The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 22, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1
whitearrow

weatherby vanguard/leupold mark 4 mount?????

good morning fellas and happy turkey day. i am about to order a weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified .308 win rifle in the next few days. i assume that the .308 win will be a short action right? if so i have a leupold mark 4 one piece picatinny mount for a rem m700 short action just laying around that i also have the mark 4 rings to go with it. i have heard that the rem m700 and the wby vanguard have the exact same mounting hole spacing and pattern. what i'm trying to say is does the rem m700 and the wby vanguard use the same mounts? also, i have heard about a slope of the receiver on the vanguards that might require a shim to raise the back mount? my one piece mark 4 mount has a built in slope of 15 degrees from rear to front. should this take care of the shim issue? will this mark 4 one piece mount that fit great on my m700 short action fit my new wby vanguard in .308 win?
thanks and sorry for the longwinded question,
whitearrow->>>-------------->
Old November 24, 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
btmj

I am not really sure how to answer your question. However I will tell you this:

Bases are very specific to a certain rifle. If you have a Ruger 77, you buy bases for a Ruger 77. If you have Rem 700, you buy bases for that.

The bases for a weatherby vanguard are common with Howa and possibly others.

The base will be in one of several mounting styles: Weaver, picatiny, Leupold/redfield, I think there is a dovetail style, and some kind of twist lock.... the only ones I ever use are Weaver and Picatiny.

The rings you buy need to be compatible with the bases, and also with the scope tube diameter.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:20 AM   #3
whitearrow

thanks btmj. i understand that i need to buy bases for my intended application but as i understand that the wby vanguard shares the same hole pattern and usually the same mounts as the rem model 700. i was just wondering if that carried over to the leupold mark 4 picatinny one piece mount.
thanks,
whitearrow
Old November 24, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
SSA

My understanding is,
2-piece Remington 700 bases fit the Vanguard.
1-piece Remington 700 bases do not fit the Vanguard.
You can look up some bases for each and compare part numbers.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Mobuck

You might check Brownells or Midway USA for base fit charts. I do know that Rem 700 2 piece bases work fine on Howa short and long actions. Height will be fine, it's the distance between front and rear action rings that might be different.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:06 AM   #6
whitearrow

well fellas i just thought i'd answer my own question as i have, since asking the question, purchased the vanguard series 2. the leupold mark 4 one piece picatinny base for the rem m700 short action DOES NOT fit the short action vanguard. when i had the rear holes lined up the front 2 would be off soem and vice versa for the fron 2 holes.
hope this will help someone else that might have the same predicament,
whtearrow
Old December 6, 2012, 01:42 PM   #7
SSA

It sounds like, if a guy wanted to, he could cut the 1-piece base in half, and have a 2-piece base that would fit the Vanguard.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
whitearrow

well,ssa i guess anything is possible and the sky is the limit but that would kinda defeat the purpose of a one piece base rigidity.
thanks,
whitearrow
Old December 7, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Joe Chicago

Yes, .308 is a short action. I used the same two piece scope mount from my M700 on my Vanguard S2, but I do not know if a rail mount will fit.

On a side note, why are you buying the Range Certified S2? The standard Vanguard S2 is guaranteed sub MOA and mine shoots well below an inch with ammo it likes. Why pay the premium?
Old December 7, 2012, 06:33 PM   #10
whitearrow

well joe thats a good question and one that i bounced back and forth for awhile before purchase. #1 The way i figured it is that if i buy the regular s2 and then buy the b&c medalist stock for it then i am right up there with the price of the range certified. #2 also, wby cs told me that the rc models are the only ones actually shot at the factory to ensure "sub-moa". With the regular s2 they are taking a gamble that it will be sub-moa. I'm not much of a gambler myself. #3 wby cs also said that the rc models were pillar bedded. #4 i like rifles that there isn't many of out there and you are right in that 90% of people buying a wby vanguard s2 will opt for the regular s2 and not the rc. #5 i just didn't like the stock that can with the regular s2 at all.
thanks,
whitearrow