The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 10, 2014, 11:09 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

New C&R Rifles

Can someone tell me if I paid a good price for the following C&R rifles I picked up today.

CHINESE TYPE 53 CARBINE 7.62x54
Picked it up for $109.00

STEYR MODEL 1895 CARBINE 8X56R CAL.
HUNGARIAN M95
Picked it up for $115.95

I am going to place an online order for the first time for some other C&R rifles. Since they will ship them to my house will someone have to be home to sign for them.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old May 10, 2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

If the prices you quoted are out the door, with no shipping charge that sounds about right.
A quick look at the SOG website shows $99 for a Type 53, and $109.99 for the Steyr plus shipping.
Yes, adult signature required. If nobody is there to sign UPS will leave a note, and make up to two more attempts to deliver. After that you will have to go to their location to pick it up.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 11, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

Those are fair prices, you didn't get ripped off as to cost.

For online deals, if 'special select' is offered, take it, as a general rule. One way to buy is over the phone, get some voice time, and some human consideration as a result. When the sales rep says 'we'll get you a good one', it can make a difference.

Sometimes the delivery has to be signed for, sometimes it just gets left at the door, for me anyway.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

From UPS website shipping guide.
Quote:
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
Same from FedEx.
Quote:
3. Firearms must be shipped via the FedEx Delivery Signature Options Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required options and are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.
So getting an adult signature is what they are suposed to do. Individual driver incompetence, and lazyness, or labeling mistakes aside.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 12, 2014, 09:06 AM   #5
chiefr

Those are average prices. I have seen cases of the 53 at gun shows and you can pick what you want for $99. Never seen 95s by the case, but if your rifle has a decent bore, you done good. 95 with good bores are seldom seen around here.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:14 PM   #6
DennisCA

You did good, not a steal but decent prices.

However your shoulder is going to hate you......after you fire the the M95!
Old May 15, 2014, 07:31 AM   #7
BoogieMan

I paid $200 OTD for my Budapest made Steyr, and the condition is fair at best. IMO you got a very good deal. I bought off of Gunbroker.
If your new to the gun and plan to shoot it, be prepared for a solid recoil. Most of my friends will not finish a 5 rnd clip before handing it off.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 15, 2014, 06:31 PM   #8
tahunua001

you did pretty good. I paid 150 for my M95 last fall, $100-150 is about the usual price depending on how strong supply is. my LGS has had a type 53 with no matching parts for the last year for $160 so I would say you are doing alright. big trouble is going to be keeping them fed.