The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2000, 04:36 PM   #1
ctdonath

Just noticed on one of my Mossberg 590's that if I'm not holding the forend when firing, it will move back and almost eject the shell. Isn't this, um, wrong? Suggestions?
Old July 16, 2000, 05:00 PM   #2
hksigwalther

That has occurred to me and a co-worker friend of mine in our 590s. Heavy slug rounds (i.e., heavy recoil) were used and the fore-ends were being held but the bolts unlocked anyway.

IMO, unlocking prematurely is not good. Good chance of a rupture case.

Solution : Don't use excessively heavy loads. Stiffer hold on fore-end.

------------------
- Ron V.
Old July 16, 2000, 05:22 PM   #3
JNewell

It's normal. Chances are good that pressure's low enough by the time the breech opens, but how would you cycle the bolt forward for another shot? Best to leave the hand on the slide.
Old July 16, 2000, 11:25 PM   #4
Badger Arms

Not only is this normal, it's one of the virtues of the Pump action. Firing the gun disconnects the bolt and the inertia of the forend cycles the action. This happens AFTER the pressure has dropped. No safety issues here, just kinetics at work. Proper technique will cycle the gun through the process of holding it right. Virtually no effort is required. This is particularly evident when firing a slam-fire gun such as the Ithaca which seems to fire itself.

Here's the drill. Gun fires... Receiver and Barrel assembly travels to the rear propelled by the recoiling bolt. Carrier, forend, and arms are moving FORWARD at this moment and holding the locking lug securely in the recess. Pressure has dropped to virtually nil by the time barreled action moves forward propelled by shooters arm. At this moment, the unhindered carrier and related parts now move toward the rear at high velocity. In many guns, this is enough to unlock the action and drag the case partially out of the chamber. No problems here.

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited July 17, 2000).]
Old July 17, 2000, 12:24 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

For Mossbergs and Ithacas it's normal.

For my Winchester 1300 it's not. I don't know about other shotguns.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old July 17, 2000, 07:54 PM   #6
JNewell

IIRC, and there's a big risk I'm not, my old 1200 used to unlock and move to the rear when fired without a hand on the slide. Could be wrong 'bout that...
Old July 17, 2000, 11:47 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

JNewell,

You're correct, my reference to my "Winchester 1300" SHOULD have read Winchester 1200.

To tell you the truth, I can't remember if my Smith & Wesson 3000 riot gun does this or not...

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old July 20, 2000, 04:21 PM   #8
ctdonath

Verdict seems to be: normal. Good. Had me concerned for a bit.

FWIW: I was firing normal #8 birdshot, so it wasn't a notably heavy or hot load. I wasn't holding the forend because, it being a pistol-grip-only, I was trying to do skeet as if it were a handgun (which it arguably is).