The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 24, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

The Rem 710 / 770 repackaged yet again.

Now it's called the "Whitetail Pro Rifle". They're spending a lot of effort putting lipstick on this pig.
Old October 24, 2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Full-choke

You'd think that someone, eventually, in the head of Remington would understand that the only people that really buy that piece of junk are the ones that go to a super store like Dunhams or Wally World to buy a gun. The rest of us don't really care for inferior junk that will not perform to our standards...

F-C
Old October 24, 2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Quote:
The rest of us don't really care for inferior junk that will not perform to our standards...
Unless its a Heritage, Bersa, and so on....

Wildbutmaybenobodywants710satallAlaska ™
Old October 24, 2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Bogie

Actually, for the Average Bubba Hunter, the rifle will likely outlive him... I'm talking about the guy who buys a 20 round box of .30-06 for deer season every year, and shoots off whatever's left either while drinking at deer camp or on new year's eve...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 24, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
island66

F-C

The thing you have to remember is that Remington is not building that rifle for you. They're not building it for me. It's an entry level rifle for entry level hunters and shooters. I don't know about your experience with these rifles, but I've shot several of them and have yet to find one that won't shoot pretty dedgum good with just about any ammo you want to put through it (around 1" at 100 yards). Is it smooth? Nope. Is it ugly? As ugly as a hog's butt sewed up with barbed wire. But the fact remains that it performs very well for the intentions and expectations of the intended customer. While it's not something I would personally buy, I think it's great that they're offering a US made rifle at a price point to attract new hunters and shooters.

Jason
Old October 24, 2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Full-choke

Island, very good points.

I do appreciate that fact, but I still think it could be improved upon. It isn't exactly the best rifle, but for the joe-shmo, it would work well.

F-C
Old October 24, 2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Dirty_Harry

I don't understand why anyone one would buy this package gun....when there are savage and weatherby vanguard packages out there.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 24, 2007, 10:51 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Bogie and island - you are right, of course. But it's just disheartening/frustruating to see Rem cheapen the brand when for so many decades, you know/knew that it's real simple: if you have a Remington, you have a high quality rifle. The 710s are not *terrible* (they seem to be accurate), but man oh man are they cheesy looking and feeling - not smooth like a Remington should be. The approach they are taking of lowering the price on the 700 sps is the way to go, as they are doing - I don't understand why they're doing *both* that AND still pushing the 710. If they're gonna spend money promoting the 710, I mean whitetail rifle, then it seems like they ought to keep the price on all 700s jacked up as the more premium offering and not take a hit on the SPS's. I dunno.

Quote:
As ugly as a hog's butt sewed up with barbed wire.
Old October 25, 2007, 07:33 PM   #9
Yithian

The 710/770 uses a two piece reciever.
The outer part has always been metal.
The inner piece of the 710 is plastic and metal on the 770.
I think remington got a good deal on manufacturing cheap outer reciever pieces.
Now that they are stuck with a hunk of metal that wont sell, they are trying to patch it and resell it as if it were a new model.
Is the 770 better than the 710?
Longevity-wise... maybe.

But it is still a two piece reciever. Any moisture gets between those two pieces and the rifles doom is sealed.
Literally.
The two part reciever does not appear to be able to be taken apart and cleaned/oiled.

Its still a hunk of junk that remington wants to sell at a probably huge markup.

remington gave up on quality and just wants your buck.
Starting to sound just like buckmaster magazine, isn't it?
Old October 25, 2007, 07:44 PM   #10
rampage841512

Alright, if not the 710, then what for that price? I've got one, and I've yet to have any real problems with it (I'm left handed so no bolt-gun except an expensive left handed version is going to be smooth for me). I am in the market though. Saw Model 70 WSSM in, I believe .270, for around $300. Would this be a better rifle for deer hunting?
Old October 25, 2007, 07:57 PM   #11
wolverine350

I have the new 770 stainless steel and it is a very fine shooter, they have reworked it and the bolt opens and closes with ease, the new stock is better than the old 710 and well for the money it is a nice gun for those its all they can afford, i bought it for under 400 and got stainless
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old October 25, 2007, 08:38 PM   #12
lockedcj7

Stainless in a modern cartridge gun is not a selling point to me and I won't pay extra for it. In a muzzle-loader, it would be. You can find great deals on 700's, you just have to look and wait for them to come along.

I've bought two 700ADLs in the last few years. One I got for just under $300 and the other for $250 including a Simmons scope.

The first one was a .270 that had been abused. It had some surface rust, the rear sight was removed (no doubt to clear a scope) and the bore was dirty. I cleaned it up, removed the front sight and stuck a good scope on it. It shot great and I eventually sold it for a small profit.

