The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2005, 04:31 PM   #1
BigSlick

Portable/Hand held deprime setup ?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a convenient, hand held deprime solution ? One that's fairly quick would be nice. I just came into about 800 30-06 brass and would like to deprime and prep them while sitting on my butt on the patio.

I know, I could do them on the Rock Chucker but I don't really want to move the bench or make a new mount for the press.

I know Lee and RCBS make hand priming tools, I was hoping some of you may have a easy solution to a down and dirty (hopefully relatively quick) depriming.

Any thoughts ?

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old July 20, 2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

The Lee Loader uses a punch that is a slide fit in the case neck. Case sits on a hollow base while you tap the punch. I have improvised similar with a handy punch and a 3/8" nut.
Old July 20, 2005, 06:14 PM   #3
BigSlick

Have any of you guys seen/used anything like these ?

Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old July 20, 2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Yes, I use a handheld decapper to get my black powder brass into soak at the range. But I don't know if they make them in .30 cal.

A friend uses the Lee Hand Press and a universal decapping die for the job. It's bulkier than the Pope tool but it gets the job done... and traps the primers in the ram. You just take off the shellholder every once in a while and dump them in the trash.
Old July 22, 2005, 12:07 AM   #5
saands

The Lee Hand Press would be my recommendation ... not only is it VERY cost effective, but it could double as a real press if you want to do some load development at the range or on a trip. We all bring ours when we go varminting and each night we just sit around for a few minutes and (thanks to the collet resizing dies that don't need lube) reloading the next days ammo is a snap. The whole reloading kit (scale, powder dispenser, press, tray, calipers, priming tool, and dies) and supplies for two or three calibers fits easily into a small duffle bag.

Saands