The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Silver00LT

Bad day at the range with my reloads...

No did not blow my firearm up. Lemme clarify that. I went and shot all 256 completed reloads through my Glock 26. Weapon is clean prior to use at range. I clean her after range visits.

I was shooting vids for my YT channel, and well I did a 8 magazine finale and first 4 mags went flawless and then the weapon started malfunctioning the last 4.

Problems:
3 cases were caught by the slide(2.5% malfunction)
5 rounds failed to chamber correctly(4.16% malfunction)
So that means out of 120 I had 8 rounds that caused a malfunction. That's 8 malfunctions in 8 magazines. So that's a average of a malfunction per magazine.

My rounds that failed to chamber were correct diameter as I checked everything before I even place the completed cartridge in my range box. Funny because the total percentage of malfunctions comes to 6.66% AHH! lol

I'm thinking that my wrist was just getting sloppy as it was a rapid fire to give the weapon hell and see if she could fire. Normal fire she is golden through as many magazines as I can carry.

Load: W231 4.6gr with Rainier Ballstics 115gr bullets. Federal #100 SP Primers.

Video: (I'm unbiased I just snip my video of me turning the camera on and off) so disregard anything not Hollywood. Speaking to an audience is not my strong points, but I created the YT channel for a firearms support
Glock 26 Malfunctions

Cases were a little dirtier compared to factory ammo, but they clean just fine. Since I have my Hornady Auto Charge now I am going to mess around with some loads and find a good group.

Last edited by Silver00LT; May 16, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
g.willikers

Aha!
From the picture, the cause of the problem is obvious.
No doubt, it's those funny looking extra long cases.
No wonder they wouldn't chamber in your pistol.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Silver00LT

LOL I got lucky picking through the grass. Someone missed those.

The video is uploaded on my YT channel. Link provided in first post.

Last edited by Silver00LT; May 16, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4
Tuzo

Glock bulge?

I understand that Glock does not recommend reloads through their handguns. You may have a few cases with a bulge near the base due to a partially supported chamber. This may be causing failure to fully chamber. Any Glock-fired 9mm cases I pick up at the range go through Lee's "Bulge Buster" to smooth out the bulge resulting in proper chambering in my S&Ws.

My one and only Glock is the 30 that was given to me. No problems with the small amount of reload rounds put through it.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Silver00LT

I heard the same thing, but also saw people shooting tens of thousands of reloads through the 26 with zero problems. I never had problems til well...the rapid fire. And those same cases fired no problem when ran back through.

Going to look into that piece of equipment you listed to add to my tools. Well states won't work for a 9MM due to being tapered, but they referred to this as an alternate: Link
Old May 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
TimSr

Quote:
I understand that Glock does not recommend reloads through their handguns.
I think you'll find that nearly all gun mfgs carry that recommendation. Freedom Arms was the only gun I ever bought with mfg reloading data.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Silver00LT

Quote:
I understand that Glock does not recommend reloads through their handguns. You may have a few cases with a bulge near the base due to a partially supported chamber. This may be causing failure to fully chamber. Any Glock-fired 9mm cases I pick up at the range go through Lee's "Bulge Buster" to smooth out the bulge resulting in proper chambering in my S&Ws.

My one and only Glock is the 30 that was given to me. No problems with the small amount of reload rounds put through it.
Just did a search and found the discussions on it. People have zero problems with reloads in their weapons. They just notice case wear quicker due to the GLOCK barrel specs. People even shoot straight lead through their barrels and not a lick of trouble. When I just cleaned my weapon(had to drop everything and get myself to the hospital yesterday after range due to a allergic reaction) I had a thousandth of a inch of carbon just in the feed port.

Quote:
I think you'll find that nearly all gun mfgs carry that recommendation. Freedom Arms was the only gun I ever bought with mfg reloading data.
You sir are correct....this is most likely just solely insurance reasons. I have yet to see a properly loaded round damage a weapon. The ones I've seen are overcharge, undercharge(costs $ to remove round from barrel), brass split, magazines explode etc.

Well I separated some brass ready for reloading. Going to do 5 different charges 10 rounds each and see which one groups the best. Then I'll retry the 120 Rapid fire with that load. 120 of that load normal fire. Then 120 with factory ammo(if I can find it still its going for $20/50rnds right now).
Old May 16, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
judgecrater

As the failures all came in the last few mags, maybe it did have to do with grip. Normally I don't go along with the limp wrist theories but maybe your grip did loosen a little. Also, your load does seem to be at the very low end of Hodgdon's loading data for 9mm. Try kicking up the load a few tenths and you may have better reliability. My Glocks generally function better with mid to higher loads.

I do not think your failures have to do with Glock bulge. That is generally found with 40S&W. I have fired thousands of my reloads and also examined thousands of pieces of random 9mm range brass and have not seen any bulging with 9mm.
Hope this helps.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:03 AM   #9
chris in va

Might want to get a Lee FCD.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:28 AM   #10
Tuzo

Should have mentioned in my reply that Lee's Bugle Buster is used with the appropriate caliber Lee Factory Crimp die. range pickup brass in 9 mm and 40 S&W get the Bulge Buster treatment on my reloading bench.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:13 AM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

A lot of the 9mm cases look like there is a lot of carbon on the outside of the case. That's typical of a load that's too light and doesn't fully expand the brass case to seal the chamber.

That said, your load doesn't really look like it's too light based on the loading data I can find.
Old May 17, 2013, 03:23 AM   #12
Silver00LT

Quote:
As the failures all came in the last few mags, maybe it did have to do with grip. Normally I don't go along with the limp wrist theories but maybe your grip did loosen a little. Also, your load does seem to be at the very low end of Hodgdon's loading data for 9mm. Try kicking up the load a few tenths and you may have better reliability. My Glocks generally function better with mid to higher loads.

I do not think your failures have to do with Glock bulge. That is generally found with 40S&W. I have fired thousands of my reloads and also examined thousands of pieces of random 9mm range brass and have not seen any bulging with 9mm.
Hope this helps.
In the video I started getting the allergic reaction...when I was scratching my arms and legs it was not just from mosquitoes, but the reaction as well. Plus I was up already 20 hours. Did the test at the end of the shoot so my wrist already had over 150 rounds fired within minutes.

The reloading data for W231 is 4.3 to 4.8 with 115gr projectiles. I was between 4.5-4.6 but more on the 4.5 throw side with a Lee Perfect Powder throw. I'm going to do a group of 4.7 and give that a try.

Quote:
Might want to get a Lee FCD.
I have one. I may need to adjust it a little tighter as well.

Quote:
A lot of the 9mm cases look like there is a lot of carbon on the outside of the case. That's typical of a load that's too light and doesn't fully expand the brass case to seal the chamber.

That said, your load doesn't really look like it's too light based on the loading data I can find.
I am going to bump it up to 4.7...adjust the FCD a little tighter and retry this test from a fresh weapon instead of one that already been fired 150 times prior.

Thanks for the input and support everyone...I hate having bad range days more than lack of brass to pick up.