The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 25, 2016, 11:29 PM   #1
coyotewsm

Bullpup selection. What to buy?

So I'm wanting to buy my first assault rifle and I thought why not go with a bullpup. The problem is I'm not sure what all is out there who all makes them. I have been looking at a tavor. Please list makes and models thoughts and opinions.
Old November 25, 2016, 11:39 PM   #2
raimius

(I'll get this out of the way early: "assault rifle" is a technical term, and the definition includes being select fire. Unless you are willing to pay $10k+ and wait several months for BATFE approval or are a FFL with the right license, you won't be getting an assault rifle. It is being VERY specific, because those who want to ban semi auto rifles play fast and loose with rhetoric, but are nasty in trying to prosecute based on technical wording.)

The Tavor and X95 are the most common. The F2000 is rarer, as well as the PS90 (more of a pdw cartridge). You may find some AUG clones. I think Desert Tech is making one soon. KELTEC made a 7.62 bullpup (not sure if they still do).
Old November 26, 2016, 01:59 AM   #3
ttarp

The Tavor and Tavor X95 are probably the most popular of the bullpups, due mainly to the companies well run advertising campaign. Good reliable rifles, the original Tavor has streamlined controls that make it stand out from the rest, the X95 traded those for more AR like controls, and a little more rail space.

The AUG is probably the oldest design readily available, very modular design, adjustable gas piston, takes proprietary magazines that cost a little more than AR mags. I don't think anyone currently makes AUG clones, but supposedly the Lithgow F90, which is an AUG derivative, will be imported soon.

Kel Tec has the RFB, a .308, and their newer design the RDB in .223. Most folks turn their nose up at these because they despise Kel Tec as a company, and the semi reasonable prices. Can't tell you much about these, but I think they both have adjustable gas settings and the RDB has downward ejection.

The Desert Tech MDR is supposed to be delivered in 2014, I mean early 2015. No wait, early 2016. I'm sorry, third quarter 2016, no more delays! Ok guys it will be shipping early 2017... Seems like a neat rifle, with good features and options but with a heavy price tag, and Desert Tech has made a total mess out of their multiple false release dates, very unprofessionally done. But hopefully for the market, and all the folks who preordered, it actually will ship in 2017.

There's another rather obscure bullpup out there, the K&M M17, it was featured in some of the NRA magazines a while back, its an updated Bushmaster bullpup, supposedly they're nice, but have you ever read a bad review in a magazine?
Old November 26, 2016, 03:55 AM   #4
marine6680

The new Australian rifle, that is basically an updated AUG, looks promising. It is being released soon as I understand it. They really did a good job fixing the shortcomings of the AUG design, if what I have been seeing online is correct.

I'm liking the overall features and setup best with it of all the bullpups.

If I was to get a bullpup, that is likely the one I would get right now. (If it takes a standard AR type mag... if not, the Tavor is the next)

The AUG is made in the US now, so no clone needed if you want to go that route.
Old November 26, 2016, 05:17 AM   #5
jughead2

bullpup

no rifle is perfect but please explain short comings of the AUG
Old November 26, 2016, 08:25 AM   #6
MarkCO

Have an RDB and I am pretty impressed with it. Needs a little work, but for under $1K, it was an easier option to play with a bullpup design.
Old November 26, 2016, 09:28 AM   #7
peggysue

Some Shortcoming of an AUG.
1. Trigger
2. Charging handle
Old November 26, 2016, 10:36 AM   #8
ttarp

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the Lithgow takes AUG mags, they'll probably do a "NATO" stock version like the AUG though at some point.

The trigger is supposed to be a significant improvement over the standard AUG trigger, and the rifle is a decent bit lighter to my understanding. There's something different with the barrel, I know on disassembly it stays on the receiver, I don't know if its quick change anymore. This is being touted as a wonderful thing because your optics won't lose zero, I guess thats useful if you want several receivers and only one stock?

Either way, the more options the better.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

If I had the funds, I'd go for the Tavor or the F2000.

