The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Uncle Ben

Rules For Gun Safety

I thought posting this would be worthwhile, even though many of us know these rules by heart, I think none of us can review them too often (I re-read them regularly)...might make a good sticky.

This text was written by Jeff Cooper. I like his direct and "no nonsense" approach to firearms and teaching.

--
RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it; e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.
All guns are always loaded - period!

This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
Conspicuously and continuously violated, especially with pistols, Rule II applies whether you are involved in range practice, daily carry, or examination. If the weapon is assembled and in someone's hands, it is capable of being discharged. A firearm holstered properly, lying on a table, or placed in a scabbard is of no danger to anyone. Only when handled is there a need for concern. This rule applies to fighting as well as to daily handling. If you are not willing to take a human life, do not cover a person with the muzzle. This rule also applies to your own person. Do not allow the muzzle to cover your extremities, e.g. using both hands to reholster the pistol. This practice is unsound, both procedurally and tactically. You may need a free hand for something important. Proper holster design should provide for one-handed holstering, so avoid holsters which collapse after withdrawing the pistol. (Note: It is dangerous to push the muzzle against the inside edge of the holster nearest the body to "open" it since this results in your pointing the pistol at your midsection.) Dry-practice in the home is a worthwhile habit and it will result in more deeply programmed reflexes. Most of the reflexes involved in the Modern Technique do not require that a shot be fired. Particular procedures for dry-firing in the home will be covered later. Let it suffice for now that you do not dry-fire using a "target" that you wish not to see destroyed. (Recall RULE I as well.)

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
Rule III is violated most anytime the uneducated person handles a firearm. Whether on TV, in the theaters, or at the range, people seem fascinated with having their finger on the trigger. Never stand or walk around with your finger on the trigger. It is unprofessional, dangerous, and, perhaps most damaging to the psyche, it is klutzy looking. Never fire a shot unless the sights are superimposed on the target and you have made a conscious decision to fire. Firing an unaligned pistol in a fight gains nothing. If you believe that the defensive pistol is only an intimidation tool - not something to be used - carry blanks, or better yet, reevaluate having one around. If you are going to launch a projectile, it had best be directed purposely. Danger abounds if you allow your finger to dawdle inside the trigger guard. As soon as the sights leave the target, the trigger-finger leaves the trigger and straightens alongside the frame. Since the hand normally prefers to work as a unit - as in grasping - separating the function of the trigger-finger from the rest of the hand takes effort. The five-finger grasp is a deeply programmed reflex. Under sufficient stress, and with the finger already placed on the trigger, an unexpected movement, misstep or surprise could result in a negligent discharge. Speed cannot be gained from such a premature placement of the trigger-finger. Bringing the sights to bear on the target, whether from the holster or the Guard Position, takes more time than that required for moving the trigger finger an inch or so to the trigger.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified. Be aware of your surroundings, whether on the range or in a fight. Do not assume anything. Know what you are doing.

SUMMARY
Make these rules a part of your character. Never compromise them. Improper gunhandling results from ignorance and improper role modeling, such as handling your gun like your favorite actor does. Education can cure this. You can make a difference by following these gunhandling rules and insisting that those around you do the same. Set the example. Who knows what tragedies you, or someone you influence, may prevent?
Old February 11, 2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Pahoo

Hunter Safety Instructor Here ..
I teach and preach these rules during our class except that in priority, I have switched I & II. I also challenge the students to hold all instructors accountable to these four rules. I mostly teach the M/L station but often switch between this and the rifle station. At our last class, three students came back to me and reported that the guys at the shotgun station were in violation. I sure got a kick out of this and it was reported in a constructive way and even had a follow-up class for "All" instructors. It really works. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 11, 2010, 05:35 PM   #3
LordofWar

Since you started from Rule 1 I'd humbly add Rule 0.

ALWAYS CARRY A GUN IF YOU OWN ONE.
Old February 11, 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Dwight55

Quote:
Since you started from Rule 1 I'd humbly add Rule 0.

