The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 10, 2013, 09:33 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

I wouldn't call the Radom "less well known" as there were hundreds of thousands made and they were widely used by the German military and security forces. Likewise the G.43, which was widely issued; the G.41 (M) and G.41 (W) would probably fit the less well known category.

The FP-45 (it was called a "flare pistol" as a cover name), or "Liberator", was an idea that went nowhere, as only a very few were ever even sent to a combat area and even fewer (probably none) were ever used on an enemy. It was a great idea in fiction, though, and while "well known" in one sense, was unknown at the time, so it would qualify.

The Gyrojet and Dardick are odd, but don't fit the OP's category of military hardware.

Jim
Old June 10, 2013, 10:37 PM   #27
GunXpatriot

My vote goes to the FP-45 Liberator Pistol. Honestly, I don't think many people knew about them before American Rifleman and Hickok45 brought them to everyone's attention.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:32 AM   #28
tahunua001

the liberators were literally a one shot use type of gun, they were designed to kill a soldier so you can take his weapon.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:11 AM   #29
csmsss

Quote:
the liberators were literally a one shot use type of gun, they were designed to kill a soldier so you can take his weapon.
Not that I've done exhaustive research, mind you, but I've never read an account of this actually happening. Heck, I've never read an account of one of these things being used - they don't exactly inspire confidence.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:33 AM   #30
csmsss

Quote:
The Gyrojet and Dardick are odd, but don't fit the OP's category of military hardware.
The Gyrojet was tested by the Army and actually saw service in Vietnam. The Dardick was, admittedly, never intended for and never used by the military; however, the Army is actively testing "tround" technology and it's quite possible we'll see this technology used some day in an automatic weapon.
Old June 14, 2013, 12:17 AM   #31
Doc TH

The SKS fits your criteria, except that it is not particularly rare. Used in Korea, RVN, & a few smaller conflicts.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:51 AM   #32
GunXpatriot

Quote:
The SKS fits your criteria, except that it is not particularly rare. Used in Korea, RVN, & a few smaller conflicts.
Honestly, the SKS may be a perfect choice for this thread. I mean, we as gun owners/enthusiasts are generally familiar with the SKS, but it's nowhere near as "iconic" as AK variants and the AR-15(M4/M16).

As far as practicality... I mean even today, an SKS is a very capable firearm all around. Maybe not so much for combat, given much larger magazines, even at the time they were manufactured, but firing a good round, being accurate enough for combat, or hunting, they are still great.

Although looking back, even when they were adopted by Russia very late in WWII, it was already outdated... Strange, that they'd even consider the thing, but as an alternative to the Mosin-Nagant, PPSh-41 and all the other less known weapons, I'm sure it had it's place. Somewhere.

The only thing I never got about SKS's was like "Does it want to be a Designated Marksman Rifle? Or does it want to be a Battle Rifle? Or maybe something like the role the M1 Carbine had?" I just don't know.