The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2000, 09:22 AM   #1
Bullwinkle

I'm getting ready to set my 550b up for reloading 10mm and I'm trying to decide which dies to get. I'd also like to have the setup work for 40 too if possible. The brass is from glocks so will have the pot belly problem so a sizing die that will work low on the case is important. Any suggestions? Go with the dillon set, pick and choose from various sources....
Old May 2, 2000, 12:13 PM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Most all dies will get the bulge out. That is the problem with reloading cases shot from a Glock. The lower case, in most instances, will remain .001-.002" larger than the belly. Considering that the bulge is about .011-.013" expanded, a .002" deviation is not bad. Just remember, only use these cases about 5 times and discard. Start with new, unfired cases. And, use minimum charges only.

Robert
Old May 2, 2000, 01:52 PM   #3
AF Shooter

Bullwinkle,
I really like my Lee dies for .40 Liberty/10mm. To be honest though, the sizing die in my set doesn't size the cases all the way to the bottom. I sometimes find sized cases that won't fit into my case check gauge. However, as discussed in one of the other threads, they will still chamber in the weapon. I usually don't keep these cases.
If you decide to go with the Lee dies, I would suggest RCBS lock-rings for them.

------------------
Tom Whitman
SSgt, USAF
Old May 2, 2000, 11:36 PM   #4
bk40

Bullwinkle,

I've got .40 brass and bullets for sale in gear and access forum. 2 sets of dies incl free.
Old May 3, 2000, 08:47 AM   #5
Bullwinkle

bk40....
Sorry already have plenty of 40 brass. I'm looking for 10mm brass and dies.

What do you think of the Lee Factory Crip die? Will that do both calibers or do I need one for each?

I've heard that the Dillon dies have too much radius on the sizing die (to promote easy feeding) and this does nothing to help the "glock brass" problem.

Whats different about the RCBS lock rings?

Does anyone have any experience with the EGW sizing die shown at http://www.egw-guns.com/parts_dies.htm

Old May 3, 2000, 02:47 PM   #6
Banzai

I love the Lee factory crimp die for 10mm/40, but it gets too little use, as I have Lee 40 carbide reloading/sizing dies! You can just back out the bullet seat die and use 'em to load 10mm, too(which I do). Never in about 10,000 rounds have I had a problem resizing "Glock bulged" brass in 40, and the crimp die barely kisses the cases on post sizing operations for me.

Like AF said, they (resized Glock bulgies) may not fit a check die (they often do, though!), but they sure shoot just fine!

RCBS lock rings have a brass set screw to positively lock the adjustment, not some BS squishy rubber O rings. They're worth their weight in GOLD if you have to switch your dies from tool head to tool head!

Tom

PS, that EGW die looks cool, but you probably will never need it, unless you plan on resizing MAJOR amounts of Glock fodder.
------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

[This message has been edited by Banzai (edited May 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Banzai (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old May 4, 2000, 09:10 AM   #7
Bullwinkle

All my brass is glock brass so I guess I'm loading "major" ammounts.

I think I'lll go with the EGW die in station 1, dillion powder in #2, dillion seating in #3, and Lee Factory Crip in #4.

Time to start ordering.
Old May 4, 2000, 08:40 PM   #8
TomB

".40 Liberty"?

I prefer "10mm Short" myself...
Old May 4, 2000, 09:34 PM   #9
Banzai

Just use caution. I've used a Lee undersized die for 40/10mm and found that with some brass, there can be difficulty in flaring the case to accept the bullet. Work up loads with one set of dies, and if you change sizing dies, work 'em up again, as neck tension (which is what really holds the bullet in, not the taper crimp) will be different, which will lead to pressure differences.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!