The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 5, 2016, 10:40 AM   #1
foolzrushn

What will happen to BP products that Cabelas

carried now that Bass Pro has purchased them? I've not been to a Bass Pro Shop and haven't checked their website, so I wonder if the BP line will change and if so, how? More, less, brands, models, cost, sales, shipping?? Good or bad?

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 5, 2016, 11:05 AM   #2
drobs

The Bass Pro BP selection on their website stinks.
Cabela's just brought in a whole bunch of new C&B pistols. I'm keeping an eye on them for the next sale.

Hoping Bass Pro keeps the same selection.
Old October 5, 2016, 12:18 PM   #3
deerslayer303

Bass Pro's prices are higher. The good deals we see at Cabela's may be a thing of the past. But I hope not.
Old October 5, 2016, 12:44 PM   #4
Hawg

Better get them while you can.
Old October 5, 2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Gavlan

Yup smoke em if ya got em,, and hurry .
I can't see Bass Pro offering the same inventory or deals that Cabela's does OR did ,,,,,
Old October 5, 2016, 01:46 PM   #6
rebs

I was at BassPro in Nashville TN a couple weeks ago and all I can say is wow their prices were very very high compared to Cabelas and Gander mountain and even the BassPro shop in Auburn, NY
Get want you want from Cabelas now because I expect a sharp price increase when BP takes over.
Old October 5, 2016, 02:11 PM   #7
waveslayer

Bass pro sucks! Their selection is terrible and the prices. I love the Cabela's brand , they make some nice stuff and their rewards program is much better than BP! This sucks

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old October 5, 2016, 05:03 PM   #8
AKexpat

I just read an article about this and it seems a possibility that Bass Pro is going to keep the Cabela's name and their stores as a "somewhat" separate entity, leaving Cabela's to primarily address the hunting/shooting aspect and Bass Pro to primarily address the fishing/boating aspect. Keeping our collective fingers crossed...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...nd-center.html

I have been looking for Cabela's to put the Pietta 1851 Navy steel .36 pistol on sale (normal price: $250) every day for some time now (just because I "need" another one! ) and snagged one yesterday in a one-day sale for $180 with free shipping!. I have never seen them offer one at that low of a price before. Maybe a loss leader? Today the price is back up to $250 and no free shipping.

My reasoning for snatching up this pistol is that I need it to complete my Pietta 1851 .36 six-pistol historical fantasy (using 3 pistols based upon a 2014 [CM] "tail" grip profile, a 2015 [CN], and this new 2016 [CP], the latter two having the newer grip profile): 1851 Navy Second Model (SB TG), 1851 Navy Third Model (RB TG), Griswold & Gunnison, Schneider & Glassick, Leech & Rigdon, and my fave fantasy 1851: steel frame, SB TG, part octagon/part round barrel, and plain cylinder. Colt should have produced it as the 1851 Navy .36 Dragoon pistol. I love the lines of this pistol. I will post a pic of them all when I receive the new pistol.

Evidently the full octagonal barrel won out.

Here are two of them, the G&G and the Second Model. The pic was taken in this fashion to show the difference between the newer grip profile vs. the "tail" profile. Unless I am mistaken, Pietta is done with the "tail" profile and those will become replica collector items.

Still awaiting Mr. Brown for the new one.

And I am getting somewhat off-topic. I digress. Sorry.

To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old October 5, 2016, 05:23 PM   #9
JWT

I cannot see where this buyout is going to be beneficial to sportsmen and shooters. Bass Pro is hardly a bargain retailer.
Old October 5, 2016, 05:56 PM   #10
Model12Win

Track of the Wolf is your friend.
Old October 6, 2016, 09:13 PM   #11
bn12gg

X2 re Track...

.02. David.
Old October 6, 2016, 11:07 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Thats a business decision to maintain or not B/P merchandise. I have no plans on buying anything "so whatever they decide is OK with me because I have Track of the Wolf not 10 miles down the road from Cabela's " Lucky Me.
Old October 8, 2016, 01:16 AM   #13
Eric N.

Bass Pro sucks. And Track of the Wolf is 20 miles from me.
Old October 10, 2016, 11:45 AM   #14
maillemaker

Quote:
Bass Pro is hardly a bargain retailer.
Not like Cabela's is, either...

