The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old January 5, 2013, 12:36 AM   #1
redraif

Need advise on Grandfather's rifles

Hello all, this is my first post here. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right area.
I need some advise from those with more experience...

first the back ground...
My grandfather passed away almost 20 years ago and Grams moved in with Mom. Along with her came 2 rifles of his and they have been there since. The other day, Mom decided she wanted to sell my grandfather's rifles to get my grandmother some extra money. Well she asked me about selling them.

I had no idea she even had them and I had never seen the guns myself. Being the grand daughter, he ASSUMED a girl would have no interest in seeing guns. (well he was quite wrong) Anyway, I asked a guy I knew if he might be able to help me get some info on them. He asked me to get some pictures and he would see. Well I got them home and expected to find some old beat up rusty hunks... What I found was quite the opposite.

The history of the rifles...
These were his hunting rifles. Mom remembers whenever grampa used them he always cleaned them after. They were always kept in the house and in cases. He always babied his guns. And boy did it show. There is no rust, the wood is in prefect shape.

The guy I know wants to buy them, but I find myself not wanting to part with them. Grandpa took such meticulous care of them. Maybe I should buy one or both and keep them in the family... I know grandpa would want the rifles to go to a person who will care for them like he did. That I will definitely do. And yes, I have always had an interest in guns. Its been $ that has kept me from having one.

So now on to business...
I ask you all here what you think about these rifles. Should I try to keep both or just one? Which one is better if I can only retain one? Both are semi-automatic. For me that is definitely a plus.

1. Mossberg 151K (1950-1951)
2. Remington 550-1 (Feb. 1960: if I understand the barrel code)
(pics to follow)

From what I have read, the Mossberg only uses the .22 lr. The Remington notates s, l, and lr. I assume this means it can use a variety of ammo?

Seems alot of folks rave about the Remington, even over the Ruger 10/22, so I was leaning that way. But alot of folks say the Mossberg is great. That being said I would like to shoot both to see if one feels better for me that the other. What is the best ammo to get for each one?

Mossberg: I have read Federal Champion Target ammo- standard velocity (Dick's Sporting Goods), high velocity (WalMart).
Remington: No idea...

Thank you for any help you can give!

Last edited by redraif; January 5, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2
redraif

pics

Remington:

Last edited by redraif; January 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3
redraif

Remington

Last edited by redraif; January 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:45 AM   #4
redraif

Remington

Last edited by redraif; January 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:00 AM   #5
redraif

Mossberg:

Old January 5, 2013, 01:03 AM   #6
redraif

Mossberg:

Old January 5, 2013, 01:05 AM   #7
redraif

Mossberg:

Old January 5, 2013, 01:23 AM   #8
jimbob86

Very nice.

If you want to sell them, look them up in the Blue Book of Gun Values.... your library might have a copy, as will any gun dealer.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:29 AM   #9
tahunua001

WOW... I've never seen a pair of rifles that old that look that well cared for. for actual value and what is better I haven't a clue but most guns from that age either worked or nobody bought them, people had less understanding towards mediocre gun manufacturers than they do now. the one that lists several if I'm not mistaken just means that it can take 22 short. 22 short was very common in shooting galleries back when it was culturally alright to hand a child a rifle at the fair booth and tell him to knock the bottles down instead of handing him a baseball. some guns were able to cleanly cycle both 22 short and 22 long rifle but the recoil is so light that most just become a form of bolt action, requiring you to manually cycle each round. 22 short was also very popular in town where neighbors don't like you shooting those pesky squirrels...less noise.
Old January 5, 2013, 07:52 AM   #10
hodaka

Nice rifles. Regarding value, check the selling prices on Gunbroker, Guns America or some of the other websites. The Blue Book is typically not that accurate for market value. Unfortunately, .22's are usually at the lower end of the gun price spectrum, even older classics (exception for some Winchesters). I grew up with a Remington 550. Shorts were once cheap and my Dad let me shoot shorts assuming I could do less damage. Great gun but I screwed mine up trying to make it shoot full auto when I was a creative, yet pretty stupid teenager. My first attempt at gunsmithing!
Old January 5, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
hooligan1

I like that Mossberg, and that old Remington. They have been taken care of, it looks like to me also. I have an old 151k and I love it, There is a thread called "Lipstick on a Pig" that I did when I refinished the stock and did some internal work on it, it shoots wonderfully and looks nice too.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:48 AM   #12
globemaster3

As for your moral dilemma, to keep or not to keep, since that is the question, I'd say keep!

