The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 26, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
TheTinMan

Unusual Canadian Hi Power?

Disclaimer: I don't know much about Hi Powers.

Yesterday I came across an interesting gun. On left side it was marked:

Browning FN 9mm H.P. Inglis, Canada

Serial number 1T461x

The pistol was really beaten up in terms of finish, but the trigger was surprisingly nice. Half the take up of other Hi Powers I've handled (only 3 or 4). Nice clean break. Magazine disconnect still in place.

1911 Commander-style ring hammer

Place for a lanyard on one side.

The weirdest thing was the extractor. It appeared to go through a tunnel in the slide like a 1911. Could see the end of it at the end of the slide. There was what looked like an oval removable panel on the right hand side of the slide in the area with the cocking serrations.

The store was asking $350 for it. The barrel didn't look great but it wasn't really clean either.

Anybody know more about this pistol?

(also asked on 1911forum.com in case you visit there as well)

Last edited by TheTinMan; October 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
TheTinMan

OK - I think I've figured out what that this is a Canadian manufacture during WWII. Should've done the Google first! This is what the right side looks like, except it is the fixed sight version.

I forgot to write down the "Mk 1" marking. Also there was a symbol like a "D" except with a short, horizontal bar running part way into the middle from the left, followed by "FTR 63".
Old October 26, 2012, 02:04 PM   #3
darkroommike

Buy It! Especially if it has the slot in the grip for the stock. (I know, if it has the fixed rear sight it shouldn't have the slot, but still--the sights could have been changed out.) The one in the photo has both the wood stock and the tangent sights.

Last edited by darkroommike; October 26, 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Old October 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

$350 would be a great price of an Inglis.

IIRC two workers for FN in Belgium got out of the country with a set of High Power engineering drawings not far ahead of the Germans.

They got to France, and from there to England, where they turned the drawings over to the British.

Britain didn't have any companies capable of putting the design into production, so they shipped them off to Canada to Inglis, who tooled up and produced something like half a million during the war.

Quite a few of the ones that they made had the tangent sight and the stock and were actually destined for China. Most of them went to the Chinese, but once that contract was completed Inglis made the guns for the Canadian army and also for British paratroop and special forces.

They were easily the most popular handgun in British service and apparently it was not at all uncommon later in the war to find British soldiers and officers carrying Hi Powers that had been made at FN by the Germans.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #5
TheTinMan

Thanks guys!

Just picked it up for $300

Pics to follow.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:36 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The symbol mentioned is a combined "E" and "D", the marking for the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield Lock. The gun underwent "Factory Thorough Repair" (FTR or rebuild) there in 1963. Though I don't know it for a fact, it is possible that they touched up the trigger at that point, or they may have hit just the right combination in replacing parts.

Jim
Old October 27, 2012, 02:23 PM   #7
PetahW

It sounds like a sweet find, for only $300 - now for some pics ! !

Old October 29, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
TheTinMan

The least I can do in response to your help is post a couple of pics:

After a thorough cleaning (extractor tunnel had solid gunk in it), the pistol functioned flawlessly. The trigger is not as smooth as I'm used to and the grip is soooo different from a 1911 or a revolver.

Now I need to find a couple of Inglis magazines and maybe a lanyard loop.

Last edited by TheTinMan; October 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, that's the later version that was built post Chinese contracts and which went to the Canadian and British militaries.

Any Hi Power magazine should work in it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:07 AM   #10
darkroommike

Pretty good looking old war horse, I wouldn't do a thing to it. BTW be aware of your grip, High Power's have a reputation for biting the web of your hand. When I was a very young shooter I had an HP and got bit a few times. With time and a little coaching I got it figured out. It was a nice pistol and shot very well, sorry I let it go.