The second one was a 30-06 that belonged to a friend. He had given it to his dad to replace a gun that had been stolen. The friend calls me up and asks if I'm interested and tells me the price. Of course, I go get it. Before anyone accuses me of taking advantage, they both know that I would sell it back to them for even money if they want it back.

A young man that I have mentored in hunting asked for my advice on the 710 and I advised him to wait and find a good 700 like the ones I've found.
Old October 25, 2007, 08:55 PM   #13
island66

Quote:
The 710/770 uses a two piece reciever.
The outer part has always been metal.
The inner piece of the 710 is plastic and metal on the 770.

But it is still a two piece reciever. Any moisture gets between those two pieces and the rifles doom is sealed.
Literally.
The two part reciever does not appear to be able to be taken apart and cleaned/oiled.
Actually...the 770 receiver (latest version of the 710) is not 2 piece. It is a single piece of steel extruded over a mandrel to form the bolt raceways. The trigger assembly/bolt stop is still attached to a "receiver insert" attached just forward of the receiver tang, but the main body of the receiver is solid steel. The 710's were changed to this style of receiver in 2005.
Old October 25, 2007, 09:17 PM   #14
stolivar

duh

About any gun out there is better then the 710 or 770. You can buy a Mossy ATR for around $249 or a Stevens for around $285. The 770 goes for $300 or better.

Both of the others are way better then the cheap 770......

steve
Old October 28, 2007, 08:22 PM   #15
wolverine350

I wander how many people bad mouth the 710 or 770 and have never owned one, just base there opinion on what others say
Old October 28, 2007, 11:40 PM   #16
ConfuseUs

I've never owned a 710 or a 770. I do not need to because I already own a Rem Mod 700 and numerous bolt-action milsurps. I have, however, checked them out at the stores. I have never fired one or dry fired one to try the trigger. I have shouldered them and worked the bolt though, so what I have to say about that is from experience.

The bolt is a PITA to work, all sticky and bindy when you try to slam it forward like you would do for a quick follow up shot. Remington didn't fix that when they renamed it the 770. For all I know it can't be fixed without totally redesigning the rifle. A flaw like that is flat out unacceptable in a rifle, hunting or otherwise IMHO.

For a few bucks more you can buy a new Savage rifle with all the features that the 710 or 770 has, and absolutely none of the bolt problems. I've tried the 710/770 and then walked over to the rack holding the Savage rifles to compare. The difference is like night and day.

The 710/770 boondoggle may get inexpensive hunting rifles into the hands of hunters out there. They'll be happy with them until they run into guys who have better rifles that sold new for a comparable or favorable price to the 710/770. Every time I see a 710/770 in the rack at a gun shop I check the price tag and marvel at the sheer cheekiness of charging more than $70 for one.
Old October 29, 2007, 12:35 AM   #17
Gewehr98

I wonder...

Quote:
I wander how many people bad mouth the 710 or 770 and have never owned one, just base there opinion on what others say
How many times Wolverine350 is going to say that in the Remington 710/770 threads?

(Having myself fired several 710s and finding them all to be POS guns)

Neural Misfires
Old October 30, 2007, 10:19 PM   #18
wolverine350

as many times as you would like for me to say
Old October 30, 2007, 10:20 PM   #19
wolverine350

a remington is a remington so i guess there all a piece of S***
Old October 30, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Davis

The fact that the receiver is just a piece of mild steel is what puts me off to no end. The receiver might be solid, but it is not the quality of any other centerfire receiver on the market. No, it is not the quality. Of course, that is because the bolt locks into the barrel and so the receiver does nothing but hold the bolt steady and provide attaching points for the magazine and fire control group/safety.

It is much cheaper in design than any other bolt action centerfire on the market. Yet it costs more than the Stevens 200 and Mossberg 100ATR. That is my complaint. Entry level? Perhaps, but it is not as well-made as any other entry-level rifle that costs $50 less. For me, the Remington name isn't worth that much.

But, I must confess, the only White tail pro references on google is Remington
ammo.

Davis
Old October 31, 2007, 08:57 AM   #21
Willie D

I didn't buy one because of what I've read online but they were selling for $250 with scope at Cabelas last time I went and I almost took the plunge.

For that price I'd be happy for an accurate beater rifle that I wouldn't care about banging around.
Old October 31, 2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Davis

And you can still get the Stevens 200, which is a true entry-level rifle in that you can upgrade it in the future. The only upgrading that can be done on the 770 is a new scope.

Davis
Old October 31, 2007, 10:14 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, we're ll calm, cool, collected and objective in our thoughts and posts, right?

(Lordy, I'm so full of ****)

Art
Old October 31, 2007, 11:08 PM   #24
Crosshair

Ugh, the 710/770. We sell these things at work. I have taken to calling them "Mallet guns" because you need one to work the bolt. Still sell allot of them. They might as well make them single shot because you are not going to be rapid firing it.