The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
CWKahrFan

ATI Fatboy .45 Owners: How's It Going?

Any owners out there who can report on the ATI Fatboy's reliability?

I read about some problems when they first came out, which isn't unusual with new experimental models. I handled one at a gun show awhile back and it fit my hand perfectly. I'm impressed with the big payload packed into this small package and thought, wow... if this gun IS reliable, it would be quite a unique carry piece.

I know 3" bbl. .45's are generally iffy cyclers. Still, some folks are confident carrying small 1911's with good reputations, such as the the Colt New Agent.

'Course the Fatboy is double-stack to boot!... Here's a link to a review which mentions some FTF's:

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=129

But maybe the manufacturer has done some tweaking since then... I'd like to hear from any actual owners:

How is your's shooting? When was it produced? Are you confident enough to carry it for SD?
Old December 9, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I still own a Para-Ordnance P12.45 and I have owned a para 12.45 LDA (both now, unfortunately, discontinued). Both have been completely reliable (disclaimer: The P12 was bought well-used and obviously "broken in." The 12.45 LDA gave me a lot of problems in the first 100 or 150 rounds. Once I realized I was shooting junk ammo and switched, ALL problems went away.)

I do not own a "Fatboy," but I have handled one. I don't like the fact that there are no grips that can be changed, but the rest of it looks good. The manufacturer (Shooters Arms Manufacturing) has been in business for a long time and they make good 1911s. If the Fatboy rings your chimes, I think it will prove to be a reliable firearm.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:16 AM   #3
thedudeabides

Lit up the 1911 scene a few months back. People had all sorts of problems, then I stopped hearing about them.

Just about any Filipino 1911 singlestack Commander frame CAN be reliable, and a better choice for CCW, I'd think twice about putting down cash for an unproven double stack like the Fatboy.

If you want more bullets get a Glock.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Rifleman1952

I would lean more towards a Glock 30 SF. About the same size, lighter weight, proven reliability, 10+1 rounds of .45 acp. Since it's a Glock, there are probably loads of aftermarket goodies available. I'm not a "Glock guy" but have considered a 45 in that size niche and IMHO, the Glock 30SF seems to be the best choice.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Doesn't Para USA still sell the Warthog?