The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 7, 2009, 02:27 AM   #1
pboypat

Traveling from Ohio to DC

I will be traveling from Ohio to Washington DC Via car. How can I go about traveling with my firearm in my car? Thanks
Old March 7, 2009, 02:35 AM   #2
scorpion_tyr

I would suggest to look into all of the local and state laws for the areas you will be or may be traveling through. There's nothing wrong with taking advise from people here. 99.9% of them know what they're talking about. I only advise you to look into it for yourself because it's not worth getting a felony and giving up your right to own firearms in the future should something happen along the way.

I know one thing that will make a big difference is whether it's a hand gun or a long gun.
Old March 7, 2009, 02:37 AM   #3
pboypat

Would contacting the local state patrols be a good option?
Old March 7, 2009, 02:42 AM   #4
ohen cepel

Do not take it into DC. You can contact them but I expect that to be their official stance since you don't have a permit for there.

Best advice I can give is to stay out of DC entirely. However, if you must go get a locker outside of the District and leave your weapon there.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old March 7, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
chris in va

Call these guys and see if they can hold on to your firearms while you visit DC. They're a very well regarded/respected gun store in N. VA. Might as well, I don't recommend you drive into the city anyway, just take the Metro at Vienna station. Goes right to the Smithsonian stop on the Mall (if that's what you're going there for).

http://www.virginiaarms.com/

And BTW you can't take them into the district.

Last edited by chris in va; March 7, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old March 7, 2009, 12:45 PM   #6
22-rimfire

I would avoid taking a firearm inside DC. Transport is legal, but you have to be legal at the starting point and destination point and that is a problem inside DC.
Old March 7, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Sevens

Maryland is another place to be VERY careful with your handguns.

D.C., you'd have to be a politician to possibly be allowed to even think about a handgun in that city.
Old March 7, 2009, 04:35 PM   #8
PSP

Here's a link to the Metro DC police web site about transporting.
http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,566975.asp

Quote:
Transporting Your Firearm for Registration or to a Lawful Recreational Activity
When transporting your firearm in a vehicle, it must be unloaded, with neither the firearm nor any ammunition readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition must be unloaded and contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

If you are transporting your firearm in a manner other than in a vehicle, it must be unloaded, inside a locked container, and separate from any ammunition.
Maybe you should call first.
Old March 7, 2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

www.handgunlaw.us is a great place to start. After that, I'd make some calls to the state AG if I had questions.

Tags
car , concealed carry , open carry , traveling