The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2006, 08:57 AM   #1
gosmokeless

Neophyte Handloader

I would like to load up some .270 rounds as a hobby. I have no experience with loading rifle ammunition. How do I begin?
Old June 3, 2006, 09:44 AM   #2
dodgestdshift

Get a good reloading manual (Speer #13 is good) and read it. When you have read the reloading sections (not the loads sections) you can begin to acquire reloading equipment. If you decide not to do it I (I don't know why you would) you are only out the price of the manual.

Don N.
Old June 3, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Donaldo

+1 to dodgestdshift.

Go to the library or Barnes and Noble or wherever and get some books about the reloading process. Learn a little about the history, read a lot about the process. Then after you've read a bunch try to talk to some handloaders in person, maybe see if they'll let you load a few rounds and show you the ropes next time they load a batch.

Also, before you begin, and you have a good idea of whats going to happen when you start, develop some safety and quality control practices. I personaly move rounds from a loading block on my left to a loading block on my right after I charge them. I also weigh every charge, and check OAL after seating every bullet. Ask around, find what others do.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old June 3, 2006, 10:49 AM   #4
amamnn

reloading 101

there is a very good book that every beginner should read--"Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee---You should be able to order a copy from Midsouth Shooter's supply, Graf and sons, or Midway USA. I own the current version along with the current versions of the Speer, Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra Manuals. All of them are fine books, but mainly are written to give you load info for their bullets. The Lee book covers more of the reloading theory and process.
Old June 3, 2006, 11:52 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

Yeah, you are going to need to read a loading manual first.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=480380

Lee throws in a press with the loading manual for a big fat total of $25. It ain't the best of presses, but it's good enough so it would be a shame to miss the chance to pick one up nearly free. I've had one around as long as Lee has been selling them to do piddly jobs on.
Old June 3, 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

Starting reloading

Gosmokeless--The reccommendations above are all good. However there is one book that has not been mentioned, which IMHO is THE primer on handloading. This is The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing Co. www.krause.com It is an excellent introduction to all phases of reloading; goes into more depth than a loading manual. Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order from the publisher. Belongs on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed.

You'll still need a reloading manual; more than one is preferable for comparisons' sake. One of my go-to's is Lyman's 48th edition.

Simplest way to reload is with a Lee Loader, a simple reloading kit which uses minimal equipment and costs very little. Primitive, but it works. A lot of us started out on the Lee Loader. All you need besides the kit itself, is a mallet, some fired brass, bullets, a can of powder, and a box of primers.

But pop for the ABC's even so.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 4, 2006, 05:09 PM   #7
scgunsmith

this is a partial list of what I have

Ransom Pistol rest with S&W and 1911 Inserts like new
350.00 plus shipping

Lyman 500 scale 25.00

lee scale 15.00

lee o-ring press 24.00

lee powder dispensor 12.00

lee 3 hole turret press with 2 auto disk chargers, 3 primer attachments 3 extra shell plates for the turret 95.00.

lyman turbo tumbler with two size media baskets 30.00

lyman 6 hole turret topped single stage press with primer attachment

lee 223 dies 12.00
lee 30-06 die 12.00
lee 45acp dies 12.00
lee 44 mag dies 12.00
rcbs carbide 357/38 35.00
lyman 3 die set 30 carbine 15.00
rcbs 270 dies 14.00
rcbs steel 357/38 14.00

200- 303 150 grain hornady tips 30.00
148 grain semi wad cutter 357/38 hard cast 7.00 per 100
180 rnl hard cast 35 caliber 10.00 per 100

(4 sets) lyman mold handles 20.00 each
36 caliber round ball lyman mold with handles 35.00(single cavaty)

308 brass
270 brass
30-06 brass
357 brass
38 spl brass
380 brass
45acp brass
30-30 brass
380 brass
9mm brass
32acp brass

all brass 5.00 per hundred all once fired