The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 20, 2011, 07:17 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermannr
I disagree with backing yourself into a corner. I do not, will not, retreat.
Some states' laws require that you attempt to retreat before you are allowed to utilize deadly force.
Old August 21, 2011, 11:41 AM   #27
Uncle Buck

Quote:
...but I was also under the impression that the castle doctrine meant I could defend my property as well, am I wrong about that?
Impressions can be wrong, and very costly.

It is important for everyone who contemplates using any type of weapon for self-defense to know what is required.

I do not understand the laws of California, but I do know you may be set free in a criminal court, yet still be sued in a civil court. (OJ Simpson) So even if you were found to not be guilty of a crime, it is possible you could still be sued for damages.

An aside: I do not remember going in to someones house through anything but the front door (Or the back door if our boots were muddy ) when I was a kid. But like the Tuscon kids, I now have teenagers who come through any available opening when it is feeding time. I am certainly glad I was never an annoying teenager!
Old August 22, 2011, 07:49 PM   #28
RampantAndroid

Quote:
I disagree with backing yourself into a corner. I do not, will not, retreat.
In WA, that's fine. In states like Maryland, you have to back up, turn and run, scream bloody murder, give up and offer the assailant tea and crumpets and then kindly ask them to let you live before you may use deadly force. All depends on the state. WA just so happens to have no duty to retreat.