The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 7, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
jcsturgeon

Venting

On Armslist, a fella here in Colorado Springs had a NIB Colt 1911 he was offering for $800. I offered him $750. He accepted the price, and we made arrangements to meet on Friday (I work 4 x 10 so I can't get to the bank during the week). He specifically said he would hold it until Friday if I committed to buying his gun. This guy e-mails me today and says "Sorry, someone offered me $850 and I had to take it." I didn't even get the chance to match his offer!

Anyway, I'm pretty steamed about it. I think when you make a deal, you need to stick to it. Even then I still would have matched the $850 but I didn't get a chance to.

Damn.
Old March 7, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
TXAZ

Regrets JC,
Guess the virtual equivalent of a handshake deal isn't what it used to be.
Had the same thing happen to us on a home recently through a realtor...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 8, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3
Hansam

Perhaps he had a change of heart and decided he didn't want to sell the gun for the agreed price. In doing so many people nowadays do not have the integrity to simply call and say, "I'm sorry I've decided I can't/won't sell it for that amount." Instead they make up a story that someone offered them more than what they were asking and they just HAD to take the offer. It happens all too often in today's society.

In fact I had something similar happen to me this past weekend. I ran into an acquaintance of mine who was selling a used handgun at a small gun show. We chatted jovially and then I asked what he was selling. He showed me and told me he wanted $450. I consulted my Bluebook for Gun Values and determined that in the condition the handgun was in it wasn't worth $450 considering they sold NIB for $400. It was about 75% and according to the book was worth about $335. Seeing as he was an acquaintance and not wanting to stick it to him I offered him $400 which I thought was fair. He quandered a bit then agreed to it. I told him I wasn't carrying the cash on me and I'd have to run to the bank to withdraw the funds. He stated he'd meet me at his home where I could pay for the gun and take possession of it.

So I ran to the bank (a 20 minute drive to my bank) withdraw the money and as I am pulling out of my bank's parking lot I see him driving by. I then decide to call him to let him know I can meet him in 5 min by his place. No answer on his phone. I drove to his home and he isn't there. I call again - no answer. I waited by his home for 30 min before calling yet again. Again no answer. I then drove home and waited a few hours figuring perhaps he was busy. I then called him again and there was no answer. At this point I was concerned that something may have happened so I drove back to his house. Bear in mind that its a 40 minute drive between his house and mine. I arrived and he was sitting on his front porch. As I exited my truck he took note of me and rushed into his home. Afterward he locked his door and refused to come speak with me. At that I returned home confused as to what was going on.

Fast forward till this morning when I ran into his wife at the supermarket. She was kind enough to inform me that her husband had changed his mind and didn't want to sell his gun for $400 - he wanted to hold out for $450. All I could do was shake my head, let out a sigh and thank her for her time in telling me this.

At least YOU got a phone call with a phony story.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Pahoo

Happens all too often, these days.

Quote:
Guess the virtual equivalent of a handshake deal isn't what it used to be.
On a recent purchase and I was aware that there were others who were interested. I still had some question whether the seller understood that we had a deal. My last words to him were; Do we have a handshake in this deal?
His response was that the package had my name and address and was ready to ship. .....

You know, that is about as good as one can do. Things like this happen all the time and I've had a few bad dealings like this, on this forum. ...
That is why I don't participate in any postings that indicate an auction. It's expected on GB but not in here. ..... JMHO ....

Use to be that a man's word was worth it's weight, in gold and now it's too much of, money talks and BS walks.

Be Safe !!!
Old March 9, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
mitchntx

One of the hard facts of "deal-making" today is that it's all unseen.

If I'm buying, I really haven't seen the merchandise not have I seen the person selling it.

Likewise, if I'm selling, I haven't seen the buyer nore if he has the stack of cash I'm demanding.

There is that awkward few days of limbo where the buyer has sent payment and nothing in hand to show for it.

Likewise, there is that awkward few days of limbo where the seller is wondering if the check will be any good or if the buyer had a change of heart and I'm missing legit buyers.

It's the new biz ...
Old March 10, 2012, 07:46 AM   #6
jcsturgeon

It's a little off topic, but in the same vein...

It's sad how no one will accept a check anymore. I remember, just a few years ago in college I'd write checks for pizza all the time. I don't think there's one pizza place in the country who takes a check now.

Kinda shows how unreliable people are anymore.
Old March 10, 2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Zhillsauditor

I just had a similar thing happen to me. Some chiseler was selling a Marlin 39a at a very good price, and I jumped on it, minutes after he posted. He emails me and says its mine and he needs an FFL to send it to and shipping would be $25. So, I drive over to the local pawn shop and pay the transfer fee of $25, get a copy of the FFL, scan it and email it to him, asking for payment instructions. No answer for a day, during which I go get a PO M/O. 30 hours after he told me its mine, he gives me some cock-n-bull story about how he had it listed elsewhere and someone had an earlier time stamp.

