The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 25, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Mahmoodrph

New to shotgun hunting and want to learn.

Hello all,

I am a new member. My name is Mahmood and I am a pharmacist. I became interested in shotgun hunting when I was in Pharmacy School. I presently own a very old J.C. Higgins Model 20 12 ga. that I bought at a hock shop almost 10 years ago. It has 3 choke tubes and a kind of compensator.

I love to hunt cotton tail rabbits and doves. I am not a very good shot, but I do know how to clean the piece.

I joined because I want to find out more about shotgunning and I am thinking of purchasing another better shotgun in the future. So far, my preference is pump shotguns.

I am all ears.
Old August 25, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
COYOTE JLR

Welcome bud! Hope you enjoy the site. I really don't know what else to say without having some sort of focus. Do you have any sort of questions that would help us help you?
Old August 26, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
BigJimP

Welcome,

Check out some of the threads discussing Over Unders / what to look for in used guns / hot to check Fit in a shotgun etc - in any number of topics on the forum.

Go to sunrise video - here is a link - there are a number of DVD's on shooting Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays - and the website will give you a little taste of what's involved in shooting "clay targets".

http://www.sunrisevideo.com/

Personally, in Sporting Clays ( which is a little about "hunting" shots, Skeet and Trap shots ) - I like Bobby Fowler Jr's techinique - and the preview video in his video section / gives you a little feel for what he sees in tersm of lead, follow thru, etc to execute his shot on the demo. The real tape goes into more detail on about a dozen or so different types of shots ..

Last edited by BigJimP; August 26, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old August 26, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
41er

new shooter

Get yourself a trap thrower or join a gun club and start shooting! The only way to get good with any gun is to use it. I started shooting when I was around 6 years old but didn't get good at it until I joined the local trap range back in the 70s. After a summer of shooting trap, my skill improved drastically. I think sporting clay ranges are now the rage but starting out, you need to be in a more static environment so you can get used to the gun, the way you hold it, and how you aim. Someone can sure show you the proper way to hold it at the range and from there, it's all you. Good luck and enjoy that old JC Higgins. My first shotgun was a JC Higgins bolt action 12 gauge.
Old August 26, 2009, 06:49 PM   #5
oneounceload

If you go to your local gun club, ask for help and pointers from the folks there. Most will be more than happy to help a new shooter. Once you get started, you'll find that trap, skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays can become very addictive and will provide a lot of good practice for when you go hunting.

Last edited by oneounceload; August 26, 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: stupid thumbs can't type right
Old August 26, 2009, 07:04 PM   #6
inSight-NEO

My advice: Practice, practice and practice some more; Not just firing the weapon, but yielding the shotgun, loading/unloading, quick, precise and safe trigger/safety management and becoming intimately familiar with the "action."

All of this may sound a bit intimidating, but with a bit of time and help/advice from individuals such as those found here, you will be amazed at how quickly these things can "come together."

Welcome aboard!
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; August 26, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old August 27, 2009, 12:09 AM   #7
zippy13

Greetings, Mahmoodrphand welcome aboard.

+ 1 on the previous recommendations, especially BigJimP's and oneounceload's comments.

For some general info, check out Today's Hunter on-line training. They administer mandatory state hunter training courses for half of the country.