The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Elerius

Pulling 38 Long Colt

I have an old box of 50 .38 Long Colts LRN that someone gave me. Its about 20 years old. The weight is 158 grain. What I would like to do is pull all the bullets and load them for 38 special, as I have yet to see that for sale and I'd like some practice with my LCR. I would just be scrapping the cases and powder and just want the bullets.

I don't see a problem doing this but I want to double check before I do it. Any issues with this idea that I don't know about?
Old November 5, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Bezoar

scratches head....

ummm you have a 38 special or 357 magnum revolver and a box of 38 long colt. 38 long colt works in 38/357 chamber. just be lots of cleaning afterwords.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:29 AM   #3
hodaka

Sell the Long Colt's and buy 2 or 3 boxes of .38's.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4
griz

If it wasn't for the costs of shipping being so high I would offer to trade 38 special cases and 158 gr bullets for that ammo. But just shooting them seems to be your best option.
Old November 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Elerius

Wait, I can actually fire these from my LCR as they are? I didn't even consider that option, but I know exactly zero about these bullets. I figured they would be too different.

I looked at what they were going for on gunbroker when I got them months ago, and none were selling for various prices. I didn't think they were worth anything
Old November 5, 2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

Yes. Bezoar is right. You can just shoot 'em.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Before you shoot them

You might want to consider their value in today's market.

While they aren't worth much to .38Spl/.357 shooters, there are people around the country who have and shoot .38 Colts, and some of them might just be willing to pay a good price for ammo.

.38 Colt (long & short) was tough to find, BEFORE the last administration getting elected sent things into a panic spiral. Today? good luck.

Seriously, curb your desire a bit, and don't shoot, or break down those rounds for their bullets, just so you can shoot your LCR. You'll be throwing away money, if you do.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #8
musher

You can buy 38/357 bullets for about 35/500 and get them in a few days. If you've got powder for loading, 38 spl cases, and primers then just order the right bullets.

38 long colt is going for 31/box 50 at midway (in stock at the moment), so you should be able to recoup 1/2 the cost of your 500 bullet purchase.

Try missouri bullet co, they shipped quick the last time I placed an order.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Elerius

I was only going to break them up or shoot them because they were useless to me. I've been using the weight to keep a fan from vibrating off the windowsill and just noticed that the weight was the same and maybe I could use them after all. I guess I will end up selling them