The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 5, 1999, 04:36 PM   #26
Ivan8883

I have several liner lockersnd autos that are good defensive knives. My two favorites are the Cold Steel Gunsite and Cold Steel Scimitar. The Gunsite has a big 5 inch blADE which is very sharp and has a pocket clip which fits good even in back pocket for such a big knife. It is good for slash and run since it has a long reach like a small sword. The Scimitar has a curved 4 inch very sharp blade and pocekt clip that fits nice in front pocket. I live in the country and for city use my Benchmade 910 stryker would be nice. It is smaller than big Gunsite and would be less obvious in the city.
Old July 5, 1999, 05:34 PM   #27
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ivan-
That Tanto point at the end of the Gunsite folder completely underwhelms me. If my understanding is correct that the Tanto design is made to enhance piercing capability, the use of such on a folder (especially a Cold Steel folder) seems to me an accident waiting to happen.

Stabbing strikes should be avoided with all folders at all costs, IMHO.
Rich
Old July 5, 1999, 10:41 PM   #28
Kodiac

Rich, your right about the stabbing...
Knife fighting in general is to be avoided at all costs!
Real fighting knives and Combat knives are ment for utility on the battlefield... Not as a weapon.
But...
If it comes to it... A knife sure as heck is better than nothing. Of course on the battle field - should my weapons run dry - and the fighting went hand to hand... The E-Tool would be better than that double edged EK Dagger I had during my green machine years... Each has its own advantages to be sure. Anyways...

The Mini AFCK, and the REKAT UTILITY have arrived - both are neat little knives. The Mini AFCK rides now... smaller - less frightening to the sheople who are in fear of getting skinned. The REKAT hangs via a neck chain. One Hell of a necklace for a Guy! Black T finish keeps it in shape while wearing it under your shirt. REKAT has discontinued them - so get one while you can before they are all gone!

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Old July 6, 1999, 11:12 AM   #29
Anthony

Hi Morgan,

I carry a Spyderco Military (serrated) on a daily basis around work and a Bud Nealy Pesh Kabz with the longer five inch fixed blade when wardrobe permits.

Also keep an old Spyderco Police (serrated) in a fanny pack with my .45 in my car.

- Anthony
Old July 6, 1999, 10:37 PM   #30
RR

Don't buy an Emerson. His production models are not worth the money. His CQC7 is alot of handle and little blade. Priced 2X what they are worth. And machining on product is very poor. It's too bad Ernie is capitalizing on his name with inferior product. Now, his other production models, who knows? The others have received mixed ratings because of production defects-loose lockup especially. Buyer beware. However, the CQC series is a joke. EDI or MT Socom is well worth the $$. Or maybe a Emerson Commander (if you can see and handle it ahead of time).
Old July 7, 1999, 12:17 PM   #31
fubsy

Im a spydero fan for folders.....I carry a delica at work every day, and feel lost with out it...lol......I prefer the endura and have a couple but were I work I had to carry the smaller bladed knife---and like someone else said the whole in the blade is very quick and sure.......
I went on a trip to fla and left my knife home(horror of horrors there), and stopped in a little hardware store and checked out what they had and picked up a swiss victorinox I dont remeber what model but it has a locking blade of 4" length and has on the handle a straight back and a wavy bottom line,,,,it comes with all the normal bells and whistles and is not easy to open, you must use both hands, but its a fine folder...fubsy.
Old July 7, 1999, 02:26 PM   #32
OBIWAN

B.M. Mini-Stryker

Here in Michigan 3" is as long as the law allows. No problems in airports either. I just stick it in my planner for the trip through the X-ray
Old July 10, 1999, 12:41 PM   #33
many

does anybody who write in this forum used a kinife to defend his/her bacon?
can you gibve a short narration of haw it was?
I will prefera handgun instead kinfe.
many the mexican kid.
Old July 11, 1999, 09:16 PM   #34
Prichard

n

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old July 13, 1999, 12:34 AM   #35
Phillip

IMHO Emerson Commander (BT blade #876) has replaced every other folding carry knife I own (even the MT's). I have read some minor complaints of problems with some of the Emerson knives, but have never seen a problem. I own 2 and my girlfriend owns 2.
Old July 13, 1999, 09:30 AM   #36
fubsy