ALWAYS CARRY A GUN IF YOU OWN ONE.
My sentiments, exactly. It got a few snickers earlier today, . . . in a holster making class, . . . when one of my students asked about my holster.

I turned my back, . . . withdrew, . . . dropped the mag, . . . ejected the chambered round, . . . dropped the weapon in a bag, . . . pulled off the holster and handed it to the student. They all thought it was pretty funny that their CCW holster instructor was packing.

It is the only place I have ever had a real, . . . real hard time with gun safety and the 4 rules. With 1 instructor and 7 students, . . . there are 8 weapons on the table all the time (sometimes more). It is really tough to keep the muzzle direction non threatening when all 8 folks are surrounding a 3 x 6 table.

My compromise is that I personally inspect each weapon before class, and no ammo is allowed except what I am personally carrying.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 12, 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Pahoo

Quote:
It is really tough to keep the muzzle direction non threatening when all 8 folks are surrounding a 3 x 6 table.
There are definitely times when this is a challenge but how about explaining the muzzle control and then start loading a MuzzleLoader. Even under these conditions, there are ways to safely address this. Sad to say that there are folks on this forum who have been seriously injured, while loading his M/L. I believe these rules have to be a way of life and not just some teaching point.

Be Safe !!!
Old February 12, 2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Dannyl

If I may, here's one that I add (and obey)

"When handing over, or receiving a firearm, check it to ensure that it is not loaded"
Essentially this means that if I ask to see a gun in a shop etc, the first thing I do when I get it is to check it. When I take a gun out of the safe I check it etc. (I do not keep guns with a round in the chamber when they are in the safe, but nevertheless I check them)

This is actually the first rule you are tought in the IDF.

This effectively eliminates the " I was sure it was not loaded" factor.

Brgds,

Danny
Old February 12, 2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Uncle Ben

Good addition Danny, though I do think it falls under rule 1, it still is more than worthy of being added to the explanation of the rule.

If you check whether a gun is loaded, put it down on a table, then pick it up again...you should check it again because it has left your hands since you last checked it.

If someone hands you a firearm and says to you, "I checked it, it is not loaded", you are still the one holding the firearm (and therefore, the responsibility), so you should check it again yourself.

As you said, the main objective to rule 1 is that no one EVER have a chance to defensively say "I didn't know it was loaded", which I'm sure we'll all agree is a completely invalid excuse for negligent behavior.
Old February 12, 2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Evan Thomas

Excellent addition, Danny.

If I ask to see something in a gun shop, and the clerk doesn't open the action and check before handing it to me, I'm... well... not going to have much confidence in anything they tell me, after that.
Old February 12, 2010, 01:33 PM   #9
pax

An important addenda: merely checking the gun does not erase Rule One. Even when you "know" it is unloaded (because you checked!), you should still treat the firearm with the cautious respect you'd give it if you knew for sure it was loaded and would fire if the trigger were pulled.

In other words, the primary meaning of Rule One is that the other rules always apply.

pax
Old February 12, 2010, 02:33 PM   #10
jhenry

I live in a rather rural portion of the Ozarks. 20 minutes south and there ain't nothin BUT rural. For many years I shot off hand muzzleloader competition every Saturday at 3PM. Great group of guys, and many fond memories. Rain or shine, winter and summer. The founder of the feast, as it were, is still a friend of mine. He was the rangemaster, although he never used that term. The man never spelled a word the same twice, said it was a small minded man who could spell a word only one way. Anyway, his instructions on the range were always the same. "Don't do anything that gets anybody shot, and if you have to shoot someone, well then, shoot yourself".

We never had a single problem except for a girl who was back there after a shoot with her husband trying out a .45 percussion singleshot pistol and plugged herself right straight down through her right big toenail. We called her Hoppy, but she cried so we stopped and appologized. (This was after recovery of course). She was very pretty, and that little hitch in her get along made her walk just a little more enjoyable.

Good times, good times.

