The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Duxman

Knoxx Comstock TEST!!!

Finally after a long wait: The in-depth review of the Knoxx Spec Ops comstock.

Delivery and purchase - The website was clean and well illustrated, with many video examples and pictures of the Comstock. I drooled over and decided to go with the Spec Ops to mate with my Mossberg 590.

A little over a week later - the package had arrived. My bulldog decided to naw on it after UPS left it in the backyard. But luckily after ripping up the box and some of the plastic padding - he left it alone: +1 to Knoxx for very good packaging. Things are looking good so far.

I am not a gunsmith - so I do not have all the fancy tools. First issue - when I looked over the instructions - several not so common household tools are needed to take the original mossberg stock off the weapon - a long extension for the ratchet tool, or a very long flat head screwdriver. The Spec Ops stock also needs a special ball end hex wrench in 3/16 to attach to the shotgun.

My heart sank as I would have to wait a few days to go to Lowe's and buy the tools due to work and other commitments. (-1 to Knoxx for not giving us this data on the website) When I purchased the tools needed, I luckily got a full set of ball end hex wrenches. Because the 3/16 size mentioned in the manual did not fit the special screw. I had to go 2 sizes higher! But I did have the full set - so no problems. The instructions could use a few more pictures as to how exactly to fit the stock into the shotgun.

Major peeve: Because of the way Mossberg designed the release catch for the slide - you have to change your grip when using a pistol grip / spec ops stock to release the slide safety catch on the left side of the trigger. Unless you have a super long thumb. (which I do not...) -1 to design.

The look of the stock, and its feel is excellent. Well built, solid feel. Makes the gun look more dangerous. It in fact makes it downright intimidating (+2)

Took the weapon to the NRA and fired 2 Federal Vitak Shok slugs (which would normally make my shoulder wince in pain). Nothing - no pain. The Knoxx delivers on its commitment to reduce 95% of felt recoil. The stock took the brunt and turned the recoil into a gentle push. I had 2 of my friends fire 1 shot each, and both agreed. (1 of them a first time shooter) - This is an excellent product and I highly recommend it to anyone who is not a fan of recoil. Go buy one today! (Note does not work with Mossberg 590 DA's)

I will now be firing my mossberg in joy a lot more thanks to Knoxx. (PS whats the warranty on this?)

Overall:

Looks: 9
Ergonomics: 9.5
Instructions: 5
Adjustability: 8
Recoil absorbtion: 11* (out of 10)

If you Knoxx engineers fix that lousy instruction manual (I suggest a web link with detailed step by step pictures) - it would be top notch all the way around. In short - I really like and would definately recommend this to anyone looking for a real solution to the 12 ga's felt recoil. Enjoy.
Old September 19, 2005, 11:16 AM   #2
CaCrusin

Quote:
DUXMAN wrote:
If you Knoxx engineers fix that lousy instruction manual (I suggest a web link with detailed step by step pictures) - it would be top notch all the way around. In short - I really like and would definately recommend this to anyone looking for a real solution to the 12 ga's felt recoil. Enjoy.
We are working on your suggestions right now. Thanks for highly informative report. We are pleased that you liked it.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old September 19, 2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Duxman

Thank you for making a fine product CC.

My next shotgun and possibly hunting rifle will soon be wearing a Comstock as well.

Whats the warranty on this product? Could not find that information.
Old September 19, 2005, 06:12 PM   #4
CaCrusin

Warranty information

Warrantees are interesting creatures in that they are very limiting. We have a different way of looking a things here at Knoxx. We follow the Dillon Precision idea of taking care of our customers. If you find the product unsatisfactory when you get it and try it, send it back for a refund. If you find it defective, we'll replace it. No arguments, no hassles. If it breaks, we'll fix it or replace it. If you were stupid and busted it up, we might make you pay for shipping but I doubt it.