Many,
Ive personally never had to use a knife in defense or offense and I dont want to.....
When a bit younger and rowdier I hung in some pretty rough dives, a friend who was a rather large fella was a bartender in a particular biker bar in ElPaso, I was trying to hustle a little pool and an altercation broke out at the barend nearest the door, I looked up and started moving over that way as my friend was trying to get someone out of the place, my friend hoppy, was removing a man Ill call crazy c, hoppy was about 6'3 and 300+ lbs, crazy c, was 5'8 165lbs or so....well the hands started flying and crazy c was getting the worst of it as you would expect even though he was still getting his shots in, crazy c is finally out the door and Hoppy turns around and his front is rapidly covering with blood, it seems that in the rush of the situation crazy c had been stabbing hoppy with a 5" airforce survival knive, Hoppy didnt even feel the sticks....I dont remember how many stab wounds hoppy had, but he almost lost his life that night. If he had not had been as fat as he was the blade length might have reached a vital organ and he would have died.....crazy c went to jail for a few years, and I ran into him once after he was released--he's still crazy....hoppy died a few years later from a heart attack, Hoppy made the finest chili I ever stuck a fork in, he was a participant in many of the terlinquia chili cook offs and often a local judge/participant in chili cook offs.....he forgot to watch the hands......fubsy.
Old August 1, 1999, 09:40 PM   #37
shiv

EMERSON COMMANDER. It is as fast to draw as a fixed blade via the wave. it has replaced everything i own and i am dieing to get another.
Old September 6, 1999, 07:57 PM   #38
Andygold

To MANY: Not me, but a friend of mine was down in Fla. and decided not to bring his off duty gun as he was flying. Well, he and a girlfriend got jumped. He was yoked from behind, and grabbed a Spyderco ( i believe it was a Co-pilot...tiny tiny knife) from his pocket top. He drove it into the perp's right leg just above the knee. Only problem was as he tried to rip upwards, it was stuck in the bone. So he yanked it out and stuck him again, and ripped. He tells me that as he was nearing the guys groin area he heard the most pleasing sucking noise coming from the skels mouth. This was just before the perp passed out. It turns out some off duty deputies saw the end of this, and grabbed perp number 2 as he was fleeing the scene. The local LE held his knife for about two weeks, before mailing it back up to him in NY. Hey, given my druthers, I'd rather have a bigger non folder, but then again, I'd rather have a tiny knife instead of NO knife at all.
Old September 7, 1999, 09:01 PM   #39
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Well - it was a small knife yes - but it was a Spyderco...
Many knives out there - but Spydercos are the BEST PERIOD. They can get boring though... Just like HK guns can get. I classify 2 knife classes...
1. SC blades (Spyder - Co.)
2. OTSC (Other Than Spyderco)

But then I like to reduce problems to there simplest form.

BM CS Gigand all make good OTSC stuff... But given the choices... Spyderco...

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 7, 1999, 11:27 PM   #40
JMB

I agree with George Hill, it's Spyderco all the way for me these days. I started carrying a Delica when I was in high school, and have since tried Emersons and Benchmades, but have come back to the Spyderco Delica. The handle may not be as comfortable as the Emerson, but I've found the Delica to be the best cutter I've ever handled.

I use it at the hospital I work at to open packages, at my other job to cut down cardboard boxes, and around the house to open mail and perform any other chores that have come along. It does so with very little effort on my part.

I've taken it on several airline flights without as much as a strange look from the security guard I hand it to. That's another great thing about the Delica. It's not intimidating to the doctors I work with, the airlines, and any one else I hang around with. It's light and flat and easy to carry. It is also plenty of knife to extract myself from a close quarters assault. I think that too many people expect their folder to perform feats that are best served by a full sized fixed blade, or for that matter a firearm.

