The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2001, 07:41 PM   #1
GUNNUTS

Remington 300 Ideal Info. Please

Why didn't the 300 sell well?Anybody have one or know the good and the bad on them,What's wrong with there Boxlock action?compaired to browning's action?I know there different, It seems the cheaper guns REM.,WIN. BERETTA ,All use this boxlock action,While Browning uses there action,I know very little about over&unders,Other than the $$$,The Browning is only about $225.00 more,But I've read that thay had a problem with the barrels both not shooting to point of aim?Newer CITORI not the older ones?
Old December 29, 2001, 11:45 PM   #2
K80Geoff

The Browning is a Boxlock, as are the other guns you mentioned.The Brownings are well made guns that are very popular in clay shooting games and favored because of their reliability. There are probably more Browning O/U 's being used than any other make. If they did not shoot to the same point, they would not appear on the clays courses, as was the case with the Remington O/U's made in the last ten years or so. The Remingtons are poor quality and troublesome.

Beretta and Winchester are far from cheap guns, both have well deserved reputations. The winchester 101 is no longer made. Winchester did produce a gun called the 1001 but it was recalled because of problems.

The Remington 300 Ideal may or may not be a good gun. But it was not accepted by shooters because of the problems with its predecessor the Peerless. It was also overpriced and lacked any asthetic appeal. The last good double Remington produced was the 3200 years ago.

In O/U guns Browning and Beretta are considered the best of the entry level guns.
Old December 29, 2001, 11:48 PM   #3
K80Geoff

OOps!

Last edited by K80Geoff; December 30, 2001 at 04:52 AM.
Old December 30, 2001, 07:04 AM   #4
PJR

The continued downward spiral of Remingtons quality control would be enough reason for me to avoid any new Remington's. The last new 1100 I looked at was very disappointing compared to models from even 5 or 10 years ago.

The 300 was Remington's attempt to set things right after the very poor Peerless. I shot a 300 and it wasn't a bad gun at all. But for the extra money, I'd go Browning every time. I've owned two of their breaking guns and my most recent purchase of a 20 gauge Citori has convinced me they are putting out the nicest fitted and finished factory guns in that price range.
Old December 31, 2001, 11:08 AM   #5
GUNNUTS

THANKS GUYS!!