The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
sea2weed

45 ACP Seater Plugs?

Question for those who have played around with getting the right seating plug for 45 ACP hollow points. I'm trying out some Nosler 185g Custom Competition's with my RCBS die set and neither the standard RN or SWC plugs are ideal for the truncated cone hollow point Nosler which has a wide narrow rim that gets somewhat distorted with either. A quick look in the RCBS catalog shows they also have plugs for the Speer Gold Dot 185 and 230, anyone using these with the desired result? The GD's have a bit more ogive than the Noslers but I'm guessing that as long as I get off the tip it should be better? Last resort is that I could machine out a RN plug to give some relief to the tip but still hit the shoulder. At about $7 each I would rather just buy one but I was wondering if anyone has been here yet?
Old December 13, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I have read about some people drilling the seater then using JB weld to create a custom seater to match a particular bullet profile. I have not used any bullets yet that didn't work with the seater of my die sets.
Old December 13, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
A quick look in the RCBS catalog shows they also have plugs for the Speer Gold Dot 185 and 230, anyone using these with the desired result?
I have both. And yes, I use them with the desired result. They are actually so close in design (that I can see), that you really only need one. I think the 185 is the one I settled on and is in my die right now. I didn't really need the 230 - I just bought them both at the same time.

It seems to work very well for any hollow point I seat with it - not just Speer Gold Dots.

I highly recommend getting one.
Old December 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #4
sea2weed

45 ACP Seater Plugs?

Thanks Nick, just the answer I was hoping for. Got some other stuff I need also so I'll put one of them on my next order.
Old December 13, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5
mmb713

I've sent bullets to RCBS and had them make custom seating stems for them. They work great. That could be your best option if you plan on loading a lot of those bullets. I can't find on their site where to get info about it though. Contact RCBS and they can hook you up.
Old December 13, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

I thought about doing the custom seater plugs from RCBS. I even had the letters all typed up. But I decided to buy the existing Gold Dot plugs to give them a try first. Turns out, they work great and the customs aren't necessary.

I have them for 38/357; 45 ACP; 44 Mag; & 10mm/40 S&W.

I'm sure RCBS would make some fine custom units, but for me, the Gold Dot units work just fine. I've loaded lots of different hollow point profiles with them.