The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 23, 2013, 07:47 AM   #26
psyfly

Once owned a Springer Ultra Compact that came factory ported, and I have no experience with MagnaPort.

1.) I couldn't discern any difference in recoil between it and any other lightweight .45ACP I own.

2.) I fired it day, twilight, and at night. The flash is impressive at night but I did not find it in any way "blinding". That, for me, isn't a valid issue.

3.) I was sceptical that the ports would pass enough gas to do damage when fired in retention so I set up a sheet of copy paper in a frame to see if there would be scorch marks. I fired the pistol a measured six inches below the paper. The upward blast from the ports blew the paper apart, burned it and blew it out of the frame. Not exactly scientific but I quit carrying the ported pistol.

Best,

Will

Last edited by psyfly; July 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Fixing bad grammar
Old July 23, 2013, 08:28 AM   #27
csmsss

I sure wouldn't have a snubby magnaported.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:46 AM   #28
Old Stony

Years ago I had a super Blackhawk barrel shortened (before they offered them in anything less than 7 1/2) and sent it to mag-na-port. Honestly I couldn't see or feel anything different once I got it back. If there was any difference in recoil or muzzle rise it was lost on me. Their work was very good with what they did, but I don't think I would have it done again.
I have a 629 with a 3" barrel currently, but the barrel was ported before I got it. I quickly found that lead was not the thing to shoot through it. It's a bugger to remove from the front sight.
Old July 26, 2013, 04:37 AM   #29
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
General consensus is that porting isn't such a good idea for a carry gun.
Must be by people with no experience with a ported gun.

Quote:
What Webleymkv said is good info. Yes there's low flash but debris could and would possibly strike you in the face or eyes under certain conditions especially if the gun would be used for self defense.
Pure speculation with a catch-all phrase tagged on in an attempt to be non-specific and cover any eventuality that could happen anywhere in the universe. I could also be sitting in my living room and a jet engine could fall off of an aircraft under "certain conditions" and kill me because I live near the flight path of an airport.

I have had a Detonics Combat Master since 1982. It was a snarly, hard to handle pistol because of the short barrel and reduced grip size. I used to own a machine shop and had an EDM, so I ported my own guns. The first gun I ported was the Detonics in 1984. After porting, the gun became far easier to shoot, and was my carry gun for the next 25 years.

I have never found problems with gas or debris hitting me in the face. The muzzle blast from the ported and unported pistol is exactly the same. If the gun is ported correctly, that is at a 45-degree angle to the bore axis, any gas or debris is vented away from your line of site.

The same with flash. This is an imaginary problem as far as I can tell. If you're not blinded by the muzzle flash - then the flash through the ports won't blind you either. Again, if the gun is ported at a 45-degree angle to the bore axis - the flash forms a "V" that is NO DIFFERENT than using an AR style rifle with a flash hider.

Most of these reasons for not having a gun ported are imaginary or speculative. I have three ported pistols and have never, in nearly 40 years of shooting them, had the problems you find touted by the "experts" on the Internet.

I just got a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan, and that gun is going in for porting at Gemini. I can hardly wait to have it done as it will become an even better revolver to shoot as it will be more controllable for follow up shots.
Old July 26, 2013, 09:31 AM   #30
Slopemeno

I'd have to agree, and my experience mirrors your exactly- no issue with flash or debris.

It's funny how someone will tell you that a 2.5" .357 revolver is practical, but a 5" .45 acp carry comp *isn't*.
Old July 26, 2013, 11:53 AM   #31
DPris
Member Emeritus

I had them port a 3-inch Ruger GP in .357 Mag years ago & never regretted it.
Carried the gun after retirement till 911 when I switched to a 1911 (we live not far from what was then a potential military terrorist target).

I tested it with several different magnum loads at night in the dark & several produced only a very mild spark. It's not hard to find a good defensive load that uses flash-retardant powders in the major handgun calibers.

I also tested for particulate ejecta through the ports (which is a concern some people have if they plan to fire with the gun close to the body or otherwise right under their face), and found very little. I held a sheet of paper about a foot above the ports while firing, nothing scorched & nothing either imbedded or perforated.

If it's necessary to fire from a hip or speed rock position, just angle the hand slightly out board to direct port gasses away from the body. If an aggressor's close enough to prevent you from extending the gun forward of your body, tipping the top of the gun fractionally away from your carcass should still achieve a hit.

The possibility of shaving tiny jacket particles as the bullet passes the ports does exist, but it's not a huge concern for me & may be bullet-dependent regarding jacket material.
The MagnaPort process doesn't leave internal burrs or sharp edges to cause shaving like drilling can.

I found the porting on that revolver aids control & benefits rapid-fire shooting, if necessary.
Absolutely zero issue with muzzle flash. And I do mean zero.
Very minor concern about ejecta if fired close to the body.

I have another 3-inch GP that'll eventually be ported, and I'll probably send off a four-inch Smith Model 629 next year. Both are in line after other projects are done.
Considering porting a Ruger SP .357 I have, too.

I doubt I'd do it with an auto, but that's just me.
Denis
Old July 26, 2013, 10:46 PM   #32
GP100man

My EXP.

Had a 4" Colt King Cobra Magnaported (Great company & work was flawless) , later in life I started casting my own fodder for the 38/357 & 44.

Found out as ya increase pressure on the bullets the more was peeled off & blown into the air landing on my arms , not hot enuff to burn ya but hot enuff to distract ya!
Old July 26, 2013, 10:54 PM   #33
DPris
Member Emeritus

I tried 125s, 158s, and 180s, did not run into that.
Tried a .38 or two, same.
Denis