I no longer feel the need to walk around with a 4" black coated bladed "tactical" looking knife. My Delica has proven to me that good things can indeed come in small packages.
Old September 8, 1999, 04:31 PM   #41
pete80

Spyderco Delica
$39.99
Carry it every single day, work, school, play. It's lighter than a feather, sharper than a pencil!
Old September 9, 1999, 12:55 AM   #42
Andygold

My everday carry is a Spyderco Police model with aluminum scales. I also have the same knife in steel, and also a steel Worker model. I too have gone through airport security with this model without raising any eyebrows. I cannot agree with some of the other posters that Spyderco makes the BEST knives. I have worked a magnetometer post on and off over the last 11 years and have seen thousands of knives come through. I have a little familiarity with some of the custom knifemakers, and have seen some impressive pieces. As to a commercial brand though, I once had a Cold Steel folder (don't remember which model)with a hammered and folded non-serrated blade (San Mai III Steel, Kraton scales or something like that)that I can truly say was the sharpest knife I have ever handled. When you have to expend a great amount of attention opening and closing a knife to prevent deep razor type cuts, you know it is sharp. My Police Models although sharp, are closed without any thought given to it. They don't come close to the amount of damage that Cold Steel could cause. Also, the Cold Steel out of the box could be used to shave with. Back then I was walking around with bald spots on my arms from showing off this knife to Co-workers
Old September 9, 1999, 07:20 AM   #43
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

If you like the Delica - Look at a steel Endura, the Delica's big brother. I think it may be the BEST of the Spyderco line.

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old September 30, 1999, 07:52 PM   #44
Covert Mission

The Spyderco Wegner is nice... can do double duty as a field hunting knife, for which it was designed, but i think it would do fine as a fighter too, although the AFCK might be better (but less versatile).

I like the older version of the Sebenza too, by Chris Reeve, but he changed the shape of the scales and I don't like now. Check out some of Pat Crawford's designs too, if you have the $cratch. Microtechs are nice for production custom.... superb fit and finish.

I too, have been somewhat disappointed in looking at Emerson's production knives. Too much side-to-side play in the blade, for one thing.

I have a super custom damascus tanto sheath knife....really thick backbone, almost to the tip. Quite a stabber... the samurai used their tantos to penetrate bamboo body armor. it's too nice to carry though. Cotta check out the ceramic knives...

Anyone have some more good knife site URL's to post Here? So many knives, so little $$. I see so many in the knife mags that i can only dream about.
Old October 1, 1999, 12:22 AM   #45
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The Wegner has just been discontinued...
So what will happen is when they are all sold out they are GONE. There is a similar model called the ProGrip. It costs less and is a very good knife. Toggle lock instead of Liner like the Wegner.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old October 2, 1999, 09:54 AM   #46
Axel Yup

My daily carry knife outside the home is a Crawford Kasper Fighting Folder (KFF). It has a deep finger cutout which allows for a secure grip for thrusts even in the natural grip. The blade is wide with plenty of razor sharp belly for slashes. I did have Pat Crawford add 1/2" of extra unground edge near the pivot just in case the knife folds up accidently. This mod would spare a cut to my index finger.

I carry the knife without a clip in an Inside Pocket Knife Holster http://www.magills.com for total concealment. Once on the website click on "Our Complete List of Items" and then "Concealment Holsters." Scroll to the bottom of "Titles" and at the bottom of the list you will find the knife holster. Click on it for a picture and description.

I also feel that if you carry a folder which is not suitable for stabbing that you are greatly limiting the defensive ability of the knife. IMHO, thrusts are going to be your most effective fight stoppers.

At home I carry a Polkowski Scorpion. 4.5" of double ground blade in a nifty IWB Kydex sheath.

Check out Bob Kasper's site for info on both of these knives as well as others which he has designed.

http://www.ghca.org/KFK.html

I also have a Gaunt on order from Al Polkowski.

Axel

[This message has been edited by Axel Yup (edited October 02, 1999).]

Old October 2, 1999, 11:20 AM   #47
SB

Wegners are discontinued?! Are you sure about that? For a time, there was a cult following for those things over in bladeforums. I thought they were wonderful folders. What a shame.

Also, according to Spyderco's website, the Progrip is a lockback. Is there a toggle lock version coming out? Anybody got a picture of a toggle lock?

Just curious.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited October 02, 1999).]
Old October 6, 1999, 12:52 AM   #48
H&K Fan

[This message has been edited by H&K Fan (edited May 25, 2000).]