Steve
Old October 11, 2016, 06:49 PM   #15
Gaucho Gringo

Prices for BP guns will never be as cheap again at Cabela's prices today. It is a swansong and this will be the last. Just look at Bass Pro's prices. I have never bought anything from them in the entire time they have been in business as their prices have always been high and the shipping they bend you over on. Stopped looking years ago to buy anything from them. I have been buying from Acadamy of all places lately for ammo as the offer free shipping with decent prices and availability. Without Cabelas in the mix look for prices to rise for all the retailers as there is no competition offering lower prices and nobody else has deep pockets to adsorb cost or loss leader sales. By next Christmas you will be paying $250-300.00 for a brass frame revolver and the steel framed ones starting at $325.00 of any kind. Will have to check in next Christmas to see how true my prediction is.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old October 13, 2016, 06:20 AM   #16
emishi

Club member letter

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/cust...me=TommyLetter
Old October 13, 2016, 08:17 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Buying black powder shooting supplies from my local Cabelas is sort of like going to a ski resort for lunch. Every time I'm in there, I go down the "black powder" aisle, look at caps, balls, patching material, etc and just shake my head and walk away. It's actually cheaper to buy loaded 9mm ammo than to buy the stuff needed to shoot a cap and ball revolver from them.

I put "black powder" in quotes because they don't even sell black powder.
Old October 13, 2016, 08:53 PM   #18
foolzrushn

BLE

It's true that Cabelas doesn't have much in the way of black powder supplies. However they do have some pistols, balls, caps, wads, measures, holsters and Pyrodex, so at least I can shoot. I haven't made the plunge into casting, but make my own wads.

I have not been to Bass Pro, but I know that Gander Mountain has even less than Cabelas for pistols. No pistols or pistol balls or pistol powder or substitutes. And only a few things for BP rifle. I am really surprised that they stay in business, because when I have gone, there are always more clerks than customers.

Sports Academy doesn't carry BP pistols either. So for me, Cabelas has been mostly the only choice. The local gun shops cater to cartridge guns and by the time you pay shipping and such, it's costly to order supplies.

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 13, 2016, 09:18 PM   #19
deerslayer303

I think Dixie is very close to Cabelas revolver prices. So thankfully we still have them and track, buffalo, etc. As far as Bass Pro, I have only ever bought a cup of coffee in there and even then it was over priced and not very good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old October 13, 2016, 10:08 PM   #20
drobs

Bass Pro's HQ and main store is in Springfield MO, I go in there probably 3x a year to walk around. Stop in when hitting the "Big City" after trips to Sam's Club. They have the NRA Museum there, that is pretty cool.

They carry a decent amount of BP supplies in the store - Ball, Caps, Substitute Powder, Wads, etc. Always full price. Other than the clear plastic brass frame kit revolvers and modern BP rifles at the start of deer season have never seen any selection of BP guns.

Last time I was heading back to the US asked the wife to call Bass Pro and ask them to set aside some FFFg Goex as they advertise that they carry it ($35 per lb) in the Springfield store. Well... according the the gun counter guy, it's listed on the computer but they can't find it...

Called around and found a gun shop in Springfield that carries real BP. Cheaper at the small gun shop than what it would've been at Bass Pro, by 1/2 or more.

I always consider Bass Pro and Cabela's to be Full Price stores.
However, Cabela's has impressed me lately with their BP sales on guns, spare cylinders, and accessories. I hope we see another sale from them.
Old October 14, 2016, 03:56 PM   #21
maillemaker

Quote:
I think Dixie is very close to Cabelas revolver prices.
Possibly for retail prices, but who buys Cabela's black powder guns at regular price? I always waited for the sales, which were clearly marked.

I think DWG has sales, but it's not so obvious when they are on sale.

Steve
Old October 15, 2016, 08:00 PM   #22
jackmoser65

Quote:
...now that Bass Pro has purchased them...
The deal is not done until the shareholders approve it.
Old October 22, 2016, 01:43 PM   #23
drobs

And there's another sale going on right now.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows..._SEQ_567338580
Old October 23, 2016, 02:33 PM   #24
drobs

And they just added another gun to sale - still too spendy in my book but...
STS 1858 Pietta was added today.

Now someone here talk me out of or into one of these percussion rifles:

Pedersoli Kentucky rifle - 50 cal
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...00000000000000

Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle - 54 cal
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...00000000000000

Seems to me there are 2 major players in the traditional "affordable" factory bp rifle game, right now, Pedersoli and Lynman. Leaving CVA out.

I'm left handed and would like to hold out for a lefty Lynman Great Plains rifle. However, those Davide Pedersoli rifles are kinda calling my name.
Old October 23, 2016, 07:25 PM   #25
BerdanSS

Cabelas in Louisville is ditching all their civil war black powder guns. The muskets are all but gone and they only had one revolver in stock last I was there. It's the reason I snatched one of the pedersoli baker "cavalry" shotguns for about 60% off.

Tags
bass pro shop , cabelas , cabelas sale