The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 5, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Kimbertron

Off hand shooting

Hope this is in the right forum, wasn't sure if i should to post here in training or the live fire forum...

A recent injury has temporarily (I hope) disabled my right hand. Even though it is in a post operative cast, my trigger finger is still itching lol.

Has anyone here ever taught themselves to shoot with your off hand? I would have to shoot one handed so i was thinking of getting some light loaded .44 specials try it out with my Ruger Redhawk. Basically i just want to know some tips to make it easier or if i just have to figure it out by trial and error lol.

Thanks in advance!

-Pax
Old February 5, 2012, 04:10 PM   #2
POKEYJOE04

Good luck finding .44 Specials. I have a Charter Bulldog and find it rather difficult to locate ammo for it.
Old February 5, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3
weldonjr2001

I carry my backup pistol in my left front pants pocket, so practice regularly pulling it from the pocket and firing left(off)handed.

I never found a trick to doing it, it just feels better and more normal the more you practice.

I won't say I'm as good off-handed as right-handed, but adequate. I use the left eye left-handed, the right eye right-handed.

A parallel situation is that a right-handed bowler of my acquaintance permanently injured his right hand and switched to left-handed bowling. He eventually achieved a higher average and more 300 games left handed than he had had a righty. So fear not, you'll adapt if necessary.
Old February 5, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
kraigwy

Anyone who carries or uses a pistol/revolver for defense would be silly not to practice and become proficient with his/her off hand.

Actually I'm against two hand shooting except in the practice of shooting at hostage targets.

I can see few incidents when in a self defense situation one has both hands free. You have flashlights, mirrors, door knobs, etc, or pushing your love one out of harms way.

Adding to that concentration should geared toward shooting with ones off hand.

We all know we should seek cover if possible, but what side of the cover. If on the right side you should use your right hand, on the left side you should use your left hand, this minimizes your exposure while engaging the targets.

In theory, one should practice 50% with weak hand, 40% with strong hand and 10% with both hands.

Moreover, you should practice shooting setting, from a chair, recliner, couch etc, plus laying down, kneeling, on your side, back, Any position you find your self in.

Practince drawing and firing from your back side, as if someone knocked you on your butt at an ATM machine and such.

Again both weak and strong hand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 5, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
g.willikers

Here's a good video how to:
http://www.ehow.com/video_2359783_sh...-one-hand.html
Old February 5, 2012, 06:48 PM   #6
chadio

As usual, great advice kraigwy
Old February 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Buzzcook

shooting off hand should be something you do each visit to the range.

The big problem is eye dominance. You can learn how to shoot with your weak eye. I prefer that to leaning your head over to use your dominant eye.

Once you've made that decision, it's pretty much a matter of stance hand, grip, trigger control, and sight picture.
Feels kinda goofy at first, but you get used to it.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
L2R

take it from a lefty

I am SEVERELY left handed.

At 19, I entered a tool and die apprenticeship program. No idea how right handed the machinery is. All the precision handles are on the right.

I took a few months but believe me, if you are forced into it, you can and will become proficient.

Most never develop off hand because it is unnatural and uncomfortable at first.

You will become proficient if you commit to it.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:24 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot with my non dominat hand one handed every trip to the range with carry guns. Beside I am a lefty shooter, so I work on shooting while seated shooting over my left shoulder as if seated in a vehicle. As well as just plain one handed shooting. When doing that small groups are not the object. Torso hits are, as well as head shot hits.

I am a firm believer in master your hand gun being able to score hits with your non dominant hand, one handed. It may save your life one day.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:44 PM   #10
Kimbertron

Thank you all for the advise, looks like I will just have to try it out and see how it feels lol. I am only looking for something do do since i have to drop out of this semester of school, but I'm sure learning to shoot with my off hand will be useful.

Quote:
Good luck finding .44 Specials. I have a Charter Bulldog and find it rather difficult to locate ammo for it.
Thankfully I got about 3 boxes of .44 special today, not a ton of ammo by any stretch but should give me some time at the "range".

I did some left handed dry firing today and it felt really awkward. I'm going to be away for 5 days this coming week but I'm going to take my Redhawk and keep dry firing when i have down time.

Quote:
I took a few months but believe me, if you are forced into it, you can and will become proficient.
Looks like for about 2 months I will be forced to be left handed, Might help my shooting over all. Once I get to live firing I will have to post some targets and see how well it goes.

-Pax
Old February 6, 2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Hook686

My club has what is called a, "Modified FBI Qualification match'.:

Quote:
Open to Club Members and Guests

Weapons: any center-fire handgun with iron sights. No optical sights.

Course of Fire:

30 rounds, 300 points possible using the B-6(P) 50-yard slow fire target.
10 yard stage, 5 rounds in 10 seconds.
15 yard stage, 5 rounds right hand, 5 rounds left hand, 10 seconds per string.
25 yard stage, 5 rounds right hand, 5 rounds left hand, 20 seconds per string.
50 yard stage, from the bench, 5 rounds no time limit.

No sighters. The shooter must know where his weapon will shoot before opening fire.

No alibis. That means you are out of luck if your gun jams or misfires.
I strive to shoot this over a month time span (multiple trips to the range).

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.