Anyhow, keep them pointed in a safe direction.
Old February 12, 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Shawn Dodson

Quote:
RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
I frequently point actual firearms at others and others point actual firearms at me during training. The firearms are unloaded. Those of us who train at this level are engaging in consensual training. "All guns are always loaded" is simplistic, not a true statement and does not apply. The purpose of this kind of training is to desensitize ourselves to pointing an actual firearm at someone (deeply ingrained by Rule 1) who might be or is a deadly danger and to desensitize ourselves to the psychological discomfort of having an actual firearm pointed at us so we can learn to function effectively in the face of deadly danger.

Quote:
RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
My reply to Rule I applies here too.

Quote:
RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
I prefer Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have made the decision to shoot. I may have my sights on a live, human target in a defense situation. That target may or may not required shooting. Until I decide I need to shoot it my finger stays off the trigger.

Cheers!

Last edited by Shawn Dodson; February 12, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old February 12, 2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Pahoo

pax + 1

pax + 1
No I, still addresses this and while we are at it, I have seen the 7, 10, 11 and even 14 Commandments of safe gun handling. The listed four really says it all and you can remember four easier than fourteen, or at least I can. If you think about it, there is only one that if followed religiously, there is no problem and that is muzzle control or No. II. During our classes, I hand out a card that has these four listed, for the students to take home and look at it one more time before they throw it away.

Be Safe !!!
Old February 12, 2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
...In other words, the primary meaning of Rule One is that the other rules always apply.
And the appropriate response when asked about an unintentional discharge is never, "I didn't think it was loaded." If it's a gun, it's loaded; and one conducts him/herself accordingly.
Old February 12, 2010, 03:02 PM   #14
Shawn Dodson

"The most dangerous gun is an 'unloaded' gun." -- unknown
Old February 12, 2010, 04:42 PM   #15
DRice.72

I have personal experience with how well these rules support one another. When I was shooting a double action revolver for the first time. I took the first shot then said something to my friend who was standing behind me. I had failed to follow rule number three. As I was talking and NOT paying attention a ND occurred. I was following Rule one and two however, the gun was loaded, and the muzzle pointed in at an object that could be shot. It was a huge wake-up call for me. I realized at that instant that had I not been pointing that revolver down range a person could have been seriously injured or killed. I have never forgotten that day, and I hope I never do.
Old February 12, 2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Suwannee Tim

I disagree with rule number one. My rule number one is "Practice gun safety always." Though I agree with Uncle Ben in spirit, his rule number one, "ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED" is simply not true. I can unload a gun and it is unloaded. To say otherwise is nonsense. It is still nonsense even if the statement is well intentioned. I explain to folks that guns should be safely handled at all times, even when unloaded. There are many reasons, some of which are: Poor gun handling undermines good habits. You can be mistaken as to whether or not a gun is unloaded. Many people will be offended, often hotly so if you point a gun at them, even if it is unloaded. If it is loaded they will beat your butt or worse. There are other reasons but these make the point. I want everything I say about gun safety to make sense and be true which is why my rule number one is different from Uncle Ben's. The point is semantic but words mean things.

One thing that bothers me is the "Ten rules of gun safety" or "Fourteen rules of gun safety" or "Umpteen rules of gun safety." Show me someone with ten highest priorities and I'll show you someone with no priorities. Ask a student to recite to you the fourteen rules of gun safety and you have lost a convert.

I like to add one assumption to my rules, that is "You will always fire one more accidental shot." I don't really believe that I will fire another accidental shot in the remaining five or six decades I have left in me but I behave as though I will.

Last edited by Suwannee Tim; February 12, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old February 12, 2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Uncle Ben

Pax, after seeing your post I was reminded to do some more reading on your site again. I always enjoy it.

I hope you don't mind me quoting from your site where you sum up Rule #1 perfectly:

"Rule One means that you never do anything with an allegedly unloaded gun that you would not do with it if you knew it was loaded. This is the cardinal rule, and all others follow naturally from it."

http://www.corneredcat.com/GunCare/cleaning4rules.aspx
Old February 12, 2010, 04:59 PM   #18
Suwannee Tim

I have noticed too that many people do not begin to internalize the importance of practicing gun safety diligently and all the time until they have an accidental discharge. It was so in my case, my buddy as well, unfortunately, his AD killed a man. I always stress the importance of safe behavior as a means of preventing even the first AD.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:02 PM   #19
dmazur

Rule #1 applies at all times...except when it is no longer a gun because it is disassembled.

