The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

Loose forend on Charles Daly O/U

I recently acquired a new (to me) Charles Daly Italian-made 12-ga O/U skeet gun. On my first trip to the skeet club, I noticed that the forend appeared to loosen as I shot the first round. The latch would pop out slightly at every shot, and I would have to pull the forend back tight to push it back into position. OK, something's not quite right. I only got the second round about half shot when the forend came off in my hand!

When I got it home, I discovered that the single screw that attaches the metal portion of the forend had broken off. Moreover, the forward screw that holds the latch plate on the underside of the forend was undersized, and was not even holding the latch plate into position. Obviously someone had replaced the 4mm screw with a 6X48 screw, and the one that broke off appeared to be a cheap metal screw with a Phillips head.

To make a long story short, replaced both screws with quality 4mm stainless steel screws, which cinched the forend up tight. Shot it for a round today, and noticed that the forend was loosening from the metal again, but not to the extent that the latch was popping out.

Is this a known problem with Charles Dalys? Does any amongst our august experts know of a cure for this problem?

Mods feel free to move to the Smithy if appropriate, but I'm trying to reach a broader range of experience among TFL's scattergunners.

Thanks, all!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 3, 2015, 02:10 PM   #2
TomADC

I have two old Daly's a 12 & 20 gauge bought in 1970 but made by B.C.Miruko both have been trouble free even after 10's of thousands rounds thru both.
Maybe previous owner got a little heavy handed?
Old July 3, 2015, 03:54 PM   #3
FITASC

If you shoot any typical O/U with a looser forearm, you risk cracking the wood.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 3, 2015, 10:42 PM   #4
michaelcj

I have a Daly Italian made 12ga double [SxS]… Thousand of shells through it mainly on the Dove fields… never an issue with the fore-end.
I know it's not exactly the same as the OU hardware… but it is the same Italian make.
Sorry couldn't be of any help.

M
Old July 5, 2015, 09:30 AM   #5
big al hunter

Sounds like a kitchen table gunsmith made a bad choice in screws. Some loctite might help things stay where you want them. Never heard about this issue before, but I'm not a smith.
Old July 5, 2015, 10:53 AM   #6
tangolima

So the forearm iron stays on. Just the wood pops off? Some pictures will be the best to understand your situation.

There are a few things a gunsmith can do to make the screws stay fast. But it may have something to do with your shooting style. If possible, try not to grasp the forearm tight with your weak hand, but rather to guide it. In order words, try not to fight hard against muzzle raise. It is this force that will pull the screws out of the wood. If it is too much to change the way to shoot, making the screw anchor stronger is the thing to do.

-TL