The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2002, 09:05 AM   #1
Boo586

Cheap Bullets

Cheap Bullets!!

I was loading up some 158 grain jacketed hollowpoints made by Star yesterday and I set my seating depth like usaual to the middle of the cannelure and went to seating the bullets. After I got the first ten seated I inspected the catridges and in some of them the bullet was seated past the canelure. What the H E double hockey stick? I decided to measure the length of some of the bullets and low and behold, the length of the bullets varied as much as 0.015 inches. The Star bullets have an exposed lead hollow point and this has to be why the bullets vary in length so much because when I measured some Hornandy XTP's and Speer Gold Dots and those ony varied in length by 0.003 inches. Huge Difference.

I guess I should not use these loads as accuracy loads that's for sure. Has anyone else had this problem with JHP bullets that have an exposed lead nose? Even the chead cast bullets that I shoot only vary by 0.005 inch in length.

Just thought I would share this information.

Good Shooting!!

Boo586
Old October 1, 2002, 10:33 AM   #2
Steve Smith

I take it you are shooting a pistol? What caliber, .357? What distance? What load? IF not more than 50 yards, and not a HOT load, try them for accuracy anyway...the differences may not affect accuracy as much as you think in your case.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 1, 2002, 10:55 AM   #3
Mikul

I use Star bullets because of their great price for jacketed rounds. I get exceptional accuracy out of them in 9mm. While shooting rapid fire at 20 yards, I had a guy ask if I was a bullseye shooter because of the near one-hole group from my CZ-75.

While shooting 8-inch steel plates at 50 yards, I was the only guy hitting them on the first shot (and knocking them down, too).

I don't have a problem with them.
Old October 1, 2002, 11:27 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

As suggested in above posts....
Give em a try and see how they do.
They will probably do just fine.

Just for grins tho....you might weigh a few and see what the spread in weights is.

Sam
Old October 1, 2002, 11:27 PM   #5
Colduglandon

Where are you purchasing the Star bullets. Bought a bunch of them a while back and will need to replenish stock soon. Took down a Ram at 200 meters with a 158 gr hollow point, open iron sites, sitting down unsupported. Of course it was not on the first shot. But it felt good anyway.
Old October 2, 2002, 08:14 AM   #6
Boo586

Paul,

I actually purchased the bullets directly from Star here in Indianapolis, Indiana. That was before they changed their policy of selling to anyone, to only selling to FFL holders.

The only place that I know of that sells them locally is a place called "A to Z Reloading" here in Indianapolis. They generally have awesome prices. They are who I visit to get my reloading supplies when I get to that side of town or to a gun show. I am sure they would give you a price on a box of 500 or 1000 and ship them to you. Here is their phone number.

1-888-221-4749 or 317-487-1222

Boo586
Old October 2, 2002, 10:24 AM   #7
Master Blaster

Why dont you call star and tell them your problem, it maybe thet it was a bad batch, part broke on the machine or a new employee.

They may send you another box free.

That sounds like a lot of varriation from such a large bullet manufacturer.
Old October 3, 2002, 10:50 AM   #8
Mikul

I get mine from T & T Reloading in Pennsylvania
Old October 3, 2002, 04:41 PM   #9
Poodleshooter

I get mine from the same place as Mikul.
I just loaded some up the other day and OAL's were fine. The usual problem with these and other revolver bullets is that the cannelures are often not aligned perfectly, though the bullets are usually close to the same length.
Old October 5, 2002, 06:32 AM   #10
LAH

We load lots of Star 45-230 FMJ. They seem to do fine. I've never tried the .357's.