The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 21, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
pod

NFA push pin questions

hi, looking to get some NFA guns soon, and have some questions:

-push pin variants, any reason to have one over a non-push pin?

-I find that push pin's don't have sears, why not, just rare?

-does the brand of sear matter?

-I find that some NFA's come with registered sear, and some don't. you can just take the sear out of the gun and put it in the non-sear gun , and just re-stamp the gun correct? I understand the price this would get to to take 2 guns then basically build the "gun you want"

-if a gun has a sear, you can replace the sear if need be correct? as I don't understand this if the serial is on the sear, so if the sear gets replaced how do they see it's registered?

- any websites you could throw out that have top notch NFA guns would be great. I could a few but not sure if there ones I should be looking at

thanks again for any help

edit: i'm looking at these sites for NFA's as they see to have top notch guns, at top notch prices!!!

http://www.autoweapons.com/products/products.html
http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/nfa1.html
Old October 21, 2008, 09:47 PM   #2
VUPDblue

The only reason to look at autoweapons.com is for a laugh. If you are serious about getting into a MG, look at sturmgewehr.com and subguns.com in the NFA Classifieds section. I assume by the wording of your post that you are looking at one of the Heckler and Koch series of SMG's? Now I'll try to answer some of your questions:

Quote:
-push pin variants, any reason to have one over a non-push pin? Don't know, I'm not an HK guy

-I find that push pin's don't have sears, why not, just rare? Again, not an HK guy

-does the brand of sear matter? As with anything, some mfgr's are more reputable than others, ask an HK guy

-I find that some NFA's come with registered sear, and some don't. you can just take the sear out of the gun and put it in the non-sear gun , and just re-stamp the gun correct? I understand the price this would get to to take 2 guns then basically build the "gun you want" It all depends on how the gun was registered. Sometimes the trigger pack was the registered part, sometimes the sear, sometimes another part. If you buy a registered sear, you can swap it in and out of any host weapon. The sear is the machinegun.

-if a gun has a sear, you can replace the sear if need be correct? as I don't understand this if the serial is on the sear, so if the sear gets replaced how do they see it's registered? If you have a registered sear and it gets destroyed, you're SOL. Like with my M16, the lower is the registered part, so if the autosear gets damaged I can just throw in a new one. If the registered part is destroyed, you're SOL
- any websites you could throw out that have top notch NFA guns would be great. I could a few but not sure if there ones I should be looking at
see above
Old October 22, 2008, 02:33 AM   #3
David Hineline

Terminology

You could be very new and inexperienced, or some type of goof ball. I will give benifit of the doubt. You need to learn some terminology.

NFA covers many things that have nothing to do with push pins. All kinds of guns have sears, some registered some not.

An HK push pin receiver is a machinegun. An HK push pin gun can have it's sear replaced willy nilly as it's just a spare part.

A conversion sear is one registered as a machinegun conversion device under the NFA with the ATF. This type will be used on a shelf type HK clip on semi automatic receiver. It will not fit on a pushpin type of HK receiver. So a registered sear gun may have it's sear moved to another semi auto host guns as long as the gun the sear left is in otherwise legal configuration. If you had a SP89 HK pistol with a registered sear you can put a buttstock on it. If you move the registered sear to another gun and left the buttstock on the pistol version you have broken the law, unless you also register the pistol unders the NFA as a short barreled rifle.

I suggest you google search the following and read it. james bardwell NFA FAQs

If interested in HK type NFA firearms, then a website called HK Pro will have a lot of information.