The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
tynimiller

Wanted to share a Piebald button buck we got running around!

This little guy has been on our trail cams for some time now and I figured I'd share some pics with you guys. We've contacted every hunter we could think of in our hunting area to form a collective agreement to let him walk this year minimum. Some of them stated they'll try not to shoot him...hope they stay true on their word. He'd look awesome full body mounted (I don't have that kind a money though) so if he is still around in a year or two...I'd mount him for sure though on the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0135.jpg (249.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0168.jpg (244.8 KB, 137 views)
Old October 3, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Pahoo

They are pretty !!

Have only seen one other Piebald and he was in a protected park. They are beautiful when all grown up and smooth. Nice picture and hope he makes it for a few seasons. Full mount would be fantastic.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 3, 2011, 11:32 AM   #3
tynimiller

Dad hunted on the ground yesterday and had this little dude come within 10 feet of his ground blind. That would have been awesome to see...taking little flip cam with me incase he comes by me.
Old October 3, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
kep150

why would anyone shoot a fawn?
Old October 3, 2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Hawg

We've got a lot of piebald deer around here. I've got a piebald hide in the freezer.
Old October 3, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6
waterboy68

Ha! if I had seen that in the woods I would have thought someone lost a goat!! Looks just like a goat without any horns. LOL! Hope he makes it through the season!
Old October 3, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
tynimiller

Hawg...that's crazy if you have a ton of them...pretty sweet though!
Old October 3, 2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Pahoo

It is what it is !!

Quote:
why would anyone shoot a fawn?
Technically it's not a Fawn, but a Yearling and no matter, as he would have to be 4 or5 years for me to even consider shooting it. They are really neat to run into, I mean to see in the woods..

Be Safe !!!
Old October 3, 2011, 12:39 PM   #9
tynimiller

Pahoo...no way hunters in the area would let him grow that old...which is why I'm probably just gonna let one of them shoot it next season and come see it. That way I don't eat a tag on a small buck and still get to see a rarity in our neck of the woods.
Old October 3, 2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Pahoo

What was I thinking ???

Quote:
Pahoo...no way hunters in the area would let him grow that old
You're right as it would not last that long here either. He is going to get real smart, in a very short time. I have seen pictures of some big ones though. Just enjoy this treat for as long as you can. .....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=jas/jKHqUpl

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; October 3, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old October 3, 2011, 01:20 PM   #11
rantingredneck

About 5-6 years ago my father in law and I were walking back to the truck from the morning stand hunt when a piebald doe crossed the trail in front of us. She was HUGE and I have no idea how she'd made it that long with all that white on her. My FIL fired and missed (muzzleloader) and she was gone. About a half second later the buck (normal brown coloration) that was running with her stopped dead still in the trail and looked at us. That was his last mistake (My muzzleloader was still charged ).

That was the only piebald deer I've ever seen in person and I've not seen another in that area since, though others have reported several. Possibly offspring of that big ol' doe we saw that day.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old October 3, 2011, 02:36 PM   #12
FrontSight

I've seen one while driving in CT. Was arguing w/ the Mrs. and it stopped me mid-sentence, lol.
Old October 6, 2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Shotgun693

Down in Brazoria County, Texas, close to Alvin there's a herd of white Whitetail Deer. And yes they are for sure WT Deer. My late F-I-L used to feed'm.