The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Confident you will shoot to kill when given 1 second to decide?
Yes -- I have done so against attackers in the past 38 18.18%
Very confident I could do this without hesitation 106 50.72%
Likely I could act without hesitation 52 24.88%
Somewhat worried I would freeze up 13 6.22%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 3, 2010, 05:01 PM   #101
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
I'm sure its not nearly as rough as you make it out to be.... what kind of biker meet shuts down at 6pm???
That's my point. A lot of 'reality' is pretty mundane when you look closely at real-world examples. I truly believe that if only a few of our scenarios came true the TFL membership would go extinct.

But Madison is not the only example. I have heard that Ralph "Sonny" Barger is trying to open an old age home for bikers in Arizona. Time marches on...

Quote:
One other thing, if you really felt that there is such a slim chance of anything bad happening, why do you carry those awesome knives?
I thought you'd never ask! Every edged tool carried by The Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium is available in our gift shop! Would you consider yourself a wealthy man?
Old March 3, 2010, 05:12 PM   #102
BlayGlock

Quote:
"If you are not mentally ready to pull the trigger than you should reconsider carrying a firearm."
/thread.

Lock now please.
Old March 3, 2010, 05:22 PM   #103
The Tourist

Lock it? I disagree.

The can of worms is open, and if we're going to do this, then let's be adults and bring the entire course of study onto the table.

We haven't even touched the aspect of trigger management "during the act" of firing. The events and circumstances of the act itself deserve our research.

Several years ago, Massad Ayoob wrote an article on pistols/hollowpoints and some live fire tests done on beef cows. Upon firing the first shot, the pistol would no longer function. A section of brain matter had splattered back and tied up his weapon.

If we're going to do a scenario, then let's do a real scenario.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:10 AM   #104
N.H. Yankee

I think it all boils down to a persons mental ability to focus on survival and not oh my I don't want to hurt someone. There are those who think just the mere presence of a firearm will protect them from all evil, NOT!

I tell people who ask me about buying or using a weapon for protection and I respond that they need to be sure they have the mental capability to pull the rigger with the intent of lethal force. usually I ask if they ever hunted or what their views are on killing game and if they respond in any negative way thats an indication they most likely won't pull the trigger when in a time of dire circumstances. Another personality I am suspect of is the MACHO man, they are either putting up a front or they are too eager, which makes them just as dangerous as the homicidal criminal.

Some people have military training but that's still not a sure fire indication they will use lethal force. There have been many cases of soldiers freezing, a person has to train to be mentally conditioned to react, and not everyone has the fortitude to take another life. Some would actually rather face death than have to live with the fact they killed someone even in the face of bodily injury.

Having been in this situation personally I can say it isn't easy to make the decision to shoot, but one must also remember WHO brought this to the table. I feel it is my responsibility to protect myself and family and others in the face of lethal aggression. Not reacting defensively only empowers the perp, and if the perp finds it that easy to injure or kill you then they will most likely do it again.
Old March 4, 2010, 09:40 AM   #105
pax

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread

Tags
born to be mild , old guy rants