The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2015, 09:45 AM   #1
BombthePeasants

Loading for a Glock 17C

Dearest Sirs, Madames, and Bruce Jenners...

I have loaded 1000's of rounds for my .45's, 1000's of rounds for my M1 Garand, 100's of rounds for my M1 Carbine, so I feel like I have this whole thing down, in terms of process and procedure. My wife recently bought a Glock 17C at a substantial discount, so I took up 9mm reloading for her gun. I used my manuals, and found what I thought would be good training load: 124gr plated RN's, 4.4gr of Winchester Super-Field, loaded to 1.135" COL. I use the Lee Classic Turret with the Auto Disk. However, we get constant double feeds, and the slide won't lock on last round, leading me to think that the rounds are too weak. With factory ammo, no problem.

Question is this: I have 2 manuals stating that max. powder charge for this round is 4.7gr of WSF; However, the next cavity up on the Lee Auto Disk drops 4.8gr. Seeing as how this is a compensated gun, would that 0.1 grain over be of no consequence? Does anyone here load for ported guns and find this to be a common problem?
Old November 3, 2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Sharkbite

The fact that the gun has ports cut into the slide and barrel should not change the "load" used.

If anything those cuts make the slide SLIGHTLY lighter and should (if anything) increase slide velocity.

If you feel safe loading an over MAX load without carefully working up to that load then, sure. The heavier powder charge will increase pressure and velocity, which in turn will run the slide harder to the rear.

I personally would not do that without CAREFUL load workups in incremental degrees. Only increasing powder .1gns or so until i got full function of the pistol.

Maybe for development you can hand trickel a cpl dozen rounds in a ladder style for testing.
Old November 3, 2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Sharkbite

Continued...

I load a LOT of 9mm. Ive found a super light plinking load for new shooters to try. It uses Bulleye not WSF, but the concept is similar.

That load will function my Gen 3 G19, but not my Gen 3 G26. The G26 has duel recoil springs that are just too strong for that load to function.

As you get good function with factory ammo, id guess your WSF load is just too light. With your being stuck with the charges the Auto-disk allows maybe look into a different powder. One that allows a just short of max load
Old November 3, 2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Hodgdon's data shows 4.7 grains max for lead and 5.3 grains max for jacketed bullets. While not an absolute truth, plated bullets often have maximums that lie somewhere between lead and jacketed, so I would say you could probably go to around 5.0 grains. But check with the bullet maker.

I would be careful, during load workup, to look not only for signs of pressure, but would check carefully for quick build-up of metal fouling over 100 rounds, checking every 5 rounds or so. Polygonal barrels have suffered sudden increases metal fouling build-up with lead bullets, causing significant and sometimes dangerous blowout level pressure increases. The mechanism has to do with how soft the bullets are, and since plated bullets are softer than jacketed bullets, but harder than plain lead, you need to keep an eye out for this occurring, especially as you work the load up to higher pressures. Or, you can get an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling to use for lead and other softer bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 3, 2015, 01:04 PM   #5
BombthePeasants

changing powders is a no-go for me. I have an 8lb. jug of WSF that I'm only halfway through. I'm fixed as to powder-bullet-primer combos.
Old November 3, 2015, 01:37 PM   #6
TMD

Even at $25 for a pound of powder as little as 9mm uses it works out to less than .02 cents a round. Titegroup and Bullseye will work much better. But if you insist on sticking with what you have bump thr charge up a bit. Also for what it's worth, LEE's auto disc throw lighter than what their chart shows so you may be below minimum already.
Old November 3, 2015, 02:59 PM   #7
BombthePeasants

yes, the cuts lighten the slide, thus increasing velocity. The question is, how much is the recoil impulse LESSENED by the bleeding of gases?
Old November 3, 2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Sharkbite

I would say very little if at all. Its a recoil system not a gas operated gun.

Its a straight bullet weight at a given velocity created so much recoil force to move the slide.

You should actually weigh some of your powder charges to KNOW exactly how much you are throwing. I would not rely on the auto disk chart to be spot on.
Old November 3, 2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Quote:
However, the next cavity up on the Lee Auto Disk drops 4.8gr.
Does it? Or does the Lee chart SAY it does?
Agree with Shark, you have to be able to calibrate your measure with a scale.
Old November 3, 2015, 06:23 PM   #10
Sevens

Though I do not use (nor have I ever used) the Lee Auto disk system... I do happen to own two of them.

As the disks themselves are very cheap, it is a simple matter to take a "bit too small" cavity and enlarge it to the perfect volume for dumping exactly the charge you want.
Old November 3, 2015, 08:17 PM   #11
Jim Watson

True, but only if you have a scale to adjust by.
No sign that the OP does.