The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 17, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
browninghunter86

308 Win Build

Have a Savage 10 action with Accu-Trigger on it and just ordered my BC Medalist A2 stock. Am looking at a Savage 10FP takeoff barrel $150 shipped or either Shilen/Criterion Barrels around $315 that are varmint contour and would probably have them custom made to 22" length

Anyone have experience with Criterion/Shilen in 308 win that can offer me advice on which way to go or if the Savage barrel would shoot good for me

Thanks for any input/advice
Old July 18, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Scorch

$150 for a takeoff barrel is too high, even if brand new. I would advise you to save the money and just buy an aftermarket barrel in the chambering you want. Criterion barrels are very good, as are Shilen. Take a look at McGowen barrels also, I use these on builds, and they deliver superb accuracy.
http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog7.htm
Old July 18, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
browninghunter86

Scorch thanks for the reply. I ended up going with the Shilen Select Match Stainless in 26" and 1:10 twist
Old July 21, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
tobnpr

Sure you'll be happy with the Shilen.
But, the 10FP heavy contour barrel has an excellent reputation for sub minute accuracy, agree that the price was too high, anyway...

Savage factory barrels are usually very accurate. I bought a used FM Sierra mountain rifle in 7-08 for long range, made a stock for it, and planned on re-barreling.
For the heck of it, bought a box of 150 SMK's and worked up some H4350 loads. Damn if it didn't print one ragged hole at 100 yards with the lightweight, 20" factory barrel...

Had no problems with 10" steel gongs at 565 yards. Now, I'm torn as to replacing it when it shoots so well! I'm getting nearly 2600 fps with the short barrel, which ain't bad at all...But, I want to run heavier pills (162 Amax) and likely need a bit faster twist.

Let us know how you make out with your new barrel.
Old July 21, 2012, 09:26 PM   #5
browninghunter86

Sure will. I think I am going to try the Amaxs out of the new barrel along with the SMK possible
Old July 22, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
tobnpr

I was talking to a guy at the range a couple of weeks ago, we were comparing notes on our 308's...

Guns weren't similar (he had a CZ750), my son has a Savage- but they both seem to prefer the heavier bullets. My son's likes the 175 SMK's (and doesn't like the 168's)- and he suggested the 178 Amax. I had overlooked that bullet- and we've had good luck with the Amax in other calibers. I'm ordering a box of the 178's and see how his rifle likes them.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:32 PM   #7
browninghunter86

New Reloading Bench Almost Finished

Needed a bigger bench so me and my wife built this one this weekend
Old July 24, 2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Clark

You don't need much of a bench to swap Savage barrels with a nut.

I made an action wrench for a Savage and demonstrated we could swap barrels in the field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SavageSwithcBarrelViseRecoilLugReliefCutDSCF0006.jpg (92.2 KB, 11 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 24, 2012, 06:24 PM   #9
browninghunter86

New Stock just arrived

BC Medalist A2

HOw do I take magazine out of old stock to put in new one? I tried youtube but could not find anything
Old July 24, 2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Clark

Quote:
browninghunter86
HOw do I take magazine out of old stock to put in new one? I tried youtube but could not find anything
Like getting off a tight pair of pants after swimming.
Wiggle wiggle push push keep trying
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 25, 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
browninghunter86

clark: actually had to use a pair od pliers and pull straight up on the black tab on bottom part of magazine in the picture and it pulled it out. But it was very very secure in the factory stock
Old July 31, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
browninghunter86

Shilen Select Match varmint contour barrel arrived yesterday at my door. It looks great