The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
BigSlick

Going to chrono a bunch of 500 S&W loads this weekend...

Hi guys,

I am finally getting a chance to spend a couple of days doing a little load work up.

I have predominantly narrowed my own use loads to the 350 gr Berry's plated, the 350 XTP and the Sierra 400 JSP. I am going to pick up a box of the CPB WFNGC 440's Wednesday night.

I will be using TiteGroup and H4227, and I *might* pick up a one pounder of something else... OK I will any suggestions ?

Any suggestions of where to start ? I have worked the XTP pretty thoroughly with TG, but not too much with H4227. I figure since I am going to work up two powders, another shouldn't be that much more work.

I will run 15 round strings of each bullet starting with 16gr in TG, 38gr of H4227 (34gr in the 440) and go up to max published loads from there. I will use a CED Millennium chrono and the 8-3/8" stock S&W 500 barrel.

What other powders have worked well for you ? Of course, powders with the widest caliber range of use is preferred.

Thanks for the feedback

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old June 7, 2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Sturm

BigSlick, your a bigger man than me! I like magnums, but I don't think I'll ever see the .500 S&W in my future. I wish you the best with yours. I don't think we have many loaders shooting the .500 S&W. I was thinking about a couple of powders, but there is no data for them. I was looking in the area about halfway between TiteGroup and H-4227 at stuff like VV 3N37, N-350, AA#7 and Ramshot True Blue because I noticed you mentioned you might want the powder to have application for other uses and these powders work well for a number of calibers.

Best I can do, is to tell you that Accurate has data for the .500 with #9 and 4100. 4100 is pretty much similar to H-110 and W-296 as Far as application in .30 Carbine, .410 Shotgun and Magnum revolver loads. #9 is a little different. It is actually a tweener that is used for magnum revolvers. By tweener I mean it is in between say Blue Dot and the magnums like H-110. While I wouldn't call it versatile for a number of calibers unless you shoot the 7.62 X 25 Tokarev, it does have application in all of the smaller magnums and Blast/Flash is not as bad and in some can be pretty low. I have used it for kicks with 165 gr. bullets in .40 and it can be used for 10mm, but obviously we are not talking about Universal/Unique. www.accuratepowder.com has load data for all the bullet weights with 4100 and jacketed bullets with #9. In absence of data for 4100 in the past, Accurate recommended increasing the listed charges for #9 by 3% to get 4100 charges. If that can be done in reverse so that you can get data for the cast bullets, you might be on to something. All of the start charges are still fairly robust, but an E-Mail or call to Accurate would confirm if you could use #9 for the .500 by making a 3% reduction to the start charges for 4100. 4100 could be great, but I haven't used it or know anyone that has. Their ballisticians believe it is a better magnum powder than #9 and #9 is a pretty good powder. Especially for the .41 Magnum. Ramshot Enforcer is very similar to #9, but no data.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I did think the thread deserved a response of some type! Good Luck!
Old June 8, 2005, 12:24 PM   #3
TATER

I played with this concept of yours with my .480....
I employed the 12 round batch method...I ended up pulling
A lot of lead!! .....very unpleasant before reaching max.
Sorry, I can't give any feedback on other powders
I'm sold on TiteGroup.
Old June 8, 2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Doug242ti

+1 Titegroup. I dont know what it Chrono's at but it shoots nice enough:

(99% sure Im using Titegroup, I have to check when I get home. Damn I load to many calibers!)
Old June 8, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5
palpatine1st

I like to use lil gun powder when I load for my .500. admittedly im new to loading and i have only tried a few powders, but lil gun seems to turn in the highest velocities with some of the lowest pressures. good luck to a fellow recoil addict. btw has ne one tried any bullets over 500 grs in the 500 yet. I would like to find a goog source for something llike that.
Old June 9, 2005, 01:44 AM   #6
Sturm

Tater, when you say, "this concept of yours", to whom are you referring? Not sure I have any concepts on the .500 S&W or the .480 Ruger, except that it might be for someone looking for a lot of power from a revolver and that comes with a price called recoil!

I don't recall giving previous concepts on the .500 S&W, or the .480 RUGER, using #9, or 4100. I have recommended AA#7, True Blue and VV3N37 for lower recoiling loads with less muzzle blast in the .480 Ruger and the .454 Casull! Data for #7, is not available from Accurate, for the .500 S&W.

Sorry, Palpatine. My omission of Lil' Gun is no reflection of my oppinion of the powder. It is a great one for magnums!

Palpatine and Tater, Welcome to the Forum!
Old June 9, 2005, 09:28 AM   #7
TATER

Sturm,
No no, I was trying to make a joke...BigStick mentioned he was
Going to load in 15 round strings. I did much the same thing and
it didn't take long to get to my recoil threshold . I ended up
pulling a lot of bullets apart because they were too..."Robust"
I apologize if I came off wrong, I was just trying to hint that
It might behoove BigStick to step up in smaller strings.

Thanks for the welcome,
Tater
Old June 9, 2005, 10:00 AM   #8
BigSlick

Good point Tater,

I was going to run the customary 20 round strings, but decided 15 would give me sufficient data for standard deviation numbers to be somewhat better than just a cylinder of each.

I have read a few comments about H110 being a great powder, as well as LilGun, but find it a bit odd that some of the powders that have been mentioned here and on other forums aren't listed in mfr's published data.

It isn't like tha 500 came out a week ago. The only published data (in a manual) that I have found so far is Hodgdon. I guess the others are waiting for the next edition to print.

John Ross has done extensive work with the 500 and has some pretty darned good data listed on his website.

John Ross 500 data

BL-C2, WC-680, WC-820 and H322 seem to offer good performance in the 350-450gr bullet ranges.

Any thoughts on these ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old June 10, 2005, 02:36 AM   #9
Sturm

No, you didn't come off wrong. I just wanted to be clear that I don't shoot the caliber and was just trying to provide a source for data, which Accurate has for #9 and 4100. I thought they had it for #7, but turns out they don't. Same applies to VV and 3N37. Seems like most of the recommendations I see for the behemoth magnums are a little faster than H-110 and why I mentioned #9. But, you guys are using powders much faster in some cases and 680 and the others BigSlick mentioned in the last post are all a good bit slower,

Whatever you guys do with it, I would be interested in hearing about it.
Old June 10, 2005, 07:30 PM   #10
Doug242ti

I stand corrected. Went out to the shed I am indeed using lil-gun in my SW500 loads.