The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2013, 10:07 PM   #51
allaroundhunter

Re: Question for bow hunters regarding boars

I love to pig hunt with my bow. I have used Rage broadheads in the past, but now I stick with G5 Montecs. They are not difficult to kill, I prefer waiting for them to be quartering away and sliding the arrow behind the front shoulder.

The furthest rest I have had one run on me was 200 yards, but with that one after the arrow passed through her it stuck a piglet and pinned it to the ground... So if you average the distance the two traveled it was only 100 yards
Old June 8, 2013, 05:58 AM   #52
shurshot

I use Zwickey or Magnus 2 blade broadheads, but I shoot instinctive with a recurve (older vintage Bears, Howatts, Wings, Ben Pearsons, Brownings, etc.). Cedar and weighted carbon arrows. In the past few years, I have had several deer travel no more than 50 yards after being hit. I also arrowed a Florida wild hog that went less than 100 yards and bled out through a wound channel that looked like a .30-06 softpoint hit it. And I'm only using a 50# recurve.
Keep them razor sharp on a heavy arrow, pick a spot and focus. The old 2 blades work just fine.
Nothing against compounds or crossbows, if that's what you like. But to me, there is nothing like taking a well made vintage Recurve out into the woods hunting. They are light, responsive and perfect for fast action and LOW light conditions at dawn or dusk. Plus the curves on the recurve bows are sexy.
And SIMPLE. Once properly tuned, there are not sights to get knocked out of kilter, no wheels, cams or cables to tune, nothing to oil, no creaking noise when I draw, no trigger releases to lose. I only carry a pre-shot & waxed spare string for my recurve when hunting. That's it. If my string should break in the field, I can replace it in under 10 seconds. Simple.
Plus, there is the additional challenge of shooting instinctive, like mankind has done for 40,000+ years, no sights or gadgets, just me, two sticks and a string. Just look at what you want to hit and shoot, much like throwing a baseball.
Pure and simple, basic bow hunting. For me, it puts the "sport" back in hunting.
Oh yeah, pertaining to broadheads; many hunting outfitters now ban / forbid the use of "Rage" and other expandable broadheads and only allow cut on impact blades, due to the amount of lost & wounded game they have seen with expandable broadheads. Yes, the TV commercials for the "Rage" and others are very cool, but in the field, I would stick with a quality 2 or 3 blade for game, even if I used a modern, ultra fast compound or Crossbow.

Last edited by shurshot; June 9, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:11 PM   #53
Striker1

I use Magnus with my recurve but for hogs, I prefer either a 3 or 4 blade as the cut doesn't seem to close as easily...providing a better blood trail if needed.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:57 PM   #54
publius

I had a head injury and couldn't shoot a rifle for about a year. Easy fix, .44 Mag. or .45 colt. Bowhunting is a lot of fun though. There are lot's of good bows out there. Go to a few bow shops and ask plenty of questions. The only recommendation I have is to stay away from mechanical (expand on impact) broadheads if you are going after pigs. That gristle shield can be pretty thjick and you could also hit a heavy bone like the shoulder. I would use the Snuffer head if you are going after pigs.