The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2002, 07:10 PM   #1
dfaugh

Simple Reloading economics question

What is the range of cost for complete reloaded rounds, for pistol (9mm, say)rifle (say midrange caliber...30-06) and shotgun(trap or hunting loads)? Not counting reloading equipment, but what's cost of each round, Ranging from cheapest possible (i.e cast bullet, least expensive components...to "premium, best of everything")

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 19, 2002, 08:35 PM   #2
burrhead

45 acp runs about 7 cents per for 230 gr cast. 38s about a penny less with 158 grainers. 22-250, with Hornady or Speer match bullets, a quarter. Not counting brass attrition. YMMV

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old June 19, 2002, 08:43 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Nuther factor.
Quantity of purchase.

1,000 bullets or 100,000
etc

Sam
Old June 19, 2002, 09:30 PM   #4
nyetter

My 9mm loads are about $90/1000, assuming a single use of brass. Figuring 5 uses, and the cheapest components I could get, it would be about $65/1000. These figures are everything included, tax & shipping too.
Old June 19, 2002, 09:37 PM   #5
David Wile

Hey folks,

I'll tag on to Sam with a few more factors. Do you buy your cast bullets ready made, or do you cast them yourself? How about cast bullets with gaschecks? Besides bullets in quantity, what about quantity for other consumables such as powder, primers, shot, and wads? The bigger the quantity you buy of those things, the cheaper your cost per round gets.

If you figure the cost of all the reloading equipment that I (and most other folks) have, one could certainly make the argument that buying commercial ammo would be less expensive. But then again, that is commercial ammo, and I consider the ammo I make to be better. I can also make a much bigger variety than I can buy. And I am not the best reloader around even though I have been doing it since the 1960s. I know some folks who go to some really Herculean efforts just to reduce the standard deviation of their loads by a very small amount. Those guys are more particular than I, but I am more particular than the folks who make factory ammo. It all depends on how far you want to go with the quest.

I can buy surplus ammo for less than I can make it, but that does not mean I should not make my own. Actually, I really do not like to use surplus ammo because of the unknowns of its corrosiveness. I am not saying anyone should not shoot surplus ammo. For my own purposes, however, I would rather shoot my own. I do, however, make good use of surplus powder and surplus bullets whenever I can.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old June 20, 2002, 06:18 AM   #6
dfaugh

Details

Not looking for too much analysis...as far as quanitities of materials, I'm thinking of the"average" reloader... meaning buying relatively small quantities, not someone who churns out thousands of rounds a month...So maybe buying bullets and primers by the hundreds, powder no more than a few lbs at a time...I know that in some cases, you can buy ammo cheaper, but want cost for reloads (for all the reasons mentioned above) specifically because combinations you produce may not be available commercially....Again, not concerned w/ cost of reloading equipment...just actual costs to produce...minimum assumes no new brass, just other components, maximum would include new quality brass....

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 20, 2002, 09:49 AM   #7
Jeeper

You can save a lot on pistol ammo but you can really save a ton of precision rifle ammo. Good hunting ammo that is like $30 for 20 you can reload 50-100 for the same price with the same components.
Old June 20, 2002, 10:08 AM   #8
Steve Smith

Gentlemen...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....ht=spreadsheet

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old June 20, 2002, 10:21 AM   #9
Bogie

For ultra-precision rifle rounds...

Primer 0.02
Bullet 0.17
Case 0.10 ($2.00 amortized over 20 firings, but since I buy my brass at $0.059 each, and do all my prep work, my cost is more like $0.03)
Powder (heck, I dunno... maybe 10-20 cents...)

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old June 20, 2002, 10:35 AM   #10
Poodleshooter

Handgun: I can beat any factory cost on any ammo at nearly any quantity
Rifle: I can't beat military surplus ammo costs at any quantity, I can beat any commercial softpoint or match ammo costs.
Shotgun: I can't beat the cheapest Remington Dove and Quail loads available at Walmart, I can beat costs on every other load. It is however, difficult to replicate a lot of the higher end hunting ammo-steel shot, magnum buffered loads, slugs and buckshot.
Old June 20, 2002, 10:46 AM   #11
Bacchus

The books I have read suggest that, depending on caliber, expect to save at least 50% without breaking a sweat and up to about 70% if you buy components in bulk.
Old June 20, 2002, 12:36 PM   #12
Master Blaster

I can reload match grade .45 ACP (meaning it will shoot a under 2" 5 shot group at 25 yards from my Kimber, or my Colt from a sandbag rest) for $3.50 per box of 50.

To buy similar quality / accuracy .45 the choice is federal gold medal match at $19 per 50 bought in a case quantity. per box at my local gunshop its $24 per 50.

The savings is very substantial.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:01 AM   #13
Waterdog

I get a lot of personal satisfaction from reloading my own ammo. My savings excede 60%, on the average.

I grew up building models, then burning, and blowin them up. Reloading was a natural transition.

It also gives me more independence from the system.

Waterdog
Old June 26, 2002, 12:45 AM   #14
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

No bearing on the coinversation per se, but when you figure a $25K 4X4 to get you to the deer woods, another $1k+ for camping equipment, etc. + the vaca-time to havest that venison, your "free' deer ends up costing somewhere around well over $150 per pound.

Who even plays with reloading costs? I do it 'cause it's fun enough ... & that independence thing.
Old June 26, 2002, 08:49 AM   #15
1911fan

I do .45 with a 230gr LRN for 6.50/100. 12 ga. runs between 2.29 and 2.45 per 25, depending on shot charge (7/8oz to 1-1/8oz). 20 ga. runs slightly less due to less powder used per shell. I buy pistol powders 5lbs. at a time (I use IMR 700-x and SR7625), primers by the 5000 for both pistol and shotgun, and wads generally 2000 at a time.

Mike
Old June 26, 2002, 09:59 AM   #16
BigG

I would say for producing EQUAL quality, reloading is much cheaper. Target 45 ACP is just pennies a shot vs. about $15.00 (at the store) for generic hardball. You will amortize your equipment pretty dang soon if you do any shootin atall.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 26, 2002, 10:47 AM   #17
Dad-Gummit

Reloading WIL NOT save you any money-in fact since I've started reloading I'm spending alot more on my ammo budget. But in return I'm shooting a whole lot more. Before reloading I would only shoot 1box out of my .45-now it's not uncommon for me to bang out several hundred .45's per session. Rifles the same-before I would buy a box or two per year-sight my gun in, then use it to hunt with. Now I shoot plenty of rounds through my rifles. The result is now my rifles are all sub inch shooters,and bragging good with my pistols. Hav'nt started reloaing for my G-17 since Ammoman has 1,000 for $100(cash discount) Norma 9mms,and with the Glock I can't use cast bullets, so these are as cheap as I can make them. Don't get into reloading to save money-get into reloading to shoot more.