The deal was so good, I'm not surprised he reneg on me, but I'm out the transfer fee, that I may be able to whedle out of the pawn shop guy, not to mention all the time it takes to get the thing and then go plead for my money back.

The kicker is that it took him 30 hours to respond to my email asking him for an address to send payment, but took him 5 minutes to respond to my post calling him a bad dealer and refusing to reimburse me for his error. Piece of garbage.
Old March 10, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
jimmythegeek

I lost out

I'd been looking for a sale on Marlin 795s when a stainless steel version shows up on a local gun website. I post an "I'll take it!" Then look and look and look for a response. Then I head home, which takes a while. When I get there after dinner and putting the kids to bed I find I have two messages, one "Give me a call" and another "Sold pending ftf"

Dibs don't mean nothing.
Old March 10, 2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Don P

As with most folks money talks and BS walks. Bird in the hand worth 2 in the bush
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 11, 2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
As with most folks money talks and BS walks. Bird in the hand worth 2 in the bush
The BS is telling someone that they bought a gun and then chiseling out of the deal. Its both unethical and against the UCC. So, who ever does it is someone who has no ethics or honor.
Old March 11, 2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Don P

Quote:
The BS is telling someone that they bought a gun and then chiseling out of the deal. Its both unethical and against the UCC. So, who ever does it is someone who has no ethics or honor.
So I guess the gentleman that wanted to buy all my Mosin-Nagant ammo pouches and then back out of the deal is unethical and has no honor?

Give me a break. Just like when I was selling my P/U truck, I want the truck, I'll be back tomorrow with the money, yeh right. Give me a $20 bill to show me your serious but no I'll be back tomorrow and guess what I'm still waiting a year and a half later for him to come back and buy the truck that I sold to the next person who showed up.
Old March 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Slamfire

Quote:
Anyway, I'm pretty steamed about it. I think when you make a deal, you need to stick to it. Even then I still would have matched the $850 but I didn't get a chance to
A contract requires offer, acceptance and consideration. You did not get to the consideration part and the seller owes it to himself to get the most out of any transaction. He would have lost $100 if he completed the sale to you and if he waited, there was the risk you might have backed out.

Early bird gets the worm.
Old March 11, 2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Edward429451

Hey, honor used to mean something. Do I expect people to have honor? Of course not. We still need to strive to walk with honor though ourselves though. Sorry you got bumped for your 45. In this economy stuff like that is to be expected.

Shoulda give half down maybe to close the deal.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
A contract requires offer, acceptance and consideration.
The consideration (money) doesn't have to be delivered to make the contract binding. If I say to you, I'll Offer you $20 (Consideration) tomorrow morning for that widget, and you say, Okay (Acceptance), you have a completed contract, despite the seller not having the money until tomorrow (or presumably the buyer from having the widget until payment).
Old March 23, 2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
So I guess the gentleman that wanted to buy all my Mosin-Nagant ammo pouches and then back out of the deal is unethical and has no honor?
Maybe--there's a big difference between "wanting" to buy your stuff and agreeing to buy it for an amount of money (i.e. a contract). If you make a valid offer and it is accepted, you should stick to your deal. If there were big money involved, and you had it in writing (or enough witnesses in some cases), a court would force compliance with the contract--it's just usually not worth it in the gun world. I surprised that anyone would suggest that a man's word shouldn't be his bond, if he can get a few more ducats elsewhere.

I've let people out of deals before and been let out of deals; but I've also agreed to follow through on bad deals when I made a mistake when pressed because it is the right thing to do.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:02 AM   #16
Hellbilly5000

I had the same thing happen on a motorcycle not to long ago. If you tell someone you're going to sell it to them unlist the thing. I card the guy about th bike he told me he would sell it to me for the agreed price and to call or text for the address an hour later after he got done eating. An hour later call him back (at this point I've got a rental truck to haul the bike as all I have is a different bike) and no answer no response to text msgs. No nothing.
Old March 25, 2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Don P

Quote:
Maybe--there's a big difference between "wanting" to buy your stuff and agreeing to buy it for an amount of money (i.e. a contract). If you make a valid offer and it is accepted, you should stick to your deal.
We did agree on a price and both of us were satisfied with the deal. Kind of hard to enforce the deal when emails are being exchanged. My view on this is from what has taken place is that it is and will be part of doing business over the INTERNET with regards to folks backing out of deals that many feel should be honored
Old March 31, 2012, 09:04 PM   #18
trex1310

I'm afraid some people do not have any idea what integrity is.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old March 31, 2012, 10:53 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I think this thread has run its course.

Closed.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Closed Thread