The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
psychobilly

Missed the Boat...

I guess I must confess my confusion, or at least being out of the picture But,
after reading yet another straight faced ad re Zombie killers in all calibers, gauges,wts et forms, what are these people talking about? Please enlighten moi. Or least let me know what catagory I can find such arcane info.

Thanking you all in advance,
I remain,
Psychobilly
Old September 11, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
BGutzman

Its just ammo with a fun advertising twist. Generally in these forums any undead threads end up being dead very quickly, except for maybe halloween.

You want good stuff try corbon DPX, Speer Gold Dots or Hornady Critical Duty Ammo...
Old September 11, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
chewie146

It's just v-max and critical defense with green tips. I've shot some, but it's nothing special.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Sgt Pepper

Quote:
It's just v-max and critical defense with green tips. I've shot some, but it's nothing special.
You obviously have not shot an actual zombie with that load...
Old September 11, 2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

http://www.hornady.com/store/Zombie-Max
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 14, 2012, 04:07 PM   #6
zombietactics

It's just another thing I should have been making money from, but aren't ... sigh.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I bought some because it was the only self defense rounds my LGS had otherwise I would have passed just based on principle. I'm sure they work just as well on man or zombie.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
shortwave

Nothing more then marketing hype.

Same as some of the body washes,colognes etc. promising you'll get more action from the opposite sex if you use the product.... Or if you use brand X motor oil , certain gasoline or auto wax your Volkswagen bus will last, run and look like a Lamborghini.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:53 PM   #9
lee n. field

A joke that's run its course.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 17, 2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not only is it ammunition, but it's now spreading into firearms, all in the name of grabbing some extra market share.

Personally, I think it's a pretty poor idea.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Salmoneye

Quote:
I agree...
Old September 17, 2012, 11:26 AM   #12
shortwave

Quote:
Agree.

And you would think the manufacturers marketing in this way would know they are not helping the firearms community what-so-ever.

But then again, though not acceptable to many, the way it seems to be in the U.S. is the $ is all that matters. Morals on getting that $ seems to go by the wayside more and more.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:11 PM   #13
spacecoast

Quote:
Personally, I think it's a pretty poor idea
Yeah, next thing ya know Pepsi will resurrect Michael Jackson as a salesman... oh wait, they've already done that.

Marketing knows no limits...
Old September 17, 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Patriot86

BUT IT HAS THE BIO HAZARD SYMBOL ON IT! Therefor it must be more effective against zombies right?

I have a couple of boxes in my special place display case; in a few years when its no longer made maybe I will sell it once the price explodes. If it does not then my end goal would be to buy an old fire extinguisher case; paint it black and green; put a hatchet and some "zombie" ammo in it and put lettering on it that says "in case of zombie apocalypse break glass"

I think that would make a cool showpiece in a man room.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:26 PM   #15
mesinge2

I don't take it seriously of course but I like anything that sells more guns and if it gets people into shooting than what's the problem? Its like anything else in life; if you don't like it don't buy it. Other than that I find the marketing idea kind of fun. I personally buy the Zombie max ammo over the critical defense ammo only because I prefer brass cased ammo over nickel-plated brass as I have had issues with nickel brass in the past.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Michael Jackson wasn't a deadly weapon... An offensive one, maybe, but not a deadly weapon.

I have serious reservations about pairing deadly weapons such as firearms and ammunition with stuff that is completely out of the realm of science fiction/fantasy solely to capitalize on a fad.

As gun owners we all have to fight for legitimaticy and credability every day, and crap like this doesn't help with the building of an image of safe, responsible, gun owners.

Old September 17, 2012, 04:08 PM   #17
shortwave

Quote:
I don't take it seriously of course but I like anything that sells more guns and if it gets people into shooting than what's the problem?
Hope Mike Irwin's post clarified 'what the problem' is.

Many in the anti-gun community believe and preach that gun ownership is barbaric, senseless and that those that own guns are lacking in the maturity level compared to non-gun owners.

This 'zombie' marketing crap just feeds that anti-gun mentality.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:40 PM   #18
Webleymkv

I don't really see the zombie stuff promoting a negative image of gun owners any more than the tactical/ninja/operator stuff. In fact, I could see it helping our cause in that it shows some of the fence-sitters that we're not all grumpy old curmudgeons or Delta Force wannabes but rather normal people who like to have a little fun every now and then. I really don't think that shooting imaginary monsters is going to offend more people than shooting at facsimiles of people or animals and, as far as the Bradys and their like are concerned, well they don't seem to have any trouble fabricating information to use against us anyway.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:44 PM   #19
bamaranger

not a dime

I will not spend one dime on anything zombie related,, unless it was heavily discounted!
Old September 17, 2012, 07:25 PM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
This 'zombie' marketing crap just feeds that anti-gun mentality
I don't think the antis are that way because they disdain the zombie thing. That might be a convenient excuse to someone looking for a reason, but it's not a valid reason.

BTW, my earlier reference to Michael Jackson was the use of the deceased to promote something trivial like Pepsi. If it will sell, some Marketing genius will do it, no matter how ludicrous.

Quote:
unless it was heavily discounted
Doubtful, if anything you are paying more for the packaging.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #21
whippoorwill

I just hope that it runs its course soon. It's embarrassing to me as a firearms enthusiast, and I'm embarrassed for the companies promoting zombie products. I'm even more embarrassed for the firearms magazine writers endorsing this stuff. I've lost respect for some of them. JMO
Old September 17, 2012, 10:46 PM   #22
shortwave

Something to think about...

Old September 18, 2012, 12:52 AM   #23
Redhawk5.5+P+

I never bought Horbady, now I have even a better reason not to, not to mention there price's.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:42 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

been thinking about Zombie bullets in 17 caliber ( bullets, not loaded ammo ) they've been on sale for a while now, for much less than the red tipped varriety... I doubt the varmints would know the difference between the red & green tips
Old September 18, 2012, 07:23 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I don't really see the zombie stuff promoting a negative image of gun owners any more than the tactical/ninja/operator stuff."

I've got serious issues with that crap, as well.

Nothing says "responsible gun owner" to me like the 600 pound guy decked out in all camouflage (sp?) wearing a low-ride holster (it's low ride because it's slipping off his gut) who proceeds to shoot up the range because he doesn't know the first thing about how to shoot a gun.

But man does he look GREAT in his camo and low ride...

And let's not forget his ninja boots...

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 18, 2012 at 07:29 AM.