The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 15, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
snipcod

Tang sight for 1885 high wall?

Howdy fellas. Subject pretty much says it all. Looking for a precision tang sight for my 1885 high wall in .38-55. Winner if any might have an idea where i skills look. I've seem some before that medium in height as I don't need the 1000 yard tang for my caliber. As i recall however, these sights cost around 500 bucks. Was really hoping to find one for no more than 300. Any ideas?
Old August 15, 2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Jim Watson

You got a real Winchester or the Japanese copy?
If the copy does it HAVE a tang to put one on?

Do you want a "sporting tang sight" like a Marble's?
They are still there.
http://www.marblearms.com/
Check at Brownells and Midway.

Or do you want a vernier tang sight for serious target shooting?
The guys on the Shiloh Sharps board say that Ron Heilman's is the least expensive one worth having.

Ron Heilman Sights: Ron is a craftsman of the first order. Ron makes Soule sights in short, medium and long range configurations. The sights can be had with vernier markings on either side, depending on your choice. windage adjustments up to 40 minutes are also available. Ron also makes a spirit level front sight. The level is inside the globe, and the sight uses Lyman 17 A inserts. Prices for the tang sight are from $225.00 to $275.00 and the front spirit level is $110.00 Ron can be reached at 253-840-2623 or [email protected]

Me? I use Baldwins but they are out of your price range.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:40 AM   #3
snipcod

Not a jap copy this rifle, nor is it a Winchester. It's an American made clone.
I'm looking for the more traditional sight with the vernier. Like the soules. Thinking about a MVA. The Baldwins are nice, and I'm in love with the look of the Kellys. Have to give my self impose budget consideration.
Old August 16, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
snipcod

It's a Single Shot inc, from Big Timber MT
Old August 16, 2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Fascinating, I did not know the history.
A short lived company bought up by C. Sharps who continued the model.

Like I said, the guys on the Shiloh board like Ron Heilman's sights for something less expensive than MVA. But I don't know that I have ever even seen one.

I see plenty of MVAs and Kelleys, some Baldwins around here.
I bought a rifle that came with a nice Walker sight but traded it off to get another Baldwin so all my adjustments would turn the same way.

I saw a Lee Shaver not long ago and it looked good. NOT the Lee Shaver Economy Soule, I had one of those and do not recommend the type. His high grade sight is worth a look.

The Red River - ex Parts Unknown from the Ukraine - seems ok.

Last edited by Jim Watson; August 16, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
snipcod

It is a very fine rifle that's for sure. One of my favorites, plus it does not beat the hell out of my shoulder.
What about done of these front sights. Are the globe sights period? What about the ones with the spirt levels? Would these be okay at cowboy matches? Thanks
Old August 16, 2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Globe sights and spirit levels are period.
I think the MVAs are the most authentic but the light tight screw collar insert retainers and internal levels of the Baldwin and some others are improvements in actually aiming the rifle.

The Soule windage adjustment came out in the 1880s but I bet more Soule sights have been sold in the past 10 years than Mr Soule ever thought of.

I started in CAS single shot side matches with my .38-55 and a Marble's Flexible sporting tang and blade front. That was adequate for the 140-160 yard shots done around here at the time.
A friend got me into BPCR and I added a Lyman 17 front and Shaver Economy Soule. I later upgraded to Baldwins. That friend said: "You stayed with that cheap sight about a year too long." I had gotten to the point that its shortcomings were hurting the shooting.

I don't know if there are any limitations on sights in CAS currently.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Straitshot

As mentioned earlier, Lee Shaver has a nice soule type sight in the
$250 range. It has both windage and elevation and I believe a Hadley type eye piece. You can get it with either a long range or mid range staff. His premium sight I believe is around $380. You can find them on the big exxx auction sight. I believe he has a store there. He also has a very nice front sight, not adjustable but has the different inserts and a level inside the tube for $85.

I like my newer Red River sight but they are getting hard to find.

Last edited by Straitshot; August 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:22 AM   #9
drcook

In the soule/vernier sight department, you get what you pay for. Bottom of the line are the sights Pedersoli just sticks in the box so there will be something there and most people throw in the weeds, though I did see someone trying to sell one on gunbroker for $50.00. At the top of the line, as mentioned, are the MVA's, Hoke's, Kelly etc.

Middle of the pack are the better Lee Shaver and Ron Heilman, more due to the degree of finish as opposed to the degree of quality.

I have 7 that I have bought from Ron Heilman and they work just fine on my rifles. I have used them in competition out to 1000 yards with no issues. The better Lee Shaver sight would serve you well also. The economy sight I have not heard anything good or bad about.

I wouldn't have bought more than one Ron Heilman sight if they didn't perform. Since I wanted a sight on each rifle, instead of swapping staffs back and forth, getting sights from Ron was the best way to go.

I also have 2 MVA soule sights, one came with a Shiloh I bought, and the other I got a super deal on.