The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2014, 12:30 PM   #1
histed

Seating problem

I just started loading lead in the 30-30. My first test loads came out of theseater die with a ring pressed into the boolit about 1/8" from the nose. I tried drilling out the plug, as per Lee's directions, but still have the ring. I'm thinking put a little JB Weld on a well greased boolit, press it into the plug and let it dry. The plug will then conform to the bullet nose with no ring. Anyone with more experience see a problem with this?
Old September 11, 2014, 12:44 PM   #2
OzeanJaeger

That might work, but Lee probably makes a seater plug for cast lead bullets, and I'll bet they're less than $5. Lots of die sets for calibers that commonly use cast come with two sets of seater plugs (one of them specifically for cast). I don't have one from Lee, but I do from RCBS. I would be shocked if Lee doesn't have them.
Old September 11, 2014, 01:30 PM   #3
oldpapps

I use a dab of 'hot glue' from a glue gun, sticks well to the nose plug but not to a lubed bullet. Bing bang, perfect fit to the boolet nose.
I expected this to wear out in short order. Nope, last for a long time, till the wad of 'hot glue' flexes enough to pop free. A thinner wad lasts longer, less flex.

Load with care,

OSOK
Old September 11, 2014, 06:53 PM   #4
histed

I never thought of calling Lee but that does make more sense. It is, after all, their mold I'm casting with, And thanks, Oldpaps. Hot glue is easier to work with than JB.
Old September 11, 2014, 10:47 PM   #5
mehavey

Actually, I've done the JB trick with three seater dies that I use w/ soft alloy for black powder cartridge rifles.

- Wax/lube the bullet, start it and the case into the seater die without the seater plug.
- Put a very small* "dab" of JB into the plug cavity and then screw it into the die until it just makes bullet contact.
- Walk away til later

* you don't want overflow into the die when the bullet tip displaces it. Even so,
lube the die walls and that will take care of it unless you just glob it all over.

Last edited by mehavey; September 12, 2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old September 12, 2014, 06:00 AM   #6
histed

mehavey - that's what I had in mind. Good to know I'm on the right track