I handled an AUG the other day and the whole bullpup design is great, IMO. Shame they are so expensive...
Old November 26, 2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Kvon2

P90 fan myself...i love the 5.7 round
Old November 26, 2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Cyanide971

Between all of them I chose the AUG NATO-stock model (uses AR mags). I prefer the balance and controls of it myself, and I don't have a problem with the trigger. Just took getting used to it coming from the AR platform.
Old November 26, 2016, 01:30 PM   #12
salt and battery

I say the AUG is the best the others are pale imitations. the AUG over 30 years ago was futuristic looking and still is today. I cant get over the fact people might complain about the trigger. when people are firing at you the pull could be 15 lbs and you will not know it. this is a combat gun not a bench rest gun and when walking with a group of your own men light triggers will kill your own people
Old November 26, 2016, 01:36 PM   #13
marine6680

The AUG is showing its age, while very forward thinking, it's still a product of its time.

It is some small things, little details that could stand improvement. I would need to reacquaint myself with the specific ones that annoy me.

MAC has a video out on the new rifle and it's changes.
Old November 26, 2016, 04:01 PM   #14
ranger56528

Just got my 1st bullpup and went with the X95 16.5 and topped it with a Mepro RDS and couldn't be happier,as of now I'm just over 900 rounds through it with still no issues and still I've only cleaned the barrel.
When I get to 1000 rounds I'll do a full cleaning.
Old November 27, 2016, 05:34 PM   #15
coyotewsm

I was already kinda leaning towards the tavor after seeing what you guys have said that's probably what I will go with.
Old November 27, 2016, 06:08 PM   #16
mellow_c

The AUG has my vote.

I've had no experience with the Tavor other then just holding one and dry firing it.

I've shot a couple AUGs and I can't describe how nice they are. They are a real pleasure to shoot! I don't mind the trigger, and there is a kit out there that lightens the pull if you must. The controls are easy to get used to. They are reliable, and the prices have come down on them considerably. I'd recommend the AUG A3. If you end up with one, make sure to get HK height sights or a low mounted optic, because of the rail height on the A3, if you use AR height sights you'll end up needing to use a chin wield instead of a cheek wield.

Good luck. Let us know if you end up with something.

PS... the AUG mags, while more expensive, are very reliable and don't fall short of other mags IMO anywhere other then price.
Old November 27, 2016, 09:48 PM   #17
turtlehead

A 9lb rifle with a 10lb trigger? Lol.

Have you considered an AR?
Old November 28, 2016, 05:21 AM   #18
jughead2

bullpup

the aug may not be a tack driver but back a few years ago i was able to hit beer cans at a measured 300 yards easily. this with a show room rifle
Old November 29, 2016, 05:59 PM   #19
Fishbed77

If I were to drop the coin for a bullpup, the X95 would be my first choice without a second thought.
Old November 30, 2016, 07:56 AM   #20
DMK

I'm waiting for the Keltec RDB to ramp up production and come out in numbers. Right now the demand for them is still higher than production.

It's light (between 6-7lbs), modular, simple with an AK like bolt carrier group but an AR like bolt, supposedly has a nice trigger (for a bullpup), will come with a 17.5" or 20" barrel, and the rear upper has the serial number. The latter meaning that caliber conversions are possibility. One of these with a 9mm conversion would rock.
Old December 3, 2016, 04:51 PM   #21
benEzra

I've become a huge fan of the Tavor SAR. I have a 16" flattop with a red dot, and for me, the placement of the mag release and bolt release are perfect, as is the safety placement. I have wanted an AUG since the early '90s and never got around to getting one, but I like the Tavor's layout even better. It isn't as accurate as my 16" AR at range, but it is handier as an HD carbine. I do prefer the SAR's mag release over the X95, but some people prefer the X95's AR-style mag release.

As to AUG vs. Tavor, the AUG may be a bit more accurate; the Tavor is more ergonomic with regard to the safety placement and the bolt release. I think if I were looking for a short-OAL rifle to put a 1-6x scope on, I'd lean toward the AUG, but if I were looking for a HD carbine or something to put a red dot on, I'd lean toward the Tavor.