The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1
kline27

Remington 700 Varmint FS 22-250

I purchased a Varmint FS in .22-250 about 1 1/2 years ago and was disappointed in the accuracy. My pet load for the .22-250 is 35.0 gr. IMR 4320 behind a Sierra 53 gr. match bullet. This has been a great load for several rifles and I consider it my standard for accuracy. However, I can't get the FS to consistently shoot under an inch a 100 yds with this load or any of the most recommended loads I found on various forums. The FS stock isn't much so I invested in a replacement from Stocky's but got very little improvement. My procedure for setting seating depth with this caliber is to start a bullet, jam it into the rifling and close the bolt to set the "jam" length then turn the seater die down 1/2 to 1 turn to set the jump. When I tried this in the FS, the 53 gr. Sierras wouldn't touch the rifling with the bullet started just enough to hold it in the case. To me that indicates an excessively long throat. Has anyone had a similar experience, either inaccuracy and/or long throat, with the Varmint FS? I've been considering having the barrel set back but I don't think I should have to do that to a factory rifle.