smokey Joe...I too like the ideas that BigSlick posted. I do it somewhat the same, but I have never tried playing with different primers. I guess I didn't think there was much difference amoung brands. I am not yet into the x-tra x-tra x-tra fine tuning of my loads for handgun. I think once I get my chrony, I will see that not all primers are created equal.

Another idea I picked up from his post is the powder lot numbers. I didn't expect there would be any notable difference, but now I think about it......Great Idea

Thanks BigSlick

Thanks for everyones comments.

If anyone else has anything to add to this ......... jump right in and tell us what yr thinkin!!!
Old September 12, 2005, 08:05 AM   #7
tjhands

Currently in the process of doing this. I just got a new gun this past weekend and have loaded 4 batches of 15 rounds, each batch going up 4/10ths of a grain. Once I find the most accurate of those, I will go plus and minus 2/10ths of the most accurate batch to fine tune things even more.
Old September 12, 2005, 10:58 PM   #8
Dave R

FWIW, Speer No. 13 says their statisticians tell them that a 7 shot group for each load will give you the most statistically valid data with the fewest number of shots.
Old September 12, 2005, 11:25 PM   #9
Jeeper

For most accuracy stuff I load about 5-10. For USPSA/IDPA loads I do about 50-100 since I want to test recoil and function and accuracy. I load with a lot less variables now than when I started.