We want nothing but happy campers. You can't please everybody but you can most of 'em.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old September 19, 2005, 06:56 PM   #5
IDriveB5

thanks for the review, im thinking about getting one for my 870. would you be able to post a couple pics?
Old September 20, 2005, 12:03 AM   #6
cdc

Here is mine without the Reflex Optics and mount. The forearm pic is of a Hogue Overmolded which Knoxx also sells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-570S.JPG (147.2 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-571S.JPG (141.6 KB, 614 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-569S.JPG (142.1 KB, 545 views)
Old September 20, 2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Paintballer

Got mine in the mail last night and got it bolted on. I didn’t have the ball head Allen, so it took a little longer and much more patience...
First, the packaging. Yeah, it may be an overlooked subject, but when I opened the box, I saw a very professional looking plastic package with neat graphics and it looked great!
When I got it open, the first thing I noticed was the weight of the stock. It feels tough. The fit and finish of the stock is top notch and the materials are flawless – not burrs or raised edges.
After removing the factory stock, I followed the suggested pre-alignment methods for the Remington that Knoxx had suggested.
At this point, I would like to suggest a blow up of the washer/O-ring and bolt so there is no confusion re-assembling them in proper order if you happen to play around with the stock too much and drop the O-ring on the floor and just barely notice it before installing the stock.
As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t have the ball end Allen, so it did take me a few more minutes and some swearing to complete the task.
I got the stock to snug up to the receiver and the stopped turning right where I expected it to.
After the task was complete, I fiddled with the adjustment of the stock and played with the shouldering until I found the most comfortable position.
I will say that the gun now feels very front heavy, but I am sure I will be glad at the test firing.
The only complaint, and it is a tiny one, is the grip. It feels too smooth for me. A rubber over grip or some finger groves would be awesome.
Thank you Knoxx, I cant wait to test this out!

Old September 20, 2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Duxman

I guarantee the test will go well. I was really surprised at my test. I would have been happy with a 30-50% reduction of recoil.

But this baby just soaks up almost ALL the felt recoil. No bruises, no pain. The perfect gift to someone who owns a shotgun and does not like to fire it because its painful.

Right on with the ball end wrench - I swore a lot too, I would even have paid an extra $5-8 bucks to have it included in the shipment. The laziness coming out.

Any plans to get this baby on the 45-70 Govt' Marlin guide rifle?
Old September 20, 2005, 03:30 PM   #9
Paintballer

I hope this weekend if no rain and Mt. St. Helens keeps quiet...
I got a ball end 3/16" from work and will reset it today if I can just to be sure. I dont want it to bust off at the first shot
How tight is TOO tight for those who dont own a torque wrench? Mine is flush with thr reciever plus 1/8th turn. Too much or OK?
Yeah - $5 bucks extra for the wrench is a good idea.
Old September 20, 2005, 03:43 PM   #10
CaCrusin

Ya' Done Good!

If the gap is gone, you have applied sufficient torque. That is the indicator. I'll tell our graphics and packaging people you liked the packaging.

Have fun!!!

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old October 13, 2005, 10:56 AM   #11
nin1974

hope putting mine on my 870 MAX will be no hassle
Old October 13, 2005, 11:51 AM   #12
Cactus

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that an oversized safety can't be used with the Spec Ops stock on an 870. Is this correct? Can the stock be modified to allow use of the oversized safety?

I have the Vang large safety that I really like and would hate to take it off.
Old October 14, 2005, 10:24 AM   #13
CaCrusin

No BIg Head Safeties !

Quote:
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that an oversized safety can't be used with the Spec Ops stock on an 870. Is this correct? Can the stock be modified to allow use of the oversized safety?

I have the Vang large safety that I really like and would hate to take it off.
Sorry Cactus. The Big Head or oversized safety would crash into the pistol grip and smash it to pieces. It might also cause injury to you or someone standing nearby. When you fire a shotgun equipped with a SpecOps (or COPstock Folder) the entire shotgun moves rearward about 1.25 inches. The trigger guard retacts about half way into the grip and that is the part where the big head safety causes the problems. It all happens very quickly, and no, you can't get your finger smashed by the trigger guard. The stock cannot be modified to make it work with the Big Heads. It's the only sacrifice you have to make to end painful recoil. That's fair.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old October 15, 2005, 08:59 PM   #14
Little Wolf

On the plus side, the compstock does allow you to use the vang big head safety. At leas the big flat head safety that they offer, not sure about the big round one. That one never did appeal to me anyway, the big flat head safety is the same shape and look as the standard remington one, only larger.

CA, what is the recoil difference between the compstock and the spec ops? I like traditional style shotgun stocks, esp because the spec ops would make my gun muzzle heavy with the light/mag extension etc I have on it.