But I have a soft spot for multi-generational considerations, and consider what it would mean to your kids one day to have their great grandfather's rifles to go shoot! I know that would mean a lot to me as well as my kids.

Although I don't have any firearms from my ancestors, I do have knives, and old desk, and pictures. My kids love them, as it provides a tangible connection to a generation who, for the most part, checked out before they were born.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Both .22s with minimal value.
Keep and use.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First off, welcome to the playpen.

I still have fond memories of my Remington 550 from back in the 1950s. It always reliably fed Shorts, Longs and Long Rifle.

I suggest finding the value, paying Grandma, and then keeping which one of the two you like the most. The better of the two would be the one with which you can most easily hit a target.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15
TomL

Grandpas rifles

Not sure about the values, but they appear to be in vgc. If memory serves me the Rem marked s,l, lr had to be adjusted by the shooter when using the diff .22's The one I used when a kid which appears the same and has that larger knurled knob on the end of the receiver was turned in or out to pre load the ejection spring for low to higer velocity rounds, which was kind of unique. TL
Old January 5, 2013, 12:34 PM   #16
sirdiealot

if it was me would keep both but if you decide to keep only 1 of them keep the mossberg..course that gun has some sentimental value to me so may be biased lol....on another note if you decide to sell the mossberg keep me in mind would love to have it
Old January 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Hawg

I'd try to keep both but if I had to choose I'd take the Remington.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:36 PM   #18
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Never saw a Mossberg like that before but my in-laws had the 550 and it shot to point of aim out to 50 yards with any ammo we fed it. What I found on the Mossberg was it being sold in like new condition for $130 2 years ago. Since its for your Grandma I think I would offer her $150 for each gun and see if she would take payments as you could afford them, say $50 a week or every other week. I know they made at least 750,000 of the 550 so it's a pretty common gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 5, 2013, 01:45 PM   #19
Scorch

First off, welcome. Both very nice condition firearms.

If you are interested in taking up shooting as a hobby, I would say shoot them both, pick the one you like the most and shoot it a lot, and sell the other one. If you are looking for mementos of your grandfather, unused guns are a terrible testament to anyone.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:06 PM   #20
RJay

I think Old Grump is in the ball park on values. Both are very nice .22's , I wouldn't mind having either one. If there can only be one, the Remington would be more versatile. As you observed it can use either .22 Short, 22 Long ( kind of rare bird to day ) or .22 Long Rifle. .22 Shorts are nice for close quiet work, the .22 Long Rifle will work for up to dog size animals ( no, I'm not advocating shooting the neighbors dogs , just a comparison ), but like Robert Frost in his poem ( The Road not Taken ) the Mossberg is very accurate and would serve equality well. I also admire your desire on keeping at least one. Good Luck and shoot safe BTW, thank you for the wonderfull clear pictures, it makes life so much easier
Old January 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #21
Jim Watson

Nice to see two fairly ordinary rifles taken care of as all should be. There are so many guns coming out of closets in neglected shape that these are a treat.

I recently saw pictures of two name brand, high quality, high value pistols that had been neglected to rust since the owner's death. I don't know, maybe he didn't take care of his stuff while he was alive.

I can't say whether the Remington or the Mossberg would be the better keeper and shooter. I'd want them both for the family connection.

Back when the Remington was new, it made sense to have a rifle that would handle .22 short, long, and long rifle. All were readily availble and priced in proportion to power. Nowadays, you would have to look for and pay more for shorts and I don't know where you would go for longs.
Long rifles are the standard and you can get them in all capabilities and prices. High velocity, standard velocity, subsonic; bulk packed plinkers, good quality hunting ammo, true match grade at high prices.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:17 PM   #22
redraif

Thank you for all the replies. I have been tryjng to talk mom into letting me keep them both and paying gram for them. She all but told me there was no way she was allowing me to keep both. Ugh! So to the range I go next weekend.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:57 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Mama, we (note the "we") need to keep both of them for when we have to have something for twin boys!"

Hey, ya gotta think ahead when dealing with parents--for all that my "kid" will be 50, this coming April.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:44 PM   #24
lockedcj7

I have an identical Remington and it is a joy to shoot. I taught my son to shoot with it and it belonged to his grandfather. Unfortunately, he passed long before my son was born. This rifle, and the memories we make with it, will give them a way to be connected.

In reality, neither gun is worth much since more accurate, modern and versatile .22s are plentiful. $150 each would be more than fair.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:08 AM   #25
bamaranger

to me

Sounds to me like you've got some sentiment and memories wrapped around those rifles.

I'd set Mom and Granny down, make them an offer, and keep those memories alive.
Closed Thread