The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 6, 2001, 10:03 PM   #26
clem

Down here in Tucson you sure don't want to let your cat wander out and about. Small dogs too. Something will get them and add them to the food chain.
Yes, I recall the Jaguar siteing a few years back. A couple of weeks back some guy got attacked by a Black Bear in the Santa Rita Mts, south of Tucson. He's okay, G&F captured and killed the bear, to bad.
Clem
Old June 29, 2001, 07:18 PM   #27
KO5A

I am with Keith Rogan on this.

Hunting in bear country is 'real hunting',
and I can only dream of hearing wolves howl
(here in suburban Maryland),
but I've got plans....
Old July 2, 2001, 09:27 AM   #28
Kharn

Montgomery County has a mountain lion population? How much have they spread into Southern MD (St. Mary's, Anne Arundal, Calvert, Etc)? My Boy Scout troop always went out to the woods without a care in the world or even an AR7 for backup and that was only like 2 years ago.

Kharn
Old July 2, 2001, 08:31 PM   #29
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I know that here in CO the PETA-types have stuck items up for popular vote/ballot initiatives which does "manage" our wildlife. We got a ban on spring bear hunts (bad for the bear's children, you see), some (mumble) thing to do with predator control, etc. & ad :barf: Too, the DOW seems to becoming more & more so politicized by the money aspects. DOW heavily supports their Wildlife Viewing Project which is funded by the hunters dollars for non-hunters. Anybody see a conflict of interest there?

No argument with anyone's posts above - merely pointing out that we here haven't yet reached an equilibrium vis a vis the "Oh, I do so wish to pet a wild bear"-folks & others that, shall we say, have feet that actually touch the ground .... Too, you would not believe the shinanigans of the Save the Prarie Dog (rat) bliss-ninnies which abound in large numbers. Alas, no posted season to cull that herd as yet ....

If killer bees were only a bit more cuddly, we would have some idiot proposing protection of same ... takes all kinds (I guess).