Maybe you could create an "upgraded" compstock with recoil reduction closer, or equal, to the spec ops?
Old October 17, 2005, 12:06 PM   #15
CaCrusin

Compare SpecOps vs. CompStock

The CompStock and SpecOps are very close in recoil reduction. The second mechanism in the SpecOps does shave off a bit more of the recoil but the CompStock makes up for it with more surface area. You do sacrifice length adjustment but if this isn't a factor, the COmpStock is an excellent choice.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old October 17, 2005, 01:24 PM   #16
'75Scout

I'll be getting a Compstock pretty soon for my 870.
Old March 1, 2011, 03:34 PM   #17
SCBondsman

Specops stock (tm)

CaCrusin,

Are you still with Knoxx/Blackhawk!?

If so, I've got a qustion:

I just purchased and installed the SPECOPS STOCK (TM) w- Knoxx RST, which 3 point sling fits this stock best?

I know the thread is old. I just found the web site...
Old March 1, 2011, 04:34 PM   #18
Evan Thomas

SCBondsman, welcome to TFL.

CaCrusin hasn't visited TFL since 2007, so you're probably going to have a long wait for a response....

You'll likely do better to ask this question of someone at Blackhawk, via the contact page on their web site. Then again, you may not need to ask. The SpecOps Stock page has a bunch of accessories at the bottom, including a 3-point sling....
Old March 1, 2011, 09:14 PM   #19
SCBondsman

Thanks, Vanya!

There is one on their site, however I didn't like the way it looked as though it used "bungee cords," for a lack of a better term, threaded through the upper portion of the butt stock.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!
Old March 1, 2011, 11:46 PM   #20
zippy13

This is an old thread, so it's new to many, including me. I take issue with the OP's comment:
Quote:
Major peeve: Because of the way Mossberg designed the release catch for the slide - you have to change your grip when using a pistol grip / spec ops stock to release the slide safety catch on the left side of the trigger. Unless you have a super long thumb. (which I do not...) -1 to design.
This is a reasonable comment -- the safety slider (located on the top of the receiver, not on the left -- the OP confused the safety with the action release) is far from being readily accessible with a detached pistol grip stock; but, it's not a problem caused by Knoxx. Many times it's been mentioned that the ergonomics of the Mossberg do not work well with a detached pistol grip. If you want an accessible safety catch in a shotgun with a detached pistol grip stock, then a Remington-type safety location makes more sense.

It was the OP's choice to mix a Mossberg and a detached pistol grip. The Knoxx folks are just responding to market demand and shouldn't have been given a negative mark because the OP made an uninformed decision. There will probably be a lot more gun owners who repeat this ergonomic mismatch; but, hopefully they won't be readers of this forum.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:29 AM   #21
SCBondsman

I agree.

The slide release and the position of the saftey are awkward and will take some practice but that means more shooting!
Old March 4, 2011, 12:06 PM   #22
SCBondsman

Just got done burning multiple loads w- the RST stock. 2 3/4" & 3" buck shot, steel, 7.5's, 8's and so on.

It reduces recoil like it claims. No question.

The issue I'm having is "cheeck slap." I have followed the directions in regards to distance to flang but I'm still getting it with it extended as far as I can shoot it.

My shoulder feels like I haven't fired a shot but my cheeck bone say's other wise.

Any suggestions?
Old March 4, 2011, 02:53 PM   #23
zippy13

Sorry you're getting your "cheek slapped" -- I'm not up to speed on all the stocks available these days, what's an RST? The Blachawk site shows Knoxx recoil reduction stocks in two basic types: The SPECOPS where your face and shoulder are isolated from recoil and the COMPSTOCK where just your shoulder is isolated but not your face. Is the RST like the COMPSTOCK?

I have a JS Air Cushion stock on a Skeet gun and a Shockmaster on a Trap gun. Both of these provide recoil reduction for the face and shoulder. I imagine a COMPSTOCK-type unit could easily slap you face significantly if not properly fit to the shooter.

If your cheek is taking a beating, you might get some temporary relief by applying a pre-shave talc stick to your cheek before you shoot.

A more horizontal pitch may help -- you could try shimming the stock.