The problem arises in how to transition from a functional gun (which is always loaded) to a pile of parts.

The way I do it is to simply perform a thorough check for loaded status each and every time I pick up a gun. If it is one I'm carrying, I expect it to be loaded. If it was in storage, I expect it to be unloaded. Nevertheless, it gets a status check.

If the next thing in the task list is a field-strip, I proceed immediately from that check/unload task to the tear down. If I get interrupted by something, even something as simple as a phone call, I start over with the status check.

This isn't intended to be a critical crack from a peanut gallery...instead it is just an attempt to address a real-world problem. Namely, if you follow the Four Rules implicitly, how do you ever tear one down for cleaning/repairs?
Old February 12, 2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazur
...The problem arises in how to transition from a functional gun (which is always loaded) to a pile of parts...
Okay --

[1] All guns are always loaded.

[2] You have a gun in your hand. Since all guns are always loaded, it's loaded. And you conduct yourself accordingly.

[3] What do you do with a loaded gun that you want to clean? You clear it. So you clear it and begin to disassemble it for cleaning.

[4] But what if between the time you clear it and would then begin to disassemble it, you're distracted?

[5] Now the distraction has been dealt with and you're ready to proceed. But now the gun has been out of your control for a time (however brief). So under Rule 1, it's a loaded gun and you act accordingly.

[6] What do you do with a loaded gun that you want to clean? You clear it and begin to disassemble it for cleaning.

Does that help?

Sure it may seem a bit overly formalistic. But by teaching it thus one can help build good habits.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:53 PM   #21
pax

Quote:
[6] What do you do with a loaded gun that you want to clean? You clear it and begin to disassemble it for cleaning.
Yup.

And if part of the disassembly procedure involves putting your finger on the trigger, you follow Rule Two and do not lose track of your muzzle direction while you do it. You also follow Rule Three and do not place your finger on the trigger until -- following Rule Four -- you have deliberately selected a "target," that is, a deliberately chosen aimpoint which is an acceptable place for the bullet to land, and which will safely prevent the bullet from traveling any further.

What bullet? See Rule One...

pax
Old February 12, 2010, 11:25 PM   #22
dmazur

See, that's where I just can't follow down that path blindly.

Once it's been cleared (and I don't mean a cursory "pull the slide back"), and it has not been put down or otherwise out of your control, the next thing you do is disassemble it.

There should be no unnecessary caution about trigger, muzzle, or anything else. This is a tool, and it isn't capable of loading itself by magic.

You should follow all manufacturer's cautions, such as not pointing spring-loaded objects at your eyes during disassembly. Disassembling guns isn't always a simple task, and one often needs full concentration to do it correctly (and safely.)

Please don't misunderstand my point. I'm all for applying the appropriate safety measures for a given set of circumstances. I just believe that the Four Rules didn't cover gun maintenance. The implication is that it's OK to proceed to maintenance once you personally have verified the gun is unloaded, but there's a lot of misunderstanding about this.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:33 PM   #23
pax

dmazr,

I have on my computer a huge file of mishaps with firearms, reported on TFL, THR, and other firearms forums by people who really ought to have known better.

In the vast majority of those cases, no real harm resulted, although a few people have lost fingers, hand function, or significant amounts of blood because they shot themselves.

