The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 13, 2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Daekar

What is the revolver equivalent to my Sig P238?

So, in my ever-continuing scheming and planning future gun purchases, I have decided, pending new information, to pursue reloading for several different 357 mag firearms (TC Encore, Ruger SA revolver, Marlin levergun). I really like the idea of having control over the load power and projectile selection, I'm looking forward to learning.

That said, I'm looking for a way that I might be able to make use of this control and versatility in my everyday carry options. I'm very pleased with the P238, and I'm comfortable with the 380 FNFMJ as the minimum chambering/load I'm willing to carry. Are there any small revolvers chambered in 38spl or some 380acpish round that are as pocketable as the P238? Or is the flatness of the auto something that just can't be matched by a wheelgun? I hope that's not the case, but I'm not optimistic.
Old December 13, 2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

There is nothing really comparable. The "J" frame S&W comes closest, but it's still much bulkier.
Old December 13, 2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Buzzcook

Your not going to find a revolver as flat as a semi.

J frame S&W or similar Colt. They're relatively small. Try out a S&W model 60. A Colt Detective Special is a bit larger, but still small.
Old December 13, 2011, 04:40 AM   #4
BillCA

Acknowledge that you won't get a wheelgun to be as flat as a semiauto, unless you're carrying a Desert Eagle concealed. But you can get close, depending on which semi-autos you compare to the wheelgun.

While it's not quite as "pocketable" as your .380, the S&W 432PD is a small, lightweight J-Frame that can be carried in a jacket pocket or a slacks pocket (with a correct holster).¹

The .32 H&R Magnum is not a pop-gun round by any means, but it does fall short of being the true Magnum people hoped for.² Ballistics are similar to a .380 ACP using an 85gr Federal HydraShok bullet. Recoil is mild and with six shots, the .32 H&R makes a dandy little pocket gun, back-up gun or travel companion.

The more powerful .327 Federal Magnum has the true magnum performance the .32 H&R should have sought. Ruger and Federal optimized the .327 Magnum for a 3-inch barrel (developed using a 3" Ruger SP-101), so most carry guns will have a 3-inch barrel. Out of a 3-inch barrel, the .327 Magnum 100 grain bullet down range at 1400 fps and the 115gr Gold Dot at 1330 fps. That produces ~495-500 ft-lbs of gee-whiz at the muzzle, making it "better" (on paper) than the .38+P or 9mm. Bad news is that a 3-inch barrel requires some pretty large pockets to hide the gun.

A revolver chambered for the .327 Magnum can also shoot the .32 H&R, .32 S&W Long and .32 S&W revolver cartridges.

Despite the .32 H&R only being "about as powerful" as a .38 RNL load, I still like it as a carry gun or back-up gun. Mine often rides in an outside winter coat pocket while a 1911 or .357 rides inside the jacket. The Airlight 432PD tips the scales at just 16oz making it very easy to carry.

¹ The 431PD has an exposed hammer. The 432PD is the hammerless "Centennial" model.
² The .32 H&R is a significant improvement over the .32 Long, adding almost 300 fps. But H&R limited the design to fit into their break-top actions that are not as strong as solid-frame designs.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Viper225

Give a 340 M&P a look.

Chambered in 357 Magnum for the most versatility in loads
Light Weight
Concealable
24/7 XS Tritium front sight
Big Trough rear sight

This is as good as J Frame gets at this time, and I do not see much that can be improved on.

Bob
Old December 13, 2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Shotgun693

Don't worry about people 'making' your gun if that's your concern. I'm a big guy but consider that I often carry a Glock 22 or a Colt's SAA while off duty. People are nearly oblivious to their surroundings much less what you have under your shirt. (Of course if you wear a halter top and shorts you might have a problem).
Old December 14, 2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Shadi Khalil

The 340PD is good choice. There is also the 637/642/442/638. They cost around half of the 340 but are still great little guns. Here's mine with a pair of crimson trace defenders

While its quite small and lite, the cylinder does add a little bulk. I'm a pretty thin guy and usually wear my clothes to fit but I still can pocket carry it with any problems.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; December 14, 2011 at 07:29 AM.