The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Coach Z

Disappointed with new beretta neos

Finally got a chance to shoot my new beretta noes last night. On about the third mag the was a slightly louder pop and I saw a bit of a flash from the ejection port, looked more closely and there was a spring hanging out of the chamber! What the %$#@!

Extractor was gone. Not sure how it failed or if the flash I saw was an out of battery discharge. Need to contact beretta on Mon. but very bummed that a new gun failed straight out of the box shooting standard federal bulk .22

I'll update after I've gotten it repaired on how well beretta does or doesn't handle it.
Old January 14, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Scimmia

Did you recover the brass casing? Sounds like the case gave out.
Old January 14, 2012, 11:30 AM   #3
mdThanatos

They may or may not be open on Monday due to the holiday.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Ralgha

My new Neos was defective and would fail to feed nearly every round. I called Beretta and they said, "send it to us," so I did. They even paid for shipping and had UPS pick it up from my front door.

About two weeks later, a brand new-in-box Neos arrived on my doorstep for me at no charge. This one runs like top and I have an extra magazine now too (they specifically told me to only return one of the two provided magazines with the first gun)!

Anyway, my point is, their customer service was excellent, and a much faster turnaround than I expected.
Old January 14, 2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Coach Z

Quote:
Did you recover the brass casing? Sounds like the case gave out.
I did look at it briefly when I ejected it and it wasn't split or bulged so I just tossed it.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Coach Z

So i sent it off to Beretta on their dime and they said it would be 4-6 weeks, normally I'd be bummed but I was out of the country anyway so no range time for me.

Called right after I cleared customs the other day and after talking to two different people I was told that they had not looked at it yet and to give them a few more days and call back, hmmm ok.

Got home the next night and there was a box with my Beretta in it, they'd gotten in repaired and back to me in less then two weeks but for some reason they thought it was there untouched. I guess I'm pleased with the fast turn around but concerned about the confusion on their part. We'll see how she shoots now.
Old February 20, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
John D

I purchased the Neos when it first came out 'cause it looked like a ray gun! Fun to shoot, a little small for my hand, but never had a problem with it. I'm not a fanatic about cleaning and it has had many range sessions without any more than a wipe down.
Old February 20, 2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Ya mean the actually shoot bullets! By the looks of them I thought when you pulled the trigger, water squirted out of the muzzle.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 21, 2012, 02:48 AM   #9
PSP

Quote:
About two weeks later, a brand new-in-box Neos arrived on my doorstep for me at no charge.
I'm wondering how a new Beretta could be delivered to your home without going through a FFL? Had to be the same gun you sent in.

Sounds like a ammo problem caused the lost ejector.
Old February 21, 2012, 03:28 AM   #10
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I'm wondering how a new Beretta could be delivered to your home without going through a FFL? Had to be the same gun you sent in.
I have had a manufacturer ship directly to my home when replacing (same model new actual firearm and different serial number) and the delivery guy left it sitting on my deck by my front door when I wasn't home; good thing that I live in Alaska, probably not a smart practice in a lot of places! No FFL involved on my end.

Now, go figure...
Old February 21, 2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Rugerismisticness

Yeah I couldn't get around the looks or ergos either. They seem to work fairly well as they were designed, competition to the 22A.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:01 AM   #12
PSP

Quote:
I have had a manufacturer ship directly to my home when replacing (same model new actual firearm and different serial number) and the delivery guy left it sitting on my deck by my front door when I wasn't home; good thing that I live in Alaska, probably not a smart practice in a lot of places! No FFL involved on my end.
I'm not sure I'd put that info in print. It was illegal. Not sure on who's part, but a new serial number mandates a FFL participation.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:22 AM   #13
Coach Z

Quote:

Sounds like a ammo problem caused the lost ejector.
As I said in my post it was MY beretta.

Federal bulk killed a brand new gun? Don't think so, after the neos died I ran the rest of the box through my p22 without incident. It was a manufacturing defect plain and simple.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #14
mes228

Neos

My Neos is one of the ugliest pistols I've owned. However, it is one of the most reliable .22 pistols I've seen. I mostly shoot Federal Auto Target bulk ammo from Walmart and I'm up to approx. 2,000 rounds with out one jam of any kind. I can't say that about any other .22 I've owned. Pretty accurate too!! Mine did have a terrible trigger from the factory. Shipped it back to Beretta for repair (on their dime). Still not great, but not bad either for a plinking pistol.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
AZAK

Quote:
Not sure on who's part,
My ducks are all in a row. They sent me a shipping label. I used their shipping label. One day I came home to find a box sitting on my deck, delivered via "their" shipping company.

I guess that I could have just left the box sitting on my front deck for the last few years... since it may not have been a "legal transfer"...?

Now, go figure...
Old February 21, 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
PSP

Quote:
My ducks are all in a row. They sent me a shipping label. I used their shipping label. One day I came home to find a box sitting on my deck, delivered via "their" shipping company.

I guess that I could have just left the box sitting on my front deck for the last few years... since it may not have been a "legal transfer"...?
Shipping your original gun back to your home is perfectly legal. Shipping a different gun back with a different serial number, as both you, (AZAK) and Ralgha stated would be a federal violation. Not my rules. I'm just stating the fact.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:30 PM   #17
lesgeaux

I wonder if as a firearms maker they are allowed when replaceing under warrenty, to legally send a new replacement firearm as long as they destroy the defective one and record the changes?
Old February 21, 2012, 10:13 PM   #18
AZAK

PSP

I am not a lawyer, however:

"18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful --

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that --

(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;"

From my understanding, and personal experience, a manufacturer can legally ship a replacement firearm directly to the original owner.

And once again, I am not a lawyer; proceed at your own risk...

Now, go figure...
Old February 22, 2012, 04:33 AM   #19
AZAK

PSP

Straight from BATF:
"Neither the transfer of a repaired firearm nor the transfer of a replacement firearm would be subject to the requirements of the Brady law. Furthermore, the regulations provide that a Form 4473 is not required to cover these transactions. However, the licensee’s permanent acquisition and disposition records should reflect the return of the firearm or the transfer of a replacement firearm."
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brad...epair-transfer

Now, go figure...
Old February 22, 2012, 10:45 AM   #20
PSP

I'm glad you are confident in your situation. My experience has been that gun makers will not replace a pistol, with a new one having a new serial number, without the involvement of a local FFL.
Old February 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #21
Ralgha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I'm glad you are confident in your situation. My experience has been that gun makers will not replace a pistol, with a new one having a new serial number, without the involvement of a local FFL.
It's legal and happens all the time, but if you prefer to inconvenience yourself unnecessarily, more power to you.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:51 PM   #22
sb5366

Same issue today at the range

My Beretta Neos did exactly the same thing today. The spring hanging out is actually the "extractor spring" and when there is a case failure the gun is designed to expell the extractor, hence ours being gone and the spring hanging there.

Shipping mine back to Beretta Monday. NOT HAPPY.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:46 PM   #23
Coach Z

Good news is they're really quick on the repair service.

Was yours a case failure? The case on the round that was in the chamber when mine exited stage right was fully intact.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #24
B.N.Real

Dern,and I almost bought one of these.

At least Beretta is stepping up and clearing out the issues.

Hope my Bersa 22 on layaway is a good one.

Tags
beretta , neos , new gun , oob , warranty