The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2000, 05:09 PM   #1
Oatka

I just picked up a shell indenter marked "Lyman". I have seen this tool in the early (ca. 1900) Ideal handbooks but not in the old Lymans.

I was just surprised to see an antique tool like this with Lyman's name on it.

Can anybody supply the dates when Marlin took over the Ideal tool company, and, when Lyman took over from Marlin?

BTW, the shell indenter allowed the user to make 4 indendations 90 deg. apart in the neck. This would prevent a short range bullet from being pushed deeper into the shell when used in a tubular magazine rifle.

It seemed to me an extra complicated road to take when you could just crimp the case in the forward groove. Maybe this was invented in the days when the seating chamber wasn't adjustable (as in the old #6 tong tools).
Old November 25, 2000, 12:23 PM   #2
Contender

Oatka,

The Ideal tool company which was owned by John Barlow "changed ownership" and came under control of Marlin Firearms in May 16th, 1910. Marlin eventually sold Ideal Tool during WWI to Phineas Talcott and the Lymans bought the company in October of 1925 from him when it was not doing well.

An interesting side note is that the Lymans bought the company at the request of the export manager of Winchester Arms. His Australian customers were demanding reloading tools for the rifles they were buying but, production at Ideal was too slow to meet the demand. The Lymans agreed to buy the company and speed up production to meet demand.

I guess the Aussies don't have to worry about such things anymore now.

Regards