Hmmmm, let me provide a few links:

"After dropping the magazine I racked the slide to empty the chamber. I THOUGHT the round fell down the mag well and onto the floor. I was wrong." http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=114982

"There was no mag in the Kahr so I rack the slide, look in the chamber, slide forward, hammer down, BOOM!! Guess I didn't look close enough." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=114287 post #42

This one is an accident that never happened, thanks to good safety habits. A shopper was looking at a revolver, a pinned and recessed S&W Model 66, in a pawn shop. "After drooling over it, I asked if I could dry fire it. The owner said, without any hesitation, 'Of course.' ... When I swung open that cylinder to look if it was unloaded, I had six live rounds staring back at me! You can usually tell when a revolver is loaded by looking at it from the side, but these buggers where well hidden. I've never handled a recessed revolver until today, but I've handled so many guns at gun stores and pawn shops (never once was one loaded) that I didn't give it a moments thought. I was less than 2 seconds away from putting a .357 caliber hole in that man's display case." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279035

"At home today, had the Beretta 21A out to check the trigger.... I tipped the barrel up and removed the cartridge, laid the cartridge off to the side. I left the magazine in the gun. Went back and forth trying to get a subjective feel for the trigger a few times, made some notes. I tipped the barrel up and put the cartridge back in the chamber. So I made some notes and then forgot that I loaded the gun...I picked up the gun, cocked it, and pulled the trigger." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=165697

"I wanted to unload the gun to put it in the safe. Took the magazine out and racked the slide to extract the last round. I tried to dry fire it to release the hammer. Of course the stupid magazine safety didn't let me do that, so I put the magazine back in. I have no idea why I racked the slide again, but I did. I suppose it was a reflex action after putting a magazine in the pistol. I pulled the trigger and fired a round into a bench and the blade of nice hunting/camping hatchet I had since I was 10 years old." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=340242 post #40

"I went into the bedroom to clear my .380 nightstand gun. I have shot IPSC and other competitions for years so clearing is second nature I thought. I racked the slide, ejected the round, looked down the chamber and saw it was empty, dropped the slide, then dropped the mag. Yep, I should have dropped the mag first. Well, I pointed in a safe direction (the bed) and dropped the hammer, Bamm! This wouldn't have been too bad except it was a water bed upstairs. I think it wont be bad because the .380 isnt that powerfull and with the quilt, sheets etc it will never make it though the water. WRONG! It went through all including the bed liner, on though the wood, and into the built in drawers. What a mess, had to bail out the bed, had a drawer full of water and cloths etc. Kind of funny now, but it sure wasnt then. It took hours of cleaning up." http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=191417&page=3 post #55

My point remains. After you unload it, after you check that it's unloaded -- STILL treat it with cautious respect, STILL watch your muzzle direction, and STILL refuse to put your finger on the trigger unless and until you have chosen a target with a backstop. You do this because you are human, and make mistakes. You don't put all your eggs in the "but I checked it!" basket. You treat the firearm with respect, even if you "know" it's unloaded.

The life you save could be your own. Or your child's. Or your wife's...

pax
Old February 12, 2010, 11:43 PM   #24
pax

More ...

"Dropped the mag, racked the slide and let it go home. Unloaded now, right? Pointed it at the far wall of the living room and pulled the trigger. KABOOM! ... What I failed to do was physically check the chamber. The gun had always been a jam-o-matic, a round stuck in the chamber and a weak extractor left it there." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=114287 post #30

"Was doing some trigger work on a revolver and wanted to see how the result compared to another identical revolver I had worked on earlier. I retrieved it and unloaded it by opening the cylinder and letting the rounds drop out. One stuck in the cylinder and didn't fall out. I didn't check carefully enough to see it. Shot the dining room table and phone book and permanently damaged my hearing." http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=168305 post #13

"I gravity dumped the rounds from a revolver (without using the ejector) and pocketed the rounds without counting them and proceeded to dry fire. Needless to say I found out to my surprise a round had stuck in the cylinder." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=165697 post #37

"I just pulled the trigger on my Sig Sauer P239. I dropped the magazine, but I didn't check the chamber. I know better, you know better, but nevertheless, it happened. I'm so ashamed." http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=340242

"I had finished cleaning and reassembling my pistol, performed a function check and loaded the pistol. Dropped my mag to insert my 'Barney Round' to top off the mag and got called over to settle an argument over a football game. We talked for a while and I went back to my pistol, the mag is on the table and the gun is sitting next to it assembled ... being the fool my darling wife married I picked up the pistol and pulled the trigger as if I were performing a function check. BANG!!!" http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=56979 post #8

