The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 7, 2009, 11:36 AM   #1
zxcvbob

? new Minnesota law about guns in parking lot

I *think* there's a fairly recent law or state court ruling that prevents employers from prohibiting guns secured in private vehicles in the parking lot. My employer does prohibit this, and I'm trying to find out the details before it becomes an issue. I'm not having much luck finding any information.
Old February 9, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2
crashm1

TCC?

Have you tried asking on twincitiescarry.com? There are a fair number of MN carry permit instructors there that know MN laws.
Old February 19, 2009, 12:21 AM   #3
zxcvbob

I found it. It's part of the 2003 "Citizens’ Personal Protection Act"

Subd. 18. Employers; public colleges and universities. (a) An employer, whether public or
private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees
while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may
be invoked for a violation.
(b) A public postsecondary institution regulated under chapter 136F or 137 may establish
policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its students while on the institution's
property. Academic sanctions may be invoked for a violation.
(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may
not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.