The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Ben Towe

Quote:
I may be among the ill-informed, then. Or maybe I'm just confusing "registration" with "trackability". But when I buy a gun at a gun store, isn't my name then associated with that gun in the dealer's bound book? I agree that's not the same thing as a statewide or nationwide "registration", but it does connect the gun to me, so I can see how someone might want to acquire a gun via a face-to-face private transaction in order to avoid any formal record of ownership.
It does, but it isn't registered to you, which means the government can find out that you bought it perhaps, but not whether you actually still have it, which is a big difference.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I agree that's not the same thing as a statewide or nationwide "registration", but it does connect the gun to me
It can connect the gun to you, but certain steps have to be followed, and only on that particular gun.

Under the current system, if a Glock 19, serial #ABC123 shows up at a crime scene, the ATF can issue a trace request. They'll find that Glock shipped it to Tactical Ninja Gun Supply on January 4th, 2007. They'll call TNGS, who will inform them that they shipped the gun to Joe Bob's Tackle and Gun Shop on January 29th, 2007. The ATF then contacts Joe Bob and asks him to pull the 4473 for that specific gun. Joe Bob goes through his records and finds that he sold it to Bob Periwinkle on February 3rd.

That's the current system. Registration is different. Under a registration scheme, all of Bob Periwinkle's guns would be in a central database, under which an agency could simply pull up his name and find everything he owns.

The current system makes any sort of confiscation scheme very unworkable. A central registry would make it child's play.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:33 PM   #28
2ndsojourn

^^^^ Tom, unless it's purchased in NJ. We have to get a permit from the local PD. A 4-part carbon copy form. The top copy goes to the NJ State Police; the yellow goes to local PD; I get the pink and the seller keeps the yellow. I have to believe that both the state & local PD use that for some sort of registry but I'm not 100% certain.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:46 PM   #29
YankeeSpirit76

I have written to O'reilly numerous times taking him to task for his stand on registration. There is only one reason for registration...confiscation!
Say you go buy an AR today, register it and, tomorrow, you go crazy and shoot up a mall. What exactly did registering it do to prevent that crime?

Both New York and California have talked of confiscation. When all the guns are registered, guess what's going to happen the next time there is a shooting that outrages everyone.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Ben Towe

Quote:
Tom, unless it's purchased in NJ. We have to get a permit from the local PD. A 4-part carbon copy form. The top copy goes to the NJ State Police; the yellow goes to local PD; I get the pink and the seller keeps the yellow. I have to believe that both the state & local PD use that for some sort of registry but I'm not 100% certain.
Not trying answer for Tom, but certain states do indeed have registration but there is none on the Federal level.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:30 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I have to believe that both the state & local PD use that for some sort of registry but I'm not 100% certain.
As Ben mentioned, that's a state-level registry. Whether or not it's constitutional is a matter that's yet to be decided. In the meantime, we really need to work against having something like that on the national level.