"There were 7 of us in the room. We were all chatting and cleaning guns, and I wasn't paying too much attention to what I was doing. BIG MISTAKE... I reassembled my pistol, locked the slide back, and while distracted, inserted an 'empty' magazine (which was of course loaded with 115 gr. black talons) I thumbed the slide release and let it fly forward. Then I made my fateful mistake. Instead of using the drop hammer safety, I squeezed the trigger and let the hammer drop while the barrel was pressed firmly into the palm/wrist of my (then dominant) right hand." http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=93660 post # 24

"My girlfriend was watching TV. Some mindless show about potential playboy bunnies. I had found the old Remington manual because I wanted to see if it could be safely dry-fired without damaging my firing-pin. I stood up and picked up the 870. I was not thinking. No, I was not under the influence of anything. I carelessly shouldered the shotgun, and without thinking pulled the trigger and put buckshot through my TV, through the wall behind it. Glass everywhere. The smoke alarms went off. Nobody thank God, got hurt. My GF is okay, surprisingly calm after all the chaos. After the initial shock and requisite clean-up, we both sat down and looked at each other. I cried like a baby. I cried so much it hurt to breathe. The thoughts of worse outcomes kept flashing through my head....I could've seriously injured or killed my best friend, I could've hurt or killed myself. I coulda damaged my home even more. Luckily the buckshot missed the piping behind the wall, but there was ricocheted glass/plastic/lead everywhere. The TV can be replaced, the plaster can be patched, but I will never again forget to triple-check." http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=112882

"I was at home cleaning my revolver.... After disassembling and cleaning my gun, I aimed the weapon down to my side and function fired before loading the cylinder. ... Then the doorbell rang whereby I received a package. I returned to my room and recalled that all that was remaining was to function fire the gun, load it and holster it. Yes, I completely forgot that I already did that step. Fortunately, the 357 round missed my right foot by a few inches as it penetrated the wooden sub-floor. I became quite sick afterwards, as I couldn’t believe what I did. I shared my experience with my partner as he then admitted to a similar account. In his case, he too cleaned his weapon and became distracted during the final step. Except; in his case, he took aim on a goldfish in his 150-gallon aquarium!" http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...charges-2.html post #36

pax
Old February 13, 2010, 12:09 AM   #25
dmazur

pax -

I am most definitely not saying I do not subscribe to the Four Rules. In fact, I follow them with a fervor.

I also don't go about maintenance haphazardly, or perform half-hearted attempts at checking status of a gun.

What I am trying to relate is, after you have performed a proper check/unload (following the Four Rules...it's not disassembled yet), you may then proceed to disassembly. I define proper by many things, including adequate light, not doing it when you're exhausted, etc. And if I can't meet the conditions, I do it another time.

Disassembled, it is an inert pile of parts. I have no trouble inspecting bores of bolt-action rifles with bolts removed, or cleaning a barrel from a 1911 when it is separated from it's slide. Muzzle control? Not necessary.

However, as soon as it is reassembled, it becomes potentially dangerous once more and the Four Rules become effective.

Many things in life require a certain amount of discipline to be performed safely. I believe gun maintenance is one of these.

As your incidents relate, there are many people who just aren't up to the discipline required.

Most manufacturer's manuals simply state something like (from a Ruger manual),

1. Keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction! Open the underlever and put the safety in the Safe position.
2. Check to be certain that the chamber is empty!
3. Study the drawing below and those on pages 9 and 20. Use a screwdriver whose tip correctly fits the screw slot...

I see Rule Two referenced before the manual gets into Rule One, or perhaps they simply overlap in this case. However, once you've verified it is empty, off you go! There is no reference to keeping your finger off the trigger, or being sure of targets. It's gun maintenance, not shooting.

I believe gun handling safety is an important and commendable goal. However, trying to apply all of the Rules to maintenance is kind of like forcing a square peg in a round hole.