The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2014, 01:34 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

The main issue with "naked" cast bullets in a gas operated gun is lead and bullet lube building up and clogging the gas port, or some other part of the gas system., turning your gas operation into a manually operated repeater.

Some guns allow for fairly simple disassembly so the port can be accessed and cleaned, others do not.

AND, this assumes that you are running the cast bullets below the approx. 2200fps limit. At that level, even using the best lead alloy for high speeds and gas checks, you begin to get leading, and going any faster simply means more lead in your barrel every shot.

As I have said, plated bullets in rifles are a mystery to me, but it may be possible they will work acceptably well. It is also just as possible that they won't.

You may not think you are rich, but the money you have in the guns on order is probably more than I will see in the next five years put together, so I call that rich! Congratulations on being able to afford them!

I fully understand your desire to keep the ammo cost down. But I don't know if plated bullets is the right way to do it, for your M60. My gut says its not.

You might consider making a large order for regular 150gr ball slugs. Or at least find out what kind of price break might be possible (if any), if you order 10K, 50k or 100k at a time. We know those bullets will work.

I have extensive experience with the M60 as an Army Small Arms Repairman in the 1970s. The older guns have ...issues. Once you have the gun in hand, and can tell/show me the difference in the more modern upgrades, I'd be happy to share what I know about them, as applicable.
Old March 31, 2014, 05:40 PM   #27
tangolima

Plated bullets stand somewhere between cast and jacketed bullets. It may work. Why not buy a batch of 250 pcs from xtreme and try it out? If it doesn't work and you have no other use of the bullets, I will be glad to pay you the